Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
Do you want to know why they don't want to do warranty work??

Because the manufacturers require pre-approval of all warranty items. This is a PITA to a dealer that didn't sell the trailer. First, we determine what is wrong. Then we submit the pictures and what we think needs to be done to fix the problem. Usually, a day or two later, we get an approval or not. Then, we need to order parts. Again, takes several days, if we're lucky, to get these parts. Then, our techs need to fix the problem by whatever the manufacturer says is correct. These are all "canned" jobs. If FR says it should take 1/2 hour to change a faulty microwave, then that is what they pay. If it actually takes an hour to do the job right, tough cookies, they pay 1/2 hour. All the while, you, Mr. Customer, are calling every other day to see why your new trailer isn't done yet.
Warranty work DOES NOT PAY, so why should any dealer do it if they didn't sell the unit in the first place??

Done with rant, but if your local dealer wasn't good enough to buy from, why take it there for work......?? Your convenience....?
I gave all local dealers especially this one every opportunity to meet or just come close to their price ... Unfortunately they played a pricing game.
I'm all about local but also about being fair and when their is a $6000 variance ... Between unit and the local less options left over other not built 2013 premium package ????
Well I'll get resolved ... RVW has responded and will call in the am ... I still stand behind my decision ... Local guy lost out on my future business and word of mouth traffic .. Among friends and fellow campers .....

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
Trailer Trash

Have your selling dealer PRE-APROVE a repair faciltiy for you FIRST. That repair facility may not be the closest one, but the work will get done for you.

Like others said, warranty work pays less to repair facility than non warranty work. You will also find out that a local dealer that has nothing to do with Forest River may say heck ya, we will do the warranty repair as that dealer needs the work.

You may also look into mobile RV techs. They come to you instead of you hauling your RV to a repair facility. These guys do warranty repair also. You as RV owner will have to pay the trip charge the mobile tech adds to your bill. But depending on how your RV is setup and were your tow rig is at, mobile RV tech may be a good solution for you.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #13

Thank you for the advise
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #14

If it makes you feel any better we had the same problem but with the local dealer we purchased from! Our dealer constructively refused to do any warranty work for us by not working on our camper for weeks and weeks on end. I won't bore you with all the details, but hard lessons we learned included:

1. Once a dealer has your $$ you really have no leverage.
2. Before purchasing obtain word of mouth referrals.
3. An RV owner really must learn to be quite handy or risk losing precious camping days waiting for repairs.
4. The RV industry is not like the automobile industry.
5. Most of what you need to know to resolve RV issues yourself you will find on this forum.
6. Any Forest River dealer can do warranty work for you. It does not have to be a Puma dealer.

In our case we worked with Forest River and they located another local Forest River dealer who very graciously agreed to perform our warranty work. The caveat - we must pay that dealer in advance and then request reimbursement from Forest River. Sadly that didn't work out either as we never received a check as promised from Forest River.

After trying everything we knew to get the customer service we deserved and failing, we finally made the choice to let the frustration and anger go so we could enjoy our new RV. Despite the rocky start we love our Puma 30RKSS and have resolved all other issues ourselves with the help of this forum. Thanks a million everyone!

Now if someone smarter than us could figure out how to overhaul the RV industry . . . .
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #15

Sorry to hear about your issue. I completely understand trying to save some cash when making a major purchase like a new rv, car, etc. but I never considered buying mine from anyone outside of 100 miles for this reason. I knew at some point I would need service and didn't want to hassle with trying to find someone to do warranty work. I've had mine in the shop twice in the last year and my local dealer (where I purchased the rv) was awesome both times. I hate to quote a cliche, but no matter the item/product/service you usually get what you pay for. Good luck and hope FR comes through for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #16

I suppose since the economy is (on the rise) many dealers aren't hungry anymore, just wait if it takes a downslide. They should work with a product if they sell that type. I bought a VW beetle back in 1970 while I was in the military, new from a dealer in our hometown. My father asked them, if he has problem with it while traveling etc. will they work on it since it wasn't purchased from them? They said yes. A few years later after I came back from Vietnam I was traveling about 2500 miles from home in it. I took it to a dealer in New Mexico and they fixed things even after the warranty had expired while I was on the road. A good practice. An RV Dealer should work with people, because the people are future customers and good advertising for them.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I sent this thread to Dave Durnell of RV Wholesalers.
He should engage on this soon.
Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #18

All I can say is thank you all for good advise ... Regardless your stance on the matter ... My wife and I are just hard working people with a set of 4 year old triplets who invested in a new RV to Enrich their childhood ... And yes I will try to save as much as I can where I can that's my responsibly to family ....
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #19
RVWholesalers Representative

Pullingpete, we WILL get you taken care of tomorrow. My staff will contact you in the morning, and get you an appointment at the nearest repair facility to you to do the work as warranty. All you will have to do is drop the unit off at the scheduled time we give you. All the work will be done as warranty. Thank you for your business, I am sorry you were turned away by a dealer. Please in the future simply contact us and we will take care of everything.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullingpete View Post
All I can say is thank you all for good advise ... Regardless your stance on the matter ... My wife and I are just hard working people with a set of 4 year old triplets who invested in a new RV to Enrich their childhood ... And yes I will try to save as much as I can where I can that's my responsibly to family ....
I can relate a bit to that, Pete. I've got three girls 10 and under and we camp b/c thats how I grew up and our hope is it enriches their childhood as it did mine. You mentioned that you saved $6,000 with RVW and that's phenomenal ( I would have made the same choice as you did to save that amount). Hopefully, this is just a little hiccough in your trailering experience.

Can you let us know how it turns out now that Dave from RVW has reconnected with you?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote