Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #21

Colling

I am not sure how relevant it is to compare the statistics for residential cooling to these 110 “portable models”. A residential unit is rated, square feet to tonnage. There can be huge discrepancies in residential cooling, especially when exceeding the recommended tonnage per square foot. At nearly 100 degrees, 79% humidity, our rear AC only kept our 320 at 86% or lower, given due diligence in keeping the door closed properly. Our co-camper 320, with both units functioning kept their temperature at their desired temperature, even with the washer and dryer running. In fact, the owner informed me that they occasionally shut off. My point is that with both units functioning properly, the output of two units should more than handle the hottest of climates.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Joel & Bec:

Glad to hear how well you enjoy your 320RS. Ours is on order & it's hard to have to wait.

I can't imagine that there would be such a descrepancy in the ability to keep cool 2 different units of the exact same model Columbus (320RS) as described by you folks & by Robt & Estha Shiflet (see above post).
1) Do you have dual pane windows?
2) Is your outside color grey or tan?

We are about to get our Ford F-250 KR with 6.7L PS diesel.
1) Is yours a 2 WD or 4x4?
2) How was the power of the diesel pulling the Columbus thru the Blue Ridge Mtns & what MPG were you getting?
3) We also plan to install the Hensley BD3 hitch system. Does it really do a good job re: reducing chucking & bouncing? Would you buy it again?

Thanks for all your info & hope to see you "on the road" sometime-

Mark/Jeannie
Mark & Jeannie first off congratulations! I think you will love your Columbus 320rs and the wait will go by quicker than you think.

I don't know that there is a cooling difference. I will say I don't believe that one air conditioner can keep this rig cool in temps in upper 90's + when parked in full sun, shade makes a big difference. With both ac's there is no proplem keeping cool in full sun and is very quick to cool down after being on the road all day. The differences would be easily explained based on these factors; in full sun, the orientation to the sun and humidity levels.

To answer your questions:
1. We do not have dual pane windows.
2. Color is Cream aka Tan.

Truck questions:
1. 4 wheel drive
2. You will absolutely love the towing ability of this truck. Will pass 18 wheelers on hills all day. We were also in the Smokies and Cumberland plateau and Avg. mileage for trip towing was 11.6 miles/gal. We did have to fill our DEF tank at about 4000 m. miles got warning of half full at 2800 m. or so and then warning of 500 miles left. When this occurs you must fill the tank which has a 5 gal. capacity at least past half way to reset.
3. Love the Bd3 hitch! I can't really compare to other hitch's with/out air bags and shocks as I have not towed with any other hitch. But I will say that it was smooth sailing on 95% of our trip. When you drive accross roads like the eastern half of I 10/I 12 through Louisiana. I'm not sure any hitch could totally eliminate chucking and bouncing, but it was very tolerable. I also believe that it eliminates alot of stresses that would normaly be transferred to the 5th wheel and to the truck. Yes! I would buy again.
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Robt & Estha

There's quite a difference in the ability of your 320RS to keep cool as compared to the account given by Joel & Bec (redfinaddict).

1) Do you have dual pane windows?
2) Is your exterior color grey or tan?

I appreciate your answers to my previous questions as well as to the above. It's so nice to be able to learn from someone "who's been there"!

Mark/Jeannie
Sorry I didn't get this answered sooner. I recall reading it, but just realized I hadn't replied. Must have gotten interrupted.

I really don't know what the difference is.

We have the standard issue frameless windows that I don't believe are dual pane. Our Columbus is the creme/tan color.

One thing - I kept the awning out most of the time and we had our trailer positioned so the sun was primarily on the "back" side where there is only the one small (kitchen) window. We had learned from our Sandpiper with only one AC unit and LOTS of windows all around that the windows were the biggest culprit in trying to keep it cool.

One summer in Fredericksburg, Texas it was 100+ all week and the park had us positioned north-to-south so we were getting the morning, midday and evening sun directly on us.

That poor single AC couldn't come anywhere near keeping up and honestly it never cut off (even at night) and we had temperatures in the upper 80's to perhaps even 90 during the peak of the day.

But the additional insulation that the Columbus has over that '05 Sandpiper, fewer "back side" windows and the second AC unit have made a world of difference.

As I stated in another thread - we got the grommet kit "fix" last week and it made a dramatic difference in the noise and vibration of the bedroom AC, but our dealer still isn't fully satisfied and has a new unit on order.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed