Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #1

Lowering front end on Columbus

Just parked our 2014 Columbus in the driveway. Looks great and we are pretty happy with evrything. The Dealer is a great job at making sure everything worked as far as we can tell so far.
On problem I have is our driveway has a mild a slope to it. However the front end only lowers down to 6-7 inches from the ground. I have JT stablizer and Six way leveling (which is not being use right now because I took out a center landing pad on taking it home the first day.)

So my question is shouldn't the front end be able to lower all the way down to the ground? The trailer is only a couple of inches out but you can tell you are walking uphill. I assume that in this case if my autoleveler was working that the rear would be liftes to compensate. Or would it?

Thnaks for any input. I also haven't forgot those who love to see pictures of new units. Look on Youtube for DW video. She is so excited.

txcolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Trailer Trash

Lowering front end all the way to the ground? Why would you want to do that? A better description of what you are trying to accomplish will help others help you.

Basically, the landing gear is like a landing gear on a semi trailer. It goes up/down about a foot or so. It lets you raise and lower the king pin for hooking up to truck's fifth wheel plate. When unhitched, the landing gear lets you adjust legs for front to back leveling of RV. Other than that, no intention of letting you retract landing gear legs to let front of go all the way the ground. All those holes in the legs let you move the pad feet up and down to increase range of feet location before they hit the ground.

Again, a better description of what you are trying to do will help.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #3

You might want to try putting a few of the yellow or orange Lego blocks under the front landing gear to make you level
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
You might want to try putting a few of the yellow or orange Lego blocks under the front landing gear to make you level
Yea I though about doing that next time when I park on a slope. However in retrospect, since the legs do not go all the way down the only way to actually level it is putting the yellow/orange lego blocks under the wheels. This will raise the back end and allow the front end to come down level. I was just hopeing the front end could come down lower without having to use blocks.

Thanks.
txcolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Sounds like your driveway slopes towards the back. If that is the case, then you will need to drive up on some 2 x 12'a or something similar to raise the back. If its that bad though, I'd question parking there long term? Maybe a picture from the side would help.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Sounds like your driveway slopes towards the back. If that is the case, then you will need to drive up on some 2 x 12'a or something similar to raise the back. If its that bad though, I'd question parking there long term? Maybe a picture from the side would help.
Why the trailers on your truck extend the front landing gear all the way out "the electric part not the pin extension"that way when you put the pads on the ground and unhook from truck you have all the leg travel to go down remember to have enough extension left to raise trailer off of truck plate. This has happened to me camping.
ron5772 is offline   Reply With Quote