Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Just got it home - with break trouble

About 90 miles from the dealership, my trailer brakes went out. My beak controller said 'check trailer brake wiring'. I pulled over, fiddled with everything, and no breaks. I made it home, and about 10 miles from home, they started working again. I'm thinking loose wire, but, I'm not a mechanic.

This has me worried, with my first trip next Wednesday.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #2

Ugh!!!! Do you know someone close to home that can check it for you?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post

About 90 miles from the dealership, my trailer brakes went out. My beak controller said 'check trailer brake wiring'. I pulled over, fiddled with everything, and no breaks. I made it home, and about 10 miles from home, they started working again. I'm thinking loose wire, but, I'm not a mechanic.

This has me worried, with my first trip next Wednesday.
Did the brakes freeze up on you while traveling (you didn't say) ? If not , the first things I suggest checking would be your fuses, wires, TV cable connection ( both ends ).
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

I would methodically go through it this weekend using the following troubleshooting....

TV: Check the connector you plug the trailer umbilical into... Look for rust or corrosion.

Camper: Ours has a terminal box up inside the pin box area. Take the cover off and check connectors/wires.

Axles: Check connectors and wires around each wheel...

Move your truck in close so as to be able to plug in the cord... and watch your brake controller. Wiggle wires and connectors in all of the above locations and watch for changes on the brake controller.

Nice rig - hope you get it straight and have a great holiday weekend.

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

No, the brakes didn't freeze, the didn't respond, and the brake controller could not detect them. And then they worked as I arrived home, so it's intermittent.

The truck is only a couple months old. The connector does have greace in it; I'd assume electric-compatable.

I'll go through it as recommended. I hope it is something obvious. The big issue will be trying to do all of this myself, as I have no one to help me this weekend. So I'll do what I can.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
No, the brakes didn't freeze, the didn't respond, and the brake controller could not detect them. And then they worked as I arrived home, so it's intermittent.

The truck is only a couple months old. The connector does have greace in it; I'd assume electric-compatable.

I'll go through it as recommended. I hope it is something obvious. The big issue will be trying to do all of this myself, as I have no one to help me this weekend. So I'll do what I can.
Some electrical problems are easily detected e.g. Broken wire, loose connection and others are not. Without going out on a limb here, I would say your problem is something simple - hope I am correct.

Does your TV brake controller respond to different settings when you try to adjust it up or down?

Start from the front ( under hood fuses) and go back from there. I am assuming you are using a VOM when checking for power at the plugs.

Let us know what you find and good luck.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #7

It does sound like a loose ground wire somewhere in the string.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

It should be simple. With the brakes, all you have to deal with is 1 wire and a ground. Get a plug wiring diagram (do a search on here there are several) and a meter and go to work. I would wash out the grease and replace with a light lubricant. I use WD40 as a water repellent.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
It does sound like a loose ground wire somewhere in the string.
That would be the first thing I would check as well, and the problem is likely with the camper, not the truck.
It would be a lot easier if you had someone to watch the controller while you fiddle with the wires.
And that is a really nice rig, you sure don't want to be going anywhere without dependable brakes.
Good luck.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #10

Call your dealer.... a 2014 should be under bumper to cap warranty!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #11

I have called the dealer, but, with them more than 100 miles away, and with me needing to leave Wednesday, I do not think the dealer is going to be much help. They do provide one year of mobile service, so maybe there.

I checked my truck tonight, and do not think that is the issue. I used the plug tester on my truck and my wife's (which is also a 2012 Ram CTD) and they both are the same, and she's never had an issue with her horse trailer. So tomorrow I'll start looking on the trailer. I did find the code the controller was displaying, and it is for a short circuit. Checking the box at the pin should be too bad. For the brakes themselves, I guess I'll have to jack it up and remove the rim and hub?

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #12

Here's a basic wiring diagram for electric trailer brakes.
You should be able to use a Multi Meter to test for wiring concerns. I don't know what the resistance of the brake solenoids should be, though.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #13

I crawled under the unit today as I was sanitizing the water system. The first tire (drivers side front) where the wires come back is a bit tight, but, other than that, no obvious issues. Time to test the circuits.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #14

Here are some testing tips if you don't already have this...

Testing Trailer Brake Magnets for Proper Function | etrailer.com

This may help without the need to pull tires.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #15

I had simular problem on my Columbus 320RS. Look in junction box where trailer plug goes to. Remove cover and look at all connection to make sure every wire is securely crimped. Mine had the blue wire partially crimpped. Also look where the brake wires go into the axle, (no gromet) the insulation was worn off and wires were grounding to the axle. (no brakes/intermittent brakes). All was repaired and brakes work fine.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Beautiful Rig and TV. Hope you get it straightened out before your trip. Love the Dodge CTD!!!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #17

Brakes only have two wires. Look at the inside/backside of the wheels for the two. One goes forward to the tow unit, Brakes are supposed to always be blue wires. the other goes to the frame for the ground. It don't matter what wire is going forward, the brakes will work with either being the power in wire. Also check where the wires cross over to the other side, and clean out that greas.
slacktime is offline   Reply With Quote