Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Insert dvd, can hear it, but can't see it on tv

Need help. Have 2016 Puma XLE 30DBSC and just installed Emerson 32" tv in living room. Have a Boss Audio am/fm/cd/dvd player installed right underneath tv mount. Can insert dvd and hear the sound but not seeing it on tv screen. Checked every cable known to check. What am I missing???????
Pharmgal2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Did you go into the television's menu and change the input?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

I changed it from regular tv to video. On our tv, after you scroll through all digital channels, HDMI 1 appears, then HDMI 2 appears then COMPONENT appears and then VIDEO appears with a blank screen.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
Site Team

How did you connect the DVD player to the TV ( Cable type?).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

It's not a basic dvd player. It's a wall mounted am/fm radio that's plays dvds. I have the 3 cables that run from it plugged directly into the back of the tv. Have sound, just no picture.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

I feel like I am missing a video cable somewhere or I need to go buy one maybe????
Old 05-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #7

Did you stop at COMPONENT to see if the picture came in? Did you stop at the two HDMI inputs to see if the picture came in?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

Yes and all 3 are blank screens
Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

I'm just gonna take it back to the rv center where I bought it and have one of their technicians look at it.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #10

tv dvd hookup

I'm no expert, but along with the usual RCA cables, red and white, for stereo sound, there should be a yellow for video. OR: there is an HDMI port on the player, and an HDMI port on the TV. OR: there is a digital video out, which is an ORANGE hubbed RCA-ish looking plug, that goes into an ORANGE port on the TV. It is a special digital cable and regular RCA jacks won't work on it.
Most often it is a combo of these cables that is your final solution.
A trip to the vender is often the only solution, since the manufacturer just throws these things in there, and no telling HOW they are hooked up.
I have owned 5 different rigs, and NONE were hooked up right.
As noted above, when playing, scan the input sources, and stop at each one for a few moments to see if the signal is coming through. It might be "Video" "Game"
"HDMI" 1 or 2, or someother combo. Check your manuals for player and TV, too.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmgal2211 View Post
It's not a basic dvd player. It's a wall mounted am/fm radio that's plays dvds. I have the 3 cables that run from it plugged directly into the back of the tv. Have sound, just no picture.
OK what do the connectors on those three cables look like. If all three are the same connector (RCA) but different colors ( red, white, yellow) then make sure you select composite video on the input select during set up on the tv. If the wall unit has video out selection, select composite.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #12

I have the red and white cables plugged in and yes, there is a yellow cable from the radio setup, but there is no yellow connector on the back of the tv. I saw orange and purple and 2 HDMI ports for cables.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #13

We had the same trouble with ours. The cables were all connected, and we followed the instructions step by step still nothing. Finally threw the instructions away and experimented on our on. The thing started working.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #14

Take a pic of the 'Composite' jacks on the TV and post. That yellow cable needs to be plugged in to get video. Often, it's a green jack that's labeled 'Y/V' or something like that. Or, leave your TV input on Composite and try all the remaining jacks with that yellow cable until you figure it out.
jboot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #15

Check the back of your DVD player. I believe you indicated you were using RCA connectors which are yellow, red and white. Now, be certain that those three connectors are in the OUT ports because the signal is going OUT from the DVD and IN to the TV. Yellow is always the video.

Follow the cable to the back of the TV. Look for the yellow, red and white ports on the TV and choose the IN ports. The ports should be labeled as to where the connection will show on the remote.

It is very easy to confuse in and out with RCA ports, but just remember that you want to go out of the player and in to the TV. Some TVs have out ports as well. These ports feed to a recorder or stereo inputs when viewing OVA (over the air), cable, or dish to record a show or use a stereo amp. You may have in ports on your DVD to play stereo TV through the radio.

If you have an HDMI port on both the DVD and the TV, this is by far the best cable to use. Simple connection and better picture. HMDI is able to carry signals, both sound and picture, in both directions. The cables are cheap on Ebay and Amazon, pricey in the box stores.They come as short as 1 ft and up to several feet.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #16

Is this the DVD radio you have?

Robot Check

If it is, the out RCA plugs are the 3 gray wires with the yellow, red and white female connectors you need to use. Also, I see on the wiring harness that there is a wire marked "parking brake". On mobile applications, the TV picture portion is disabled unless the parking brake is set. This prevent drivers from watching TV while driving. In a travel trailer, you may have to trick the DVD player into thinking it is parked, which, obviously it would be.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmgal2211 View Post
I have the red and white cables plugged in and yes, there is a yellow cable from the radio setup, but there is no yellow connector on the back of the tv. I saw orange and purple and 2 HDMI ports for cables.
The yellow connector is the video. If it is not plugged into the correct connector on the tv you will not have a picture. Either post a detailed photo of the connections on the back of the tv or the make and model so we can look it up. I would not spend any more time until you find out where the yellow cable goes as that is the reason for no video.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #18

It would be very helpful to have the model number of your new Emerson TV...BUT... assuming you've described things correctly, it has no separate YELLOW video in jack for COMPOSITE video...and only has COMPONENT video in jacks.
This is not unusual in new inexpensive TV's since mfrs are cutting costs and not including obsolete jacks..even if much obsolete source material still exists! NOW...some mfrs (but not all) are allowing you to plug your YELLOW composite cable from your souce into the GREEN component in jack:

Try this using the red & white audio jacks for your sound and just your yellow cable for video...being SURE to leave the Pr & Pb jacks open. Use your TV menu to select VIDEO source with your source playing. If nothing is seen after 10 seconds...use the COMPONENT choice. If you see a good picture...fine. If you see a black & white picture ...then it will not work on your TV.
There ARE adapters which will take in a composite signal and convert to an HDMI plug but they are not cheap and will also require a power source.
I found one Emerson 32" TV with component/composite green jack on line.
LF320EM5F and it matches my above picture:

If yours looks like this...it should work in the green jack. The manual says:
"Component (Y/Pb/Pr) / Composite Video (VIDEO) Input jacks
for VIDEO
Composite Video Input (VIDEO) jack is a shared jack with
Component Video Input (Y) jack.

If this still doesn't work...I'd change our the Yellow cable first...then I would suspect the new TV if your were getting video to your old one from the player.
Hope this helps.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #19

I would go with HDMI and forget the cables.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:10 AM   #20
I go RV'ing not Camping

YPbPr RGB Component Audio Video to Composite AV Converter Scaler Adapter | eBay

This should convert your yellow cable to work with your tv inputs
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd