Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 AM   #1

Local TV surround sound

Hello, We are very proud new owners of a 2013 Columbus 320RS we have spent 3 weekends in it and we have the surround sound with the Hiesne(spelling?)TV and I am not able to get sourround sound when watching local TV channels but can get surround sound if we watch a DVD. Any input on this? is it possible to get surround sound when watching local channels? I played around with the input jacks (red & white) hooking it up to the aux 2 on the DVD but had no success.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130406_140430.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	28300
DKB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2013 Columbus 320RS. Not all tv stations broadcast in Dolby surround sound.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Factory Rep

When we send them out they are set to work on Aux 2 TV setting
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to The forum !
Congrats on the new Columbus !

Have fun, stick around and meet new people here !
We might even try and talk you into going to the Goshen rally in August !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
When we send them out they are set to work on Aux 2 TV setting
Any work-around to get sound from the rest of the speakers even when not in the Aux 2 TV setting? Reason: I sometimes have difficulty hearing the TV even when the volume is set at "100". I've been considering hooking up a sound bar, but would rather use my existing speakers. Thanks!
bjlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

I'm not familiar with your RV (or television), but you can't get true surround sound with red & white connections. You have to use either an HDMI cable or a "digital" cable to connect your TV to the amplifier. "Digital" comes in two flavors: Wire or Optical. If there's no HDMI option, then hopefully both amp & TV have the same kind of digital. If not, you can buy an adapter fairly cheaply.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Pop

The real issue is that the TV, which has HDMI and Optical Digital output, is not compatible with the DVD player that has Stereo and Standard Digital input. So, they use the Stereo Headset plug from the TV and a Y adapter to plug into the Stereo Input to the DYD/Surround System. So, when setting the DVD Player on Aux 2, the TV plays through the Surround System, but you have to use both the volume control on the TV and the DVD player. So if the volume is low with the DVD on 100, you can turn up the TV volume, and it gets louder.
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #8

No problem. Buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002G...6297428&sr=8-9
and then you can connect the optical digital output (toslink) from the TV to the coaxial digital input on the DVD player. You'll need two cables (optical and digital-coaxial) as well. (I had to go the other direction in my RV and it works well).
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

Pop, THANK YOU for describing the issue with clarity!

Barry, THANK YOU: for your recommended solution!

I'm going get an Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Converter and a Digital Coaxial (SPDIF) cable. I currently have an extra Optical Audio Toslink Cable. I think this route is far better than either putting up with low sound volume or adding an expensive sound bar.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #10

Thanks guys for the education I will try out a couple of your ideas and get back to you. Im thinking maybe Ill try to use the head phone jack first
Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #11

Thank you ,Thank you all very much. POP you were dead on. I just happen to find a head phone jack and tied it in to the aux 2 input and it worked!!

You know when I first came to this site I spent maybe a hour on here reading peoples post and comments and so far I have fixed the shower head pressure issue, have the speakers working off the tv(which the dealer rep told me it wouldnt work)found out that I need to open the outside stove vent(which I wasnt aware of)I can take the steps off to get to the central vac(thought I would have to take the basement wall apart), the switch outside on the water heater needs to be turned on for you to want hot water when using electric(which the person at the dealership wasnt sure about when I asked), the glass door hiding the entertainment center is upside down(which I might just leave it as is for now cause I dont like having the holes in the wood work) I know now why the thermostat on the fire place seems not to work properly(havent fixed that yet)
All-n-all with these few little things we still love this unit. Alot. I still have a couple things to shake out yet and will post them in another thread.
Thank you all again very much!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB13 View Post
know now why the thermostat on the fire place seems not to work properly(havent fixed that yet)
Really? Could you give me a link for that one? I missed it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Really? Could you give me a link for that one? I missed it.
Here ya go bob
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-37687.html
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #14

Optical to Coaxial What

Toslink cable Were

SPDIF Whos ?

Is this a RV or a Space Shuttle?
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #15

Space Shuttle uses way older technology.

I don't know if you're serious. If you are, just buy the item I linked on Amazon. Then go to Best Buy or some such and buy cables to plug into the ports on that (when it arrives). The other ends of those cables will connect to your TV and DVD-player/amp. It's really easy.

Oh, and unless you just want to waste some money, don't buy "Monster" brand cables. The only thing they excel at is giving the seller a higher profit margin.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #16

just joking but i still remember camping with just a sleeping bag for a month.

Young, Dumb and full of -7'.
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB13 View Post
Thank you ,Thank you all very much. POP you were dead on. I just happen to find a head phone jack and tied it in to the aux 2 input and it worked!!
So you didn't buy the converter, optical audio cable, and digital coaxial cable? Sounds like you found another way to work around the issue. Can you explain and maybe share a pic?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #18

Here's a post from April 2012 that addresses your issue. It should help:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...und-22485.html
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #19

We had similar issue, but a headphone jack wouldnt work, it was a special audio cable with two rca plugs on one in and then plugged into aux 2 port on the stereo, the TV is more advanced and needs the special splitter. got it at Radio shack, also had to get the 90 rca connectors so it didnt interfere with the wall mount
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlowe View Post
So you didn't buy the converter, optical audio cable, and digital coaxial cable? Sounds like you found another way to work around the issue. Can you explain and maybe share a pic?
What he did doesn't get you surround sound.