Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #1

Maiden voyage in Puma 253FBS

For months I have been reading PDI forums on this site to get ready for our new 5'er. This may be long, but it was a long weekend. On Friday, wife and I drove to Loveland, CO to Trailer World LLC to pick up new 5'er and to have a nice relaxing weekend in Loveland trying out the trailer. We arrived at 1:00pm and we're ready as could be, but the dealer had no clue what to do (Only good thing was their price, now I know why, but glad I ordered from manufacturer, just used dealer for delivery). Their one mechanic who normally did PDI's was off and the salesman said he had 30 some odd years with the dealer and could walk us through the PDI. His 30 years might have been in sales, but all he could show us was how to turn on lights, open cabinets and put the slide-out out. He barely could even figure out how to put the awning out. Thank goodness we had a little experience and had printed out PDI lists. We pretty much did the PDI ourselves, at one point my wife sent the salesman away, because he was just sitting on our new couch staring at us. We we're so frustrated with him we finally got the owner out and he helped a little more, but still had to call someone when we asked a techinical question. They even refused to de-winterize the unit, so we refused to sign the paperwork and said we'll go to a local campground and test everything that night and be back in the morning, they accepted and we drove away at 6:00pm.

Hooked up at CG and finally enjoyed our first night and love the trailer, exactly what we wanted. Next morning while sun was coming up, we de-winterized unit and tested every faucet and faucet in bathroom leaked, quick fix, just a loose fitting, but now I was about ready to boil over, I was so frustrated with the dealer. Everything else worked and we went back and signed their papers, after venting to them, they never apologized though, just kept making excuses. Wife finally just pulled me out of the dealer and we went on with our weekend, no other issues.

Went to Estes Park and got stuck in a traffic jam as elk crossed the highway right in front of us, it definitely made our trip better at that point. Sunday, we hooked up and drove 250 miles home and pulled into the driveway perfectly. Now I'm cleaning and packing the 5'er and getting ready for a local trip soon. After, I got home I talked to our local dealer and they said they would do warranty work if anything came up. I hope I never have to deal with that Loveland dealer again, it was the worst experience with a dealer I have ever had. Sorry it's so long, I just had to get it off my chest once and for all. Happy Camping!

2006 GMC 2500HD 4x4 xtra cab, 6.0,4.10, SB, P3 Brake Controller, Colibert RailRider 5th Wheel hitch for B&W
2009 Puma 253FBS
2001 H-D Road King Classic
Flatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Glad you like your new unit. I've had bad dealer experiences before too. Hang in there!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #3

Glad that you had a nice time trying out your unit. We love our's and its our 5th Palomino in 7 years so that might say something about them. We just keep getting bigger units..until now that is..I think this might be the limit on size..other than maybe a Sabre with the bedroom slide..SOME DAY!!
Your right about the dealer. If you find that the service is lacking then go to a different dealer for service. We have had good luck with the dealership we purchased ours from and the service dept is also pretty good to deal with so I guess we are lucky that way.
Enjoy your unit and Happy Camping and Safe Travels in your unit.
Tundra & Fawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #4

I am in the same boat with my dealer, one service guy and a grumpy owner/salesman . Only problem is that he is my local guy ofr Puma, the next closest is 200 miles away.

Does anyone know if I can take my Puma to another Forest River dealer for warranty work? There are numberous minor deficiencies that were missed/avoided at the PDI. Live and Learn.
JJMorrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
Does anyone know if I can take my Puma to another Forest River dealer for warranty work?
You'll have to call the dealer and ask. RV's aren't anything like cars. Each dealer just buys the units from the manufacturer. Our closest dealer won't even discuss doing warranty work on a unit not bought from them and FR can't/won't do anything to force them. Good luck.

Tags
palomino