Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Just ordered new 320 RS Columbus and a question

we ordered our 320 RS this past Monday and got most options( low profile air, roto flex pin box, fireplace,3 slide toppers, 6 way level, daul pane windows, kitchen vent, heat pump, king bed, serta trump, fiberglass rear cap, generator prep, strong arm stabilixer, wood plank floor. 2 deluxe recliners) crean and brown. the question I have is the generator prep a good idea???

Thanks for all the good help on the forum have been reading the last two weeks.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #2

WOW! that will be one sweet unit!
We are ordering gen prep because we like to boondock a few times a year. We know that our batteries can be compromised if ran too low, so we want the generator to run some lights, charge things like our laptops and to recharge our batteries. We are considering a solar panel set-up, but we want the prep in place.
We can wait together as we should be ordering by Wednesday.
ritzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Trailer Trash

What do you want to use while the generator is running? Answer that, and you will have your answer to generator prep. IF you are only going to run a couple items, you may be better off with one of those small portable generators. We use a Honda EU2000I for ice fishing. Runs all nite in the bitter cold and is very quiet.
Honda Generators: Portable Generator Power for Home, Work, and Play
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd riders
we ordered our 320 RS this past Monday and got most options( low profile air, roto flex pin box, fireplace,3 slide toppers, 6 way level, daul pane windows, kitchen vent, heat pump, king bed, serta trump, fiberglass rear cap, generator prep, strong arm stabilixer, wood plank floor. 2 deluxe recliners) crean and brown. the question I have is the generator prep a good idea???

Welcome to the forum !
Congrats on the pending arrival of your new unit .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #5

That's going to be one sweeeet camper, congrats.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #6

You will enjoy your Columbus 320RS. Let us know how you like it when you get a chance to take it on its maiden voyage.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for you quick response, dealer said it should take 8-10 weeks get in.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #8

Sounds great. We just ordered ours this week also, can't wait until it comes in. We hope to get out a couple of times this year with it. I too contemplated
the generator prep. I think I need to look into it a little more, to see exactly what comes with it, and where the hook up is.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

So what did you order, Sporoo? These things must be hard to keep on the lots...and there must be a rush to get them out of the factory! At least we will have lots of fellow owners to watch for on our trips! Did you trade in your Spree?
ritzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #10

Generator prep

I did alot of research re: generators & visited the Columbus factory 2 times. The generator prep is not really needed unless you intend to also have the factory install their $5000 plus system.
I did not want to bother with gas so I purchased a propane portable 3500 peak/3000 continuous watt generator by ETQ, model PG30P11. It cost only $450 from Camping World's web site & yet it supplies pure sine wave power that prevents damage to sensitive electronics such as computers, etc. The weight is only 102 lbs. so my wife & I just lift it out of the front compartment when we use it, plug in the Columbus 50amp power cord with a 50 to 30 amp adapter attached, attach the generator to the 3rd propane tank located on the road side of the Columbus (I exchanged the factory standard 20 lb tank for a 30 lb tank which fits the compartment just fine) & wheel the generator away from the Columbus as far as my propane hose extends so that we hardly even hear the generator running when we are inside. This generator runs either our 13.5 KW or the 15 KW a/c with heat pump just fine. It will not run both A/Cs at the same time of course. Just this week we decided to try leaving the generator in front of the hitch in the bed of our F350 shortbed. This also works really well while leaving the Columbus front compartment empty.
This system works really well and cost only $450 plus $20 for an extended propane hose which gives me a reach of 20 ft. This compares to around $5500 for a factory installed gen (which is much more powerful at around 5-6K watts but also weights alot more). I just don't need that large of a system.
If you plan to consider a system like mine I'll give you instructions on how to adapt the Columbus's propane system.
Good Luck & have fun with your new Columbus. We really enjoy ours.

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #11

Chaps, please let me know the process you used to hook up your genny to propane from your Columbus.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #12

If you can still do it, i'd see if they can put in a different RADIO in the basement other than the CHEAP round thing they put in mine (and others)-- it has No preset channels, no clock, looses ability to change volumn, no CD player and doesn't pickup channels more than 25 miles away-- that might be the antenna-- its a little stripn the basement-- see if they can put on a rooftop antenna for the radio.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #13

Are you saying that the factory supplied system is gasoline and not propane?

How did you fit a 30lb bottle on the lp bottle rack? The door height for that compartment doesn't appear tall enough to clear that big a bottle sitting in the sliding rack.

I was quoted MSRP $4500 for the generator, but it ends up being much less when you get thru negotiating your final price - so 30% less or so.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Factory Rep

Chaps, your mini gen. is a neat way to go. I'd never heard of doing that
The Columbus 5.5 gen. is a propane.
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125
If you can still do it, i'd see if they can put in a different RADIO in the basement other than the CHEAP round thing they put in mine (and others)-- it has No preset channels, no clock, looses ability to change volumn, no CD player and doesn't pickup channels more than 25 miles away-- that might be the antenna-- its a little stripn the basement-- see if they can put on a rooftop antenna for the radio.
I agree with hotrodj125. The sound quality and reception for that little radio is very poor. I feel Columbus should have put a better quality radio in their units.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd riders View Post

I see you ordered the fibreglass rear cap. What does it look like and what are the advantages to it? Is anyone able to post a pic of this cap?

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #17

I have a pic of the fiberglass cap on the i-pad and will see post it. Don't know if there is an advantage it just looks better than the flat back on the trailer.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Ok good. I will look forward to seeing it. We still have time to change our options on our order. How much was that option?

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #19

You can see a 365 with the cap at Liberty RV web site the cost was 690 list price. Hope that helps
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzyteach View Post
So what did you order, Sporoo? These things must be hard to keep on the lots...and there must be a rush to get them out of the factory! At least we will have lots of fellow owners to watch for on our trips! Did you trade in your Spree?
ritzyteach, sorry to take so long getting back, been a crazy week. We ordered ours with the bedroom a/c, kitchen and bath rain sensor fans, fireplace, slide toppers, 6 way leveling system, dual pane windows, bedroom tv, bike rack, trump mattress, strong arm stabilizers, 5th airborne sidewinder pin box. Cream color with seville package on interior (subject to change). We ordered ours from Salem RV in central PA. If anyone knows of a good campground to stay at when we pick it up, please let us know. It is i Sellensgrove Pa.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote