Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Ladder to get on top of roof

I just purchased a new puma 2017 it did not come with a ladder can I just put one up there or do I have to take it back to the dealer and let them do it I was told there might be blocks on the roof that the latter and attached to I was wondering if anybody can help me out with this information thank you
fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

My dealer told me that there was noting in the wall to support a ladder so adding one was out of the question so I ended up buying a 12' step ladder.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
My dealer told me that there was noting in the wall to support a ladder so adding one was out of the question so I ended up buying a 12' step ladder.
Yeah I wasn't sure with the new camper now these days. I know my old one I had to reinforce everything to put one up there.but I also read that they are putting blocks on the roof and reinforcing some of them so that you can put a ladder on it yeah I just don't want the dealer to tell me I had to take it to them and pay a bunch of money when I could do it myself because I know it cost me $1,000 to have one put on my old camper
Old 03-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #4

TT'S don't usually have ladders. 5th wheels usually do. I assume that's because of different construction. My new Cottage does not. I have a number of aluminum ladders at home. The lightest and tallest of them will be going camping this season and living there FT. lucky them. Better off than me.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #5

Not sure how many, but most of the new TT's we looked at last year had ladders. They were on my required list to ease roof access. Mine came with one standard.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

When ordering my TT the ladder was an option that I'm getting.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
Site Team

our new 2016 Prima Time Tracer AIR, has no backing for a ladder.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #8

Have you looked at telescoping step ladders?
They collapse for storage.
ktvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Even though my TT came with a rear ladder, I bought one of these. I use it to hang a 5 ft wind chime in a tree. They come in handy around the house, also.
Sears.com
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #10

I bought a 6' one that folds down to 4"x4"x6' from CW (I think)
I can store in in the front compartment of my TT I welded up some brackets and mounted it up out of the way.
It's tall enough to let me check the top of my slide and if need be I can get up on the roof with it.

Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #11

My understanding is that if doesn't come with it, it's not ready for it. That's what I have read.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #12

I feel like more TTs come with ladders now than in the past. My previous 2 TTs did not have ladders (I purchased them pre-owned) so I purchased the telescoping, collapsible kind that others have referenced. The drawback to the telescoping ladder is mine was heavy and I always wore leather gloves when I used the ladder to avoid being pinched when closing the ladder down. I also had a lighter-weight aluminum ladder that folded up similar to the picture Dr-G posted. It was great until it was stolen. Much lighter and did not take up as much space as the telescoping. The TT I purchased last year came with a ladder built on and I will never buy another coach without one. I am no longer afraid to go up on the roof of the coach because the ladder feels so much more stable. I checked on my other 2 TTs and was told a ladder could not be added because the TTs were not built to support adding ladders at a later date.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #13

My V-lite came with a built on ladder. I would not have one without one. I have heard that no ladder, then roof may not support the weight of a person. I go up there often wash, caulk, etc.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

I found out that I can put one up on it it does come already installed from the factory to add a ladder to it
Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #15

There are blocks in the roof that are there to put a ladder but the company said don't do it yourself and they won't tell you where two blocks are located so I have your dealer put it on for you that's what I'm doing
Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #16

No that's not correct about if it doesn't come with a ladder the roof may not support your weight. Most of our tt's at the seasonal do not have attached ladders. In fact I don't think I saw any that do. But we're all up on the roofs to clean and seal them and nobody has ever fallen through. It's really the sidewall that needs the support for the ladder and the blocking on top for at the base of the roof to hold it.

I always was more sure of my safety crawling up a regular ground ladder than I ever was on the fifth wheel ones we had.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #17

I picked up a 12' telescoping ladder from our nearby RV dealer, takes up very little space when stored, and can hold up to 300 lbs.
GT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktvaughan View Post
Have you looked at telescoping step ladders?
They collapse for storage.
This is what I have and I love it. It allows me to use it other places at CG too. Such as prune trees, hang ropes, whatever needed requiring a ladder.
MNTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #19

My Apex didn't come with one but having one installed at the dealer for around $450. They had to verify if it had the blocks first in the walls first though. What I was told at the service center was manufacturers were going away from them do to that fact folks are falling off the roofs dont know how true that it is. Your some what limited on space as it is so I rather have it on the back of the coach then folded up in the pass through compartment.
17' Coachmen Apex 300 BHS
15' Ram CC Laramie 4x4, 3.92
aries75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTodd View Post
This is what I have and I love it. It allows me to use it other places at CG too. Such as prune trees, hang ropes, whatever needed requiring a ladder.
Actually, I have a telescoping extension ladder. Doesn't take too much room, is light, and supports 250 lbs.
MNTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof