Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
Reading this (and many other) thread makes me glad to be working with my dealer.

I have been looking at trailers for the past several months. I have been to several local dealers. The dealer that I purchased from was always helpful and never pressured me. When I was ready to purchase, I had already received a quote from RVW and RVDirect. Both I thought were very good estimates. I told my local dealer that I had quotes from them but I did not tell him what price they gave me. The price quote he brought me was $200 cheaper than either one. (to use a old saying) I was a happy camper.

We have it on order and should be picking up around the first of March.

I will say that the service issue was a concern that I had with ordering out of state. I do believe that in general, that many business's have lost a since of customer service. It's a shame. Good customer service often results in new customers.

Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
RVW called first thing this morning and is calling local dealers in their network, I don't regret buying out of state of especially from RVW, in all this I will continue to tell my story at campground to friends or with whom ever brings up RVs about my big saving....with RVW And now confident that my service will addressed! ... Although not yet scheduled but steps in the right direction !
I appreciate this experience, or warning not to do business with Camper Inn .... Short vision on their part warranty would have expired in late spring , and then I would have been a cash customer instead I will warn whom ever of my experience with them!
Hopefully by tomorrow I have a schedule date to bring in my RV
Big saving and great service where owners of out of state dealers care and we are not a one way sale !!'
I would drive all over again 1570 miles for the big saving and great service !!!

Update soon!

Pullingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #33
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
I'm not saying that all jobs are under houred, but the major ones are. We just replaced both axles on a Crusader under warranty, and they allowed 6.5 hours...this included welding on the spring perches, replacing all springs and shackles, and aligning. Never, ever get it done in 6.5.../QUOTE]

Isn't this just the same as automotive warranty work? Certainly some job are under-houred but others or over-houred and in the end, it all balances out.

Yes, and no....

Yes, they use "canned jobs", but in cars, you deal with GM, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler, etc.

In RV's, you deal with Puma warranty, Prime Time Warranty, Cardinal warranty, Sprinter warranty, etc...not Keystone, not FR, not Jayco. All have their own divisions with their own warranty departments. Unfortunately, we as consumers pay the price for cutting work hours. Dealers make their money, they get it done in the time allowed whether it is truly done right or not.

Like I stated earlier, my dealership will work on anything, any brand, warranty or not. We are plenty big enough to deal with warranty clerks at the manufacturers. In fact, if we have trouble getting things approved, and they have a lot of claims, we drop the line of RV's. Privileges of being in business for over 57 years....
Steve and Vicki
2 kids
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD Outdoorsman
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
Interesting thread. Hope things work out for the OP. Sounds like they will.

We bought our motorhome from RVDirect. Wanted to buy at local dealer. Local dealer said they would match RVDirect's price. But when push came to shove they said no way would they sell a unit for that (thousands of dollars difference). The other advantage of RVDirect is they just had more inventory in terms of options, colors, etc. Local dealer said they would service the unit from RVDirect though including warranty work. Wondered how that would work out since they didn't match their price at the end of the day.

All that said, knew we were taking a risk on service. Figured the cost savings was so substantial, we could pay for some stuff out of pocket & still be ahead. Here's what we did that might help other folks buying non-local:

1) Call ahead. Ask politely, don't expect.

2) We personally don't go to the local dealer stocking the brand I bought (the one I tried working with to buy the unit). I go to the local dealer selling Forest River. Doesn't seem quite as in your face. Another option as someone suggested is a RV repair facility that isn't in the sales business.

3) I toss other business their way. I buy parts there. I paid to get winterized there. I have an appt in the spring to pay for an oil change & generator service there. Some of the dealer folks on this thread might scoff at this but it seems to me that I am at least in their system as a customer.

By the way, I am a big Forest River fan, but they do talk out of both sides of their mouth a little on this topic. On the one hand, they say buying local. But, at the same time, they ship A LOT of units to places like RVDirect & RVW knowing full well that some (most?) of those sales ultimately cross state lines.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
White River Powersports Dealership
I own a powersports dealership, and as a dealer, value each nickle opportunity that is available. We service everything, regardless of if it was bought from us or not. Our shop time gives first priority to our sold unit customers, and we charge everyone the same rate, however, we give our sold units customers a discount on their labor rate. Of course this doesn't apply to warranty work, but in Arkansas we are paid retail rates on labor and parts from the manufactures as part of a state law they are required to adhere to.
Mike Smith
powertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
RVWholesalers Representative
Glad we were able to find someone local to you to get all your warranty concerns done. I am told you have an appointment and everything is set up. We will continue to follow up to make sure everything is smooth for you at the repair center. If you are not happy for any reason or concerned about anything please call me at once. You can reach me in the office at 877-877-4494. I am here to help and again thank you so much for your business! Everyone here at RVW is glad to assist you! Remember our Service Network is there for these exact reasons!
ddurnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #37
Thanks you for getting involved and providing your customers with continued support, I stopped in at the local dealer that will be performing the work and have a scheduled appointment!

One thing I would like to make clear from my experience this far
Out of state sales with RVW feel assured that are not a one way sale and the support dose not end once you get home !

Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #38
Pullingpete - just curious if this local dealer where you have an appointment is the same local dealer that told you no - or if it is a different local dealer altogether?
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
My local shop is in Lakeville Massachusetts
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
Engineer of Crazy Train
Originally Posted by Pullingpete View Post
My local shop is in Lakeville Massachusetts
Rousseaus? The head service guy Dave is nice.

TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote