Old 05-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
I have called the dealer, but, with them more than 100 miles away, and with me needing to leave Wednesday, I do not think the dealer is going to be much help. They do provide one year of mobile service, so maybe there.

I checked my truck tonight, and do not think that is the issue. I used the plug tester on my truck and my wife's (which is also a 2012 Ram CTD) and they both are the same, and she's never had an issue with her horse trailer. So tomorrow I'll start looking on the trailer. I did find the code the controller was displaying, and it is for a short circuit. Checking the box at the pin should be too bad. For the brakes themselves, I guess I'll have to jack it up and remove the rim and hub?

Thanks for the input!

2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited CCLB CTD
2014 Columbus 320RS
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Here's a basic wiring diagram for electric trailer brakes.
You should be able to use a Multi Meter to test for wiring concerns. I don't know what the resistance of the brake solenoids should be, though.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams |

2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
I crawled under the unit today as I was sanitizing the water system. The first tire (drivers side front) where the wires come back is a bit tight, but, other than that, no obvious issues. Time to test the circuits.
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited CCLB CTD
2014 Columbus 320RS
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Here are some testing tips if you don't already have this...

Testing Trailer Brake Magnets for Proper Function |

This may help without the need to pull tires.
Walter & Donna
2011 CC LB RAM 3500 CTD 6.7L DRW
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL
2014 Days Camping: 35

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
I had simular problem on my Columbus 320RS. Look in junction box where trailer plug goes to. Remove cover and look at all connection to make sure every wire is securely crimped. Mine had the blue wire partially crimpped. Also look where the brake wires go into the axle, (no gromet) the insulation was worn off and wires were grounding to the axle. (no brakes/intermittent brakes). All was repaired and brakes work fine.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Beautiful Rig and TV. Hope you get it straightened out before your trip. Love the Dodge CTD!!!
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44)2014-(59)
Nights Camped 2015-(47)2016-23
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Brakes only have two wires. Look at the inside/backside of the wheels for the two. One goes forward to the tow unit, Brakes are supposed to always be blue wires. the other goes to the frame for the ground. It don't matter what wire is going forward, the brakes will work with either being the power in wire. Also check where the wires cross over to the other side, and clean out that greas.

slacktime is offline   Reply With Quote