Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Love the 320RS...BUT.....

My wife and I are evolving I guess. We started 2 years ago with a small Keystone Passport 199ML. Just large enough for us. Great...no more B&B's. Then our kids (all grown) would occassionally join us. Uh oh..the 19 foot trailer is way too small.

Last year we graduated to a Cougar 29REV. Love the layout...esp the front bedroom in the V. Then our kids and their wives/girlfriends would join some trips. Then it rains like crazy and everyone wants inside. This year, people are reserving the sofa bed. Its all good....just really cluttered when everyone is inside.

Searched and searched for a 5th wheel large enough to sleep 6 w/out bunks. Well, the 320 is it. Open the sofa bed, move the island out of the way, and put an air mattress on the floor. Perfect......Don't really care for front living units...too cut up. The 320 has the nice kitchen, lots of counter space and rear living.

Woke up at 430 am thinking about it...checked out this forum and now Im a bit afraid that the unit/design is perhaps too new. The dealer we found is over an hr away. I read stories of people having their units in for reapir for weeks on end. I like the layout but we have been fortunate to date with our 2 TT's.

I can deal with some punch list items but seems like the issues are well beyond that. Any recent 320 buyers here to report on any recent experiences?
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

We have hadour 320 for a year now and think it is great.Had two other TTs before this and they do not compare.The new ones are even better .We are on a seasonal site and have been very happy. The reclinning theater seats work great to sleep in also .Don,t let what you here scare you away.
dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

Hi chris199
we got our 320RS in Oct.2012 and love it, have only had minor problems that I fixed or if we were out and going by dealer stopped by and had them take care of it. I would not think twice about buying another one just a great 5th wheel.

-----------------
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Team

not sure what you're reading but the Columbus 5th wheels are the best reviewed 5th wheels on this forum.
way more happy owners than the scant few who aren't happy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Pop

We've had our 320, just a couple of months. Made 2 trips, and other than a few small things, like missed caulk in the Bathroom, and tightening up a few screws, we have found no problems, and absolutely love it. Traded in an old Keystone Montana, and there is a world of difference. We got the 32o for the same reason as you, we have grown kids, with grandkids, and the movable island, give a great place for the air mattress. It works great. And.....My wife thinks that it is Beautiful....

I hope that this helps comfort you. I think that it is a great unit.
Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. There's alot of people who are extremely happy with their 320RS. Don't let the few negatives ruin it for you. I agree with you about the front living units. I like the living and kitchen/dining areas on the same level. Good luck with your decision.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #7

First, welcome to the forum.
Second, people often find it easier to find fault with things rather than find positive things, especially online.
Third, I have an early production 320RS, built in February 2012. The units coming off the line now are MUCH different than the early ones. I visited the plant in October 2012. I met the supervisors, managers, and workers on the production line. They have implemented numerous production changes and manufacturing processes that have improved the overall quality of the Columbus line. They listened to their customers and this has helped improved the line.
The Columbus line is one of the hottest lines in the RV industry right now. I don't think you can find another 5th wheel for the money that offers the features, construction, and quality as the Columbus.
Good luck with your decision.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #8

We just picked ours up a few weeks ago, we have been on two trips so far and we absolutely love it! We are going out again this weekend. I can't wait! We had minor cosmetic things for the dealer to fix and they did so a week ago between our scheduled trips. You'll love it!!!
Tkcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

There are more than 2200 Columbi in service. Only very few have had major problems and of those it has been delivery damage or dealers not properly prepping the units. Ours has been great, best value for comfort, and just a well thought out beautiful rig.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Trailer Trash

What will be WAY MORE IMPORTANT, is to find a quality Columbus dealer. NOT one that is closest to your home. Go to dealer review section of this forum and if your dealer in not in the review section and getting good reviews, think twice about buying from them.

Your RV will more than likely travel many hundreds or thousands of miles away from the dealer you buy from. Chances are when it has a problem, you wont be by the selling dealer anyway. So, you would be towing the RV back to selling dealer or another Palomino or Forest River dealer to get it warranty repaired.

The factory relies on the dealer to go through a long list of prep, readiness, repair factory screw-ups, etc. Just because your dealer is close (1 hour away is plenty close) doesn't mean they are worth a darn. Again, find an excellent Columbus dealer has been paramount to the user experience level of happiness with these new rigs. For the most part, the few Columbus owners that had bad experiences, it was because their dealer sucked. After that, there were a couple of reports of flaws that required Columbus rig to go back to factory.

Figure 4 out of 200 were back to factory for repair is 2%. That is a low percentage. These luxury RVs have lots of tubes, hoses, wiring, etc. and it's crammed in there. They are hard to work on compared to the joe average stripped down RV.

Again, find a good quality dealer 1st. Then go buy your RV. I understand the buy local thinking for warranty repair. But if the dealer's service department is not very good, what difference does it make?!!
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote