Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Michelin XPS RIBS?

Are any of you running these tires on your sabre? I want to get rid of the Akuret tires on mine. I was wondering if I can still use my X-chocks with the Michelin's. If I can't I am going with the Maxxis trailer tires. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

I have clearance issues with the LT tires. I will have to run the maxxis m8008's.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

There is lots of debate to using LT tires vs. ST tires for trailer applications. Those for LTs say that they're a better tires. Those for STs say that LTs can't handle the sidewall stress of backing a camper into spots. For what it's worth- there are some heavier trailers in the higher dollar range that come with LTs stock.

I have no idea about your actual question of being able to use X-chocks with the Michelins. What is your concern? Spacing? Or causing damage?

I only have a few thousand miles on my Maxxis tires, but I don't have anything bad to say about them.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Funny, a full 24 hours later and we both post within minutes.

I couldn't find my exact tire size in a LT tire:
XPS Rib | Michelin Tires

I was looking for 235/80/16E. It looks like most LT tires come with an 85 for that middle number. Not sure how much that makes a difference, though.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #5

I looked for a couple of hours yesterday. The 235 85 16 is a inch taller and the 245 75 16 is about a inch wider. Both of them would be extremely close to the slide out mechanism (not sure I spelled that right). So I decided for now just to go with the maxxis. It seems to have a good following.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

Maxxis are arguably the best ST on the market. Replaced my final two Akuret bombs with them.
The whole argument about sidewalls on LT’s is nonsense, as long as you have the proper rated and capacity LT. Not all LT’s are created equal, however to get to a higher rating a capacity, you will likely need to go to a 17.5, just like on the higher end fifth wheels. Some special interest groups, like the factory, want you to drink the sidewall cool aid, as it is cheaper to put on 16 inch Chinese made tires and wheels that are often very close to their rating and capacity. If you need further validation, look at what commercial trailers are running.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Not all LTís are created equal, however to get to a higher rating a capacity, you will likely need to go to a 17.5, just like on the higher end fifth wheels.
That's a significant issue for me. My 16s in Maxxis ST have a load capacity of 3,420 lbs. but the equivalent XPS Rib is 3,042 lbs.

That's significant for me in 2 ways:

1) My trailer axles are carrying 12,280 lbs. Ballpark, that is 3,070 pounds per tire if I assume that both sides of the axle are carrying the same weights. I know both of my axles are carrying essentially the same load (+/- 40 pounds) from a prior weighing.

2) My trailer's axles are very close to each other. Between my tires is only 1" to 1 1/2". I'd be afraid of going up a tire size and having rubbing issues.

3) It's a significant cost to change wheels AND tires. Tires were bad enough. The STs seem to be performing well.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #8

To be honest with you if maxxis keeps making a good quality st tire I see no reason to spend anymore money on the Lt tires. The akurets may be ok but I'm not willing to take the chance. I am having the maxxis put on at a local dealer next week. Once I seen the Lt tires were a inch taller there is no way I could use my x chocks. Plus I really think I would have rubbing issues.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignugget View Post
To be honest with you if maxxis keeps making a good quality st tire I see no reason to spend anymore money on the Lt tires. The akurets may be ok but I'm not willing to take the chance. I am having the maxxis put on at a local dealer next week. Once I seen the Lt tires were a inch taller there is no way I could use my x chocks. Plus I really think I would have rubbing issues.
IMO, as long as you are within the Maxxis capacity, you are fine, very good tire, never heard a bad thing about them. I had a Calisle authorized dealer guide me to the Maxxis, that were actually less expensive. The most important thing is to get the Akuret's off your rig. We had two blow outs, over three trips, at about 2,000 pounds below capacity. The second did over $2500 in damage and kept us from camping from July through October.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #10

I here ya. I am well below capacity. Just want the akurets gone. We used them last summer and they have about 3500 miles on them. I figured I have pushed them far enough.