Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #1

Looking for advice

We are looking to trade up from our 30' 29-5 T Arctic Fox and have narrowed it down to a 2016 Sabre 33CKTS and 2015 OpenRange Roamer RF345RLS.

What are the positives and negatives with the Sabre product that we should consider IYOP?

My TV is a 2015 Ford F350 FX4 SRW, have a Reese 16k slider and airlift air bags.

I like the interior of the Sabre but some of the features on the Roamer such as auto leveling and better utilities connections but the interior of the Sabre is so much nicer. If the Fridge was accessible with the slides in on the Sabre would make the decision easier.

The Sabre is about $6k more.

Thanks for any advice as we are really stuck between the two 5ers.

Gary
glraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

You can order a sabre with auto leveling. I picked up our new sabre tbok about a month ago, and we really like it. There are several issues we are working thru, but I'm sure we'll get the kinks worked out. We camp about 65 nights a year and loved our last sabre too!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Always Learning

OpenRange Roamer RF345RLS -

- I would have to see it in person, but there doesn't appear to be a good view of the TV from any of the seats.
- I think I would also prefer to have a window where the entertainment center is.
- It has a bigger bed than the Sabre (though usually a king is an option); but it's an odd-sized king (72" vs. 76").
- Access to the bathroom from the bedroom is nice, but there's no counterspace on the sink. Which is more important to you?
- I really like the little coat closet inside of the door.
- Looks like the front closet might be a little bigger.
- I'm really curious about the optional patio.

Sabre 33CKTS -
- Having to put a slide out to access the fridge stinks. I have to do it now and it annoys me, though it's not terrible.
- I really like the island sink.
- It's a queen vs. king-size bed; though a king is likely an option (I actually prefer queen-sized beds, so this is a plus for me).
- The 2,800 lbs. of cargo carrying capacity will likely be quite a bit less- especially if you carry water.

I really love my Sabre.

Depending on your dry camping/boondocking needs- the 85 gallon of fresh water of the Open Range could be worthwhile.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #4

Thanks for taking the time to review the OpenRange and provide the feedback. While we do a fare amount of dry camping I usually take an extra 21 gallons of water so get us through 4-5 days out.

I agree the TV being across the dinning table is not the desired spot and not a big deal to us on the king vs queen either.

Probably the biggest issue we have with the Sabre is the fridge access but am still leaning towards it.

Can you explain a little more on the CCC of 2800? My hitch is a 16k Reese slider, are you saying that if you carry water it will lose the some of the 2800 or be over the gvwr of 13,649?

Thanks,
Gary
glraz is offline   Reply With Quote