Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

Kingpin Cover on 36QBOK

Hello all, my first post here! I bought a 36QBOK and picked it up a week ago. I live in CT and got it in NC because there aren't any dealers around here. When I picked it up I had to have the dealer adjust the kingpin to bring the nose of the camper down. When they were done they told me they couldn't put the cover piece back on. It appears to me as well that it won't fit now. Why would they design a cover for an adjustable kingpin if it doesn't fit when you adjust the kingpin? Is there a remedy for this? I am including a picture to show the cover (and my awesome new camper!!!)

mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

Congrats on the new Sabre!! As far as the cover, I had to replace mine under warranty because it kept cracking. Even after replacing, I had to heavily modify the way it mounted and the knotches in it so it would clear the pin frame. My new Sabre won't have one and I'm good with that. I'm sure you could cut away part of it to make it fit you adjusted hitch if you really want it.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Congrats on the new Sabre!! As far as the cover, I had to replace mine under warranty because it kept cracking. Even after replacing, I had to heavily modify the way it mounted and the knotches in it so it would clear the pin frame. My new Sabre won't have one and I'm good with that. I'm sure you could cut away part of it to make it fit you adjusted hitch if you really want it.
Thanks. I'm glad to hear you are replacing your old Sabre with a new Sabre. I would think that has to say something about the brand. I’m a little nervous making such a big investment with no local dealer support. We will be taking our first trip in a few weeks for opening day of fishing and I’m hoping all goes well. Since we bought it in the winter it has been winterized since I first saw it so hopefully I don’t have any major issues I’m still unaware of. Overall I’m very happy so far though.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Always Learning

Do you have pictures showing the problem that it can't be reinstalled? I'm having a hard time imagining the issue...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

I don't right now, but if you angle the kingpin up, as I did, there is no longer enough room to slide that cover back on. There is less space between the top of the arm and the bottom of the camper.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
I don't right now, but if you angle the kingpin up, as I did, there is no longer enough room to slide that cover back on. There is less space between the top of the arm and the bottom of the camper.
Can you not trim it? But the question is why is it tilted instead of being raised or lowered level?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Very nice looking 5th wheel. We just bought a 312 RKDS and brought it home two days before X-Mas. Living in WI we obviously haven't had a chance to get it out yet either. Ours didn't come with the kingpin cover but I can see how you would want it on there because it does make it look nicer.
BuckyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Can you not trim it? But the question is why is it tilted instead of being raised or lowered level?
So tilting may not be the right term. I think the adjustment actually moves it up and forward as it goes up. I'm not sure trimming will work because of the way it is made but maybe someone has already tried it?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #9

To bad your hitch didn't have a height adjustment on it.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #10

King pin cover

I took an inch and a half off from where the flat part of the cover is at the pin plate, tapered all the way back and rounded the ends in the back. used a drammel tool work slow and smooth...looks good and most people thinks it came that way....
2011: 365
2012: 365
tbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
To bad your hitch didn't have a height adjustment on it.
Can't go any lower on the hitch. I have a pullrite autoslider and the only adjustment is the low profile feet which I already have so this was my next option.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbritt View Post
I took an inch and a half off from where the flat part of the cover is at the pin plate, tapered all the way back and rounded the ends in the back. used a drammel tool work slow and smooth...looks good and most people thinks it came that way....
Awesome, thank you so much. Now I can go at it knowing it is possible and I love using my dremel. lol
Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #13

I had a similar problem when I replaced the stock pin box with a MORryde rubber pin box. I was able to re attach the cover a few inches forward but had to drill some new holes. Also I did do a little trimming on the front edge to avoid contact with the hitch plate.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #14

When we bought our QBOK, we had the PullRite installed too. Because of the 'capture plate' on the pin box the plastic cover won't fit without a little Dremel action also. But, I still haven't found time to do it.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover