Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Interested in Sabre 36qbok

Hello,

My wife and I currently own a travel trailer which we bought not too long ago. Since buying it we have become interested in living in an RV fulltime while I finish out my years to my military retirement.

We have 3 children ages 8, 5, and 3. We have been looking at the Sabre 36qbok and wondered if anyone had experience camping with it in the wintertime?

I know that their website says it has R-28 in the floor, R-28 in the roof and R-9 in the walls. Is there an option to add more insulation factor?

We are already thinking about having the dual pane windows put in.

We are also looking at upgrading our tow vehicle if needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek & Melany
5travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Always Learning

We camp in late spring and early fall, but no winter camping. The bunkhouse was pretty chilly some of those nights. I think double-pane windows might help.

What area are you thinking of dealing with winters in?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

ependydad, thanks for the reply. We will be in Kansas during winter, where its possible to get a few snows.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Always Learning

Oh, sounds cold! We use propane mostly for heating- we generally keep it at 72 or so. We usually go through close to a 30 lb. tank of propane in a weekend.

It would be less if you used electric heaters and supplemented the heat somehow.

As well- the 1/2 bath has neither heat nor air conditioning vents.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Very good info on the cold weather camping. Thanks

On a another note, from everything I am reading, it seems that the 1 ton dually is the way to go for towing. In your experience is that the way to go. We currently tow with 2011 F250 SRW.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Always Learning

Sooooooo... everyone's opinion differs on this. For me, I want to stay within all of the published ratings of my truck and that demands a 350. Some of the 2013 vehicles have the payload ratings to support the pin weight, but I still feel like there's a lot of stability that the training wheels add.

Personally, I wouldn't tow this camper with less than a 3500 and a dually at that. Especially with the weight of a 5-person family.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Always Learning

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE MY 36QBOK! I'm not sure I'd want to spend a cold winter in it. The double pane windows would be required, at least. But even the floor itself is chilly.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't tow a qbok with anything less then a 1 ton dually either.
Just my opinion.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

thanks guys for the info. Sold on the 1 ton dually idea for towing for sure. Will be selling/trading the f250 Still not sure on the cold weather camping quite yet.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #10

I camped a couple nights (on way home from dealer in Ohio) in lower teens in our 34tbok. Had an edenpure heater running once plugged in, and another cheap heater in the master. It was plenty warm, but propane furnace still ran often. If you were at a long term spot, and could add underpinning to help the cold from below, had 50a electrical hookups, and a larger bulk propane tank, I think it could be doable. There is a thread here somewhere about a family living in their Columbus bunkhouse in northern MN this last winter. Maybe someone can get you a link as it'd be a decent read for you.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #11

Thanks jtstomsburg!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

You have a lot to think about, If you plan an making this your home for your family of five, will you be on a permanent lot? If so do you really need to buy a bigger truck at this time?

With three young children, are you sure there will be enough room for those long winter nights when it gets dark at 6PM and everyone will be inside? I could go on and on but you get the point. Think long and hard before you jump.

What ever you decide, good luck and happy camping.

=BC-

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We camp in late spring and early fall, but no winter camping. The bunkhouse was pretty chilly some of those nights. I think double-pane windows might help.

What area are you thinking of dealing with winters in?
We ordered our Sabre with the double-pane windows and they do help a lot when running both furnace and AC.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #14

5Travelers----I don't know about the whole, "dually's are the way to go" theory. Yeah, I guess if we were full timers and were on the road 10 months out of the year, I'd go with a dually too. Probably more like a toter. That said, we pull our QBOK with a 2012 F350 diesel SRW and it pulls/handles awesome. I have ordered airbags for it but that's more for piece-of-mind than anything. I can't justify a dually for an everyday driver vs. something we will use a half dozen time (over the road) a year. Bottom line is, if your weights are all in line (legally speaking) you would just fine with a SRW---IMO. Happy decision making!!
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post
Bottom line is, if your weights are all in line (legally speaking) you would just fine with a SRW---IMO. Happy decision making!!
Heck, truth be told - there seem to be only a few places where it's really just a "legal" thing - though, I wholeheartedly agree that you should stick within all of your weight ratings regardless of SRW vs. DRW.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #16

Being a CDL driver trainer, I feel obligated to 'err' on the side of caution and being as responsible as possible. That said, there will ALWAYS be those who will 'push' the envelope.

Regarding the DRW vs. SRW, ask yourself why it is a lot of trucking companies have gone to Super Singles on their trucks and trailers.....cost, cost, cost....and fuel savings! Has really nothing to do with weight numbers.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote