Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

Mor/ryde Pin Box Question

I after reading many posts on this forum, I'm thinking about installing a Mor/Ryde pin box on our 32 RCTS to help with the jerking.

We are taking the unit back to the dealer next week for some warranty repairs and thought about having it put on at that time.

But...
Would this be a good "DYI" project or should I just pay the dealer an extra $250 to do it for us??

Comments??

SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #2

Its just a few bolts. Do it yourself and use the $250 for something else. It isn't a difficult job at all. You may need an extra set of hands though since some of the pin boxes are kind of heavy and awkward.

1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

Have you priced out a Trail Air Rota Flex? It's the same thing as the Moor/Ryde, but I think it is priced less. We have one on our Columbus 320RS and it made a world of difference.
Have the dealer install it, unless you have a lift to handle the thing as it is H-E-A-V-Y!!!
And you really have to be able to torque the bolts tight.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

We have one and it does make a quite a difference. Let the dealer install, then if theres an issue its their problem.
Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

I did my 5thAB pin box by myself. The hardest was planning ahead to line up the new pin box as it was rather heavy and just hard to move around. Make sure you find out what the bolts should torqued at.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #6

Thanks all for the responses. I decided to have the dealer install the Mor/Ryde rubber Pin box next week while my unit is in for warranty work.

He worked with me a little on the price and will break it up into a couple of more managable payments.

In hind site, I would have tried to have it installed at the factory even though it is not a listed option.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

Mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox Follow-up

We've taken the 5th Wheel out a couple of times now since have the Mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox installed and although the ride is somewhat improved on certain roads, we still get more chucking than we care for.

I've read that you can actually see the kingpin move back & forth on rough roads but we don't see this on ours. This lead me to wonder if there might be a needed adjustment, an installation problem or maybe the wrong model number. I know that when these are ordered you have to specify the OEM pinbox and the Trailer GVW.

I talked to the dealer and also to the tech folks at Mor/Ryde and here is what I've learned so far:
1.) The correct pinbox was is ordered by the dealer based on my Sabre 32 RCTS specs:
Model #RPB72-1621HD-04
- Lippert 1621 PinBox
- Empty weight ~= 10,000
- GVW= 13,800 lbs
The above pinbox is designed for trailers with a GVW between 11,501lbs-14,000lbs. (Uses a #4 Rubber Sheer spring)

2.) The current loaded weight of my trailer is ~11,400lbs indicating to the Mor/ryde Tech person that the Model #RPB72-1621HD-03 ( GVW 11,500 or less) with a #3 rubber sheer spring would have been a better choice and should give better results.

The MorRyde guy seems confident that using the #3 spring that is better matched to my trailer weight would help a lot and he is very willing to sell me one. My dealer sez that he ordered the correct pinbox based on MorRyde ordering guide. He was confused to learn, that the Mor/Rdy tech person, is now suggesting something different, but he is also willing to order a new spring for me.

At my requets...the dealer is now having a "lively" telephone debate with the Mor/ryde Tech guy to see what should be done and who should pay the additional ~$200 for a new spring.

I'm not sure what the outcome will be except we hate the chucking.

Any comments or simular experiences to share??
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Any comments or simular experiences to share??
I really like the Trail Air Roto Flex pin box that came on my Columbus. It was matched at the factory and as already mentioned, makes a world of difference.
When you get the correct rubber cushion installed, you will notice a big difference in the ride with your MorRyde.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #9

I heard back from Mor/Ryde and the decided to send me a replacement Shear spring of the right size. It was very easy to install and we are no looking forward to the next trip out to see if it improves the situation.

In then the Dealer and Mor//Ryde both made good! Yeah!