Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Info on generator

Hi everyone,
I have a question about generators. I have a 2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 340RK and want to have a generator either installed or a portable one for camping overnight where electrical service isn't available.
If I go the portable route what size generator do I need. We have 50A service, 2 a/c's and I need to know what size and how do you hook it up to unit. I have a front compartment that is supposedly ready with metal floor and aired to outside on both sides and 2 batteries but I would let a professional install it for sure.
If anyone knows the approximate cost I would appreciate that too. Thanks to everyone who can help me.
navygrandparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Always Learning

Here's what you need to know about generators - types, sizing, brands, and some safety notes:
LearnToRV: Generators
Old 07-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Team

If you want to run two a/c's, with one of them probably being 15k, I'd go with the built-in one, like an Onan.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #4

what you want to do with the generator determines the size needed.

assuming you want to be able to run both a/c's and some other things you are probably looking at a generator in the 5500 to 6000 watt range. a portable one in that size is going to be very very heavy! most would go with a built in onan 5500. that will cost you in the $6K to $8K range installed. (full disclosure - we have an onan 5500).

now if you can live with only 1 a/c you can get by with a generator in the 3500 watt range. you could install a built in onan 4000 watt, but it is just marginally less expensive than the onan 5500. there are two options in portable generators of this size. you could get a single unit in the 3500 watt range. they are over 100 lbs. or you could get a couple of the smaller 2000 watt generators and pair them together.

some will say you can run a single a/c on a single 2200 watt generator and some will say you can run 2 a/c's on a 3500 watt generator. i'm sure there are people that are able to do this. it may or may not take some modifications to the a/c's themselves (easy starts). my point is that you really need to do your research.

you hook the generators to your existing shore power cord. you may need an adapter to adapt the 50 amp cord to the generators.

i can't give costs on the portable generators as there are many different brands all over the price curve. the general consensus is to use inverter generators as opposed open frame contractor generators as the inverter generator as quieter.

get some coffee and spend spend some hours reading all the posts about this topic.

there are many many posts on this subject.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:52 PM   #5

Micro air easy starts in the AC units will allow you to run both units on a 3500 harbor freight generator. The micro airs are not exactly cheap but less costly than an onan.

I did that in our Columbus for a while, but for long drives we’ve been doing, I installed a 5500 onan LP.

With the portable generator you plug in like shore power and I don’t think you can drive with that big cord!
Jason and Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

Info on generator

I use a Champion 3500/4000W portable generator and when we travel, I secure it on the fold down bike rack. It will handle 1 A/C, lights, fridge, exhaust fan, & TV. It doesn’t take up space in the front basement and I can also carry it in the front of my truck bed. It allows me a back up genny to use at home in case I need one. Works for me.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
I use a Champion 3500/4000W portable generator and when we travel, I secure it on the fold down bike rack. It will handle 1 A/C, lights, fridge, exhaust fan, & TV. It doesn’t take up space in the front basement and I can also carry it in the front of my truck bed. It allows me a back up genny to use at home in case I need one. Works for me.
The only Champion 3500w/4000w generator I know of, since I own one, is an open-frame contractor-style generator and is very loud.
Mine is strictly for home backup power usage, never in a campground. The DW would set fire to it, if I took it to a campground.
It's not appropriate for campground usage but perfect for motor races, desert camping or boondocking away from others.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Retired

Info on generator

This is my brother in-laws gen. Had it installed by a elec. contractor in LA . It will run his 5th wheel and my Columbus 340RK without flinching:
Gen. in front storage compartment
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2646.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	212472
Inside Control panel
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	212473