Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Member
 
greti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Looking at a Palomino Puma any feedback?

I'm looking at moving from a Rockwood Mini Lite to a Palomino Puma fifth wheel model 295bhs. It has the look layout and price I like. Does anyone have any feedback on a Puma fifth wheel? Are there features that you have found you can't live without? What about quality ( especially at the lower price point and understanding there are minor warranty issues that come up). Thanks
__________________

__________________
Tennessee
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
2006 Ford Expedition
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
I'm looking at moving from a Rockwood Mini Lite to a Palomino Puma fifth wheel model 295bhs. It has the look layout and price I like. Does anyone have any feedback on a Puma fifth wheel? Are there features that you have found you can't live without? What about quality ( especially at the lower price point and understanding there are minor warranty issues that come up). Thanks
We had a 2013 puma 295kbh- now called the 295bhs.
Very well built. Had almost zero problems. Couple cabinets hard to open and little nuisance type things not anything that would ruin a weekend.
The main problem is not enough storage. Underbody storage boxes help alot and a bigger basement would be awsome.
2 a/c units would be ideal if you ever encounter any 90°+ days or are in direct sunlight.
You cant beat a puma for quality and amenities for the price point in my opinion. I've had pretty good luck with both my Palominos.
And I believe we payed $25k out the door for our puma 295kbh with a b&w companion hitch back in 2012. It only had 1 a/c but quite a few other options as we ordered ours.
Good luck shopping!!


Ps. Get a black tank flush installed or worked into the deal. Its a pain dragging a hose all the way thru the camper to that mid-bath to run a tank wash wand.
__________________

__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,528
We had a 2006 Puma and now a 2013 Puma only got the 2013 because we wanted a TH. Both 5th wheels are great trailers with few to no problems. The only issues we have had were cosmetic......... Personally I feel that Pumas are the best kept secrets of value for the $ in the RV industry.

The only draw back I see to them is that they are on the heavier side. Our RV tech at the dealer told us he sees less of them in for repair than any other make.

We would definitely by another if or when the time comes.

__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
We had a 2013 puma 295kbh- now called the 295bhs.
Very well built. Had almost zero problems. Couple cabinets hard to open and little nuisance type things not anything that would ruin a weekend.
The main problem is not enough storage. Underbody storage boxes help alot and a bigger basement would be awsome.
2 a/c units would be ideal if you ever encounter any 90°+ days or are in direct sunlight.
You cant beat a puma for quality and amenities for the price point in my opinion. I've had pretty good luck with both my Palominos.
And I believe we payed $25k out the door for our puma 295kbh with a b&w companion hitch back in 2012. It only had 1 a/c but quite a few other options as we ordered ours.
Good luck shopping!!

Ps. Get a black tank flush installed or worked into the deal. Its a pain dragging a hose all the way thru the camper to that mid-bath to run a tank wash wand.
X2 on the black tank flush we had ours added later....................

__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Member
 
greti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 93
Thanks to you both. I believe this one has the black tank flush so that's good. Another question is the bumper or ladder strong enough to carry a bike rack? I need space for bikes don't want them in camper this time. I have only seen pictures but not seen the unit in person and I can't yell what kind of storage there is. That's important!
__________________
Tennessee
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
2006 Ford Expedition
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
BooBoo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: West Atlanta Metro
Posts: 1,109
Most Palomino owners feel that the quality is better than average, not perfect but very few problems if any. The only problem I had was a AC that wouldn't cool, but that was a Dometic problem, not Palomino. Bike rack? Check the bumper, you will probably see a sticker that says adding any non-factory items to the bumper will void the warranty.
__________________
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23 Camped 2015-47
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
Thanks to you both. I believe this one has the black tank flush so that's good. Another question is the bumper or ladder strong enough to carry a bike rack? I need space for bikes don't want them in camper this time. I have only seen pictures but not seen the unit in person and I can't yell what kind of storage there is. That's important!
Specs online dont show if they still have the rear door on the 295bhss. They all use to have a rear door so you had a split rear bumper with the steps in the middle towards the lt side. That made the bumper a little stouter but also didn't leave much room with a spare tire mounted. I think we mounted a couple bikes on the rear ladder for a quick 30 mile or so trip. But i think i would just throw some army blankets down in the camper and put them in there.

For storage.....up front there is an area that is about 24-30" deep (door between landing gear under neck). Its ok, but with kids and needing chair, grill and toy space, as well as sewer and water hook up stuff it gets small quick. There is a little underbed storage under the master bed, and there use to be a outside door with access to storage under the wrap-around dinet....and that all helps, but i wanted more storage personally. Lipert makes sliding underbody storage but its pricey. I made my own on my sabre and it works great for fishing poles, water hookups etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442762353213.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	89334  
__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,356
We have a 2011 295kbh. We really like ours. We bought it two years used and well cared for. It is my first trailer and got kinda lucky I guess.
I have had a few problems with appliances/accessories, but none so far with FR.

Two well noted things... Not enough outside storage (plenty inside for me)and no 2nd a/c. I have not figured out if one can be added or not, but I haven't tried very hard to figure out. My gut says no. There is no skylight or fan in the front BR.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel
Our new 5er 10-26-16
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Coolharts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Siler City,NC
Posts: 268
We have a 2015 Puma 30FQSS bumper pull. This is our first RV and we are impressed with it. The only problem we have had are the drawers not opening easily. We had a FR ladder installed, have the prewiring for a 2nd A/C, 50 AMP power and power jacks. Our A/C does fine in hot weather.

I know you are looking at a fifth wheel but IMO the Puma is a great value.
__________________
2017 Surveyor 33RETS with Residential Refrigerator and Inverter
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L 2WD
Nights Camped 2016 27
Nights Camped 2017 29
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ferguson65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 273
I've got a 2015 Puma Unleashed 351THSS toyhauler. From the garage door front it's the same floorplan, just I have a ~12' garage rather than ~9' bunkhouse. Outside storage is VERY limited. There is storage in the genny compartment up front, and under the dinette. I also use the battery compartment to store my freshwater hoses and accessories. Order the trailer with 50A service! Most everything with Puma is Ala carte, and I did not go 50A. Big mistake as the garage proved to be very tough to cool. I got lucky (I guess) and due to a pretty bad QC failure, Puma paid to upgrade the trailer to 50A, rewire it, and supply a second 15k a/c. I had to eat the labor for cutting the roof and installing the unit, about $600. Really like the trailer overall, but it is not perfect and there are build quality/ oversight, and craftsmanship issues. Most have been resolved to my satisfaction at this point. But it's had a handful of weeks at the dealer.


Lippert's frames are horrible in my opinion, but almost every RV has a Lippert frame and its tough to avoid them. The paint on it (frame) is garbage, every hole in the framerails is flame cut by someone who has never used a torch before, then they just weld a plate on top with a clean hole in it. Or cobble some junk together like they did under my front steps.

I also can't figure how my $4k dump trailer can have a nice sealed wiring harness, but a $32K camper has unsheathed wiring draped over crossmembers...............

All in all I still like the trailer. It's not a 100K toyhauler, but the dealer tech says either way they are still built with glue and staples. So I'm ok with it for what I paid.
__________________

__________________
2013 F350 dually
2015 Palomino Puma 351THSS Premier Edition
2015 Nights camped 15
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
palomino, puma

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.