Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #1

Looking for feedback on a Sabre 34REQS

Hi all, the wife and I are looking to possibly purchase a new Sabre 34REQS sometime in the near future. When we camp in our current Flagstaff 831FKBSS, we hardly ever see any Sabre 5th wheels in the northeast where the bulk of our camping takes place so our feedback from Sabre owners has been very limited. What I'm wondering is are these units durable, have there been a rash of similar problems, recalls, what options are a "must have", thoughts on the bicycle rack, etc. Thank you in advance to all who reply!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

2012 Sabre 34 RLQS

Bought a 2012 Sabre 34RLQS back on June 2nd camped 4 times since and camper seems to be made with pride. Fit and finish is very good seems to have the best of materials avaible used to make this unit. WE have the Lazy boy recliner upgrade they are very comfortable so I would recommend a Sabre they seems well built. We had a 2008 Heartland Bighorn we traded in on the Sabre and the Sabre is has nice for a lot less $. By the way I do have the bike rack option had to modify rack so our bikes would fit in slots. Not sure who engineers the rack but it wasn't mearured correctly. Hope this helps. CD
clay douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

We've had our 2013 34REQS-6 since late April and have been very happy with it. We factory ordered it because I wanted the thermopane windows. We also ordered every other option except the 2nd AC, electric rear stabilizers, and bike rack. We did however get the unit prewired for the 2nd AC. Even with all the heat and humidity we had this summer the 15K unit kept us cool and comfortable. We're on a seasonal site and saw little need for the rear electric stabs or bike rack. DW wanted the 40" tv. The stock 32" tv was fine for me but who was I to argue. The LG countertops are dark but do offer a look of class and the wood look floor is very nice. We went with the fabric recliners (extremely comfortable and have a high napability factor) instead of the Euro ones.

Only 2 very minor problems which I'll contact dealer about soon as our camping season in Wisconsin is coming to a close in late October. The string on the hall day/night shades has become frayed and very thin and the kitchen faucet handle gets very loose, even after several attempts to tighten the set screw. Like I said, very minor seeing as we are at our camper Tuesday afternoon till Sunday night since we got it. It's solid and very well built using quality materials and close attention paid to fit and finish. We've had alot of compliments on our unit and a fellow seasonal camper plans to order one in the spring.

I think you'll be very happy with a Sabre, IMHO you get alot of value for the money.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Although we don't have the model listed we do have a sabre 5th wheel 832bhok-6
And although we've had minor issues they've all been resolved at the dealer under warranty.
If and when we buy another it will be a sabre.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

Thanks Guys! This is the type of info I'm looking for! Any more comments on your Sabres and what options are well worth having? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated so keep the comments coming!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Elaine
Thanks Guys! This is the type of info I'm looking for! Any more comments on your Sabres and what options are well worth having? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated so keep the comments coming!
Defiantly get second a/c
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #7

We don't have the REQS but did purchase the 2013 34 RLQS in May of this year. Our reasoning was just based on the floorplan of the opening walkway to the bedroom, liked the open area near the head of the bed as opposed to the foot of the bed. We spent over 2 years looking at practically every model out there and kept coming back to the Sabre. Quality construction and parts. Craftmanship is some of the besst we've seen out in the market. There will always be some details that either are overlooked or done incorrectly but we found that Forest River stands behind their products completely. Had several things taken care of at the Rally in August and the rest the plant took care of and then delivered our unit back to our home in Wisconsin. Can't beat that kind of service! After talking to Johnny Jones and Gary from the Sabre division, we could tell that they really care that customers are happy with their rigs and work hard to make everything right.

Didn't have the second air conditioner put in but did have the Fantastic fan put in the bedroom. We have had a very hot/humid summer and have had no problems keeping cool (and I'm always hot in this weather!)

We have the lazy boy chairs and they are very comfortable. My husband tested every chair in every unit we went in and found these to be the most comfortable. LOL If you're special ordering I would leave the bike rack off only because, as previously said, the bikes don't fit great and the rack seems to rust easily, even after we got a new replacement.

Hope to see you at the Rally next year with a new Sabre unit!

FRF & FROG member
Rallies 12 & 13, Cherry Blossom 13, Branson 13... More to come!
CheezPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #8

We don't have the model you are looking at, we bought a 32RCTS and we love it. There were a few issues with the unit, most of which were quickly fixed by the dealer. We have one remaining issue to get resolved, a warped entry door, but hope to get that resolved on the next service visit. Forest River offers an extra one year warranty for $150 and I would recommend getting that. You're supposed to submit the papers for that warranty within 10 days of purchase although I've read on here many people waiting much longer. As far as the bike rack, we like ours although we did have to modify it so the bike tires would fit properly. ($75 for a local welder, some eye bolts and a can of paint from Lowe's) You might not need the 2nd a/c in the northeast but if you ever travel to a warmer climate you will be glad you have it. We live in Texas and it wasn't even a second thought for us. The 2nd a/c will require a camp site with 50 amp service but you can stay in 30 amp service if you only need the primary a/c. Lazy Boy chairs are definately a must!

Things we didn't get on our trailer that I wish we did:
1. EquaFlex suspension - Will probably add this next year
2. Power rear stabilizer jacks
3. On board surge protection system - Another future add on

Hope you will be as happy with your new Sabre as we are with ours!
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #9

We ordered our 2013 34REQS. Picked it up June 20th. We love the unit. The shower is nice and big, the skylight provides really good light. We have all options other then the tv & AC in bedroom. The second AC really depends on where you do your camping. If you live in the lower southern states where it gets over 100f you would need it. We live in Ontario and will not be going south, so we did not get it. It is easy to install should we decide at a later time, because the factory puts the thermostat and wiring in place anyways. Ours has the fireplace, I never thought we would use it, but on our last trip we used it a couple of times in the morning to warm up the trailer, it works well.
We also ordered it with no carpet in the living area. So there is only carpet on the slides and bedroom. It makes it easier to clean up. We opted for the wood grain floor it really looks good. The bike rack we have used to haul our BBQ and on bike. It works ok, but you have to make sure it is secure, things really bounce back there while on the road. Can't remember if the black water clean out sprayer was an option or std, but it is a must, helps clean out. If you don't put a washer dryer in, make sure you cap the preinstalled tap, to avoid accidentally turning the water on. The other thing that I do not like is the pantry beside the fridge gets warm from the fridge, which is ok as long as you don't put food products in there, which is what we did our first trip. Melted chocolate , bread bad very quickly. But overall I love the trailer.