Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Columbus 302 rs
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right now in Winchester Va.
Posts: 112
More about tire pressures for 320rs

Installed TPMS system on our new 320rs today and I know there has been a lot of discussion elsewhere about tire pressures.
These radials are max rated for 80lbs but were delivered with 70psi. Is this the correct pressure. On a positive note they are nitrogen filled.
What do 320rs owners use for their fifth wheels?

Thanks
__________________

TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
amxpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 695
80 psi COLD as stated on the tire sticker located on the left side near the propane access door, next to the VIN sticker.
__________________

__________________
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Columbus 302 rs
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right now in Winchester Va.
Posts: 112
Thanks that's what I thought. I don't know why they under filled by 10 lbs.
Of course I don't know why they failed to hook up the drain pipe for the washing machine so that it dumps water into the flooring instead of the gray tank or hooked up the audio for the TV incorrectly so there would be no sound.
Need to give them a call about these and several other problems. The washer plumbing will be a major access issue.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
Curious where you go to top off a nitrogen filled tire?
Dru R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Av8orLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 215
Dru R, Discount Tire in my area can fill with nitrogen. But you can just use regular air.
__________________
2015 GMC Denali HD Z71 4X4 - D/A
2004.5 Chevy D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 34rlsa
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Member
 
1jeb289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou
Dru R, Discount Tire in my area can fill with nitrogen. But you can just use regular air.
You can Google for stations in your area that handle the nitrogen. There is one tire store close to me that carries the nitrogen but it would be a major problem to get the Columbus in there in order to access the nitrogen filling station. I have a pancake air compressor so I use regular air to top off the tires and not have to worry about nitrogen.
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Trailer Trash
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 608
My take is if your truck tires don't have nitrogen, don't waste your time filling the RV tires with it. When you stop for air, you have to check ALL of the tires. Not too many places that sell tires have a parking lot big enough to allow for a large RV. I have a small 120volt air compressor also. Comes in handy for blowing out water lines in winter too. I'm sure nitrogen helps out, but is it enough of a benefit in real world experiance for you? For commercial fleets yes. For one individual, I doubt it.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru R View Post
Curious where you go to top off a nitrogen filled tire?
Anywhere! Regular air is 70% nitrogen so why worry about the remaining 30% of other gasses?
Each air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
Installed TPMS system on our new 320rs today and I know there has been a lot of discussion elsewhere about tire pressures.
These radials are max rated for 80lbs but were delivered with 70psi. Is this the correct pressure. On a positive note they are nitrogen filled.
What do 320rs owners use for their fifth wheels?

Thanks
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I believe you are better off keeping the 70 psi in your tires. If your doing any long distance towing, the tires will heat up quite a bit, and the pressures will expand. I never set my tires at the max air pressures. I always leave room for the heat build up.
__________________
Dave and Kim
Charlie and Ripken (4 Leggers)
2012 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 6.6L Diesel
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo View Post
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I believe you are better off keeping the 70 psi in your tires. If your doing any long distance towing, the tires will heat up quite a bit, and the pressures will expand. I never set my tires at the max air pressures. I always leave room for the heat build up.
I think the max tire pressure rating takes into consideration of heat/air pressure build up.


Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,258
You could check the load range charts for your tires to see if you are ok running at 70psi, but it won't hurt running them at max, considering your camper is probably pretty darn heavy.
I switched to a heavier-rated tire, so run mine a bit under the max.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo View Post
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I believe you are better off keeping the 70 psi in your tires. If your doing any long distance towing, the tires will heat up quite a bit, and the pressures will expand. I never set my tires at the max air pressures. I always leave room for the heat build up.
This is not correct. Tires should always be set at the proper pressure cold. The max pressure molded into the tire is the "max cold inflation pressure" and takes "heat buildup" into consideration.

Proper inflation pressure is based on tire load according to the manufacturer's tables up to the max cold inflation pressure. See attached sample for Maxxis.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf maxxis 8008load.pdf (142.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf proper_tire_inflation.pdf (116.4 KB, 24 views)
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 107
Wink

Man, I knew I should have stayed out of this
one, but I couldnt help it. So let me start over. Didn't mean to infer that this would damage the tires. Tires can be run at maximum air pressure, but I never run mine at the max pressure because if you have the right setup, it is not necessary. Since I do not have my Columbus yet, I will make that determination when I see them. Remember, the tires on you camper were not made for your camper, they were made for a multitude of different ones. Palomino decided on them, so you need to check the load carrying capacity. If they were selected correctly, you will never need to run the max pressure. All you will do is jar the heck out of everything inside, and wear out the tires in the center prematurely because most of the time they are put on rims that are too narrow to handle that much air pressure. I changed my last two campers to a larger size tire and wheel just for that reason. I run my tires (on everything I own) anywhere from 5-8lbs under max. Never wore out a set of tires prematurely. This being said, please make your own decision, don't let my 30 years in the tire business steer you
__________________
Dave and Kim
Charlie and Ripken (4 Leggers)
2012 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 6.6L Diesel
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo View Post
Man, I knew I should have stayed out of this
one, but I couldnt help it. So let me start over. Didn't mean to infer that this would damage the tires. Tires can be run at maximum air pressure, but I never run mine at the max pressure because if you have the right setup, it is not necessary. Since I do not have my Columbus yet, I will make that determination when I see them. Remember, the tires on you camper were not made for your camper, they were made for a multitude of different ones. Palomino decided on them, so you need to check the load carrying capacity. If they were selected correctly, you will never need to run the max pressure. All you will do is jar the heck out of everything inside, and wear out the tires in the center prematurely because most of the time they are put on rims that are too narrow to handle that much air pressure. I changed my last two campers to a larger size tire and wheel just for that reason. I run my tires (on everything I own) anywhere from 5-8lbs under max. Never wore out a set of tires prematurely. This being said, please make your own decision, don't let my 30 years in the tire business steer you

IMO, unless you know the load on each tire everytime you hook up and leave, you're shooting in the dark about what pressure to use. It's not even a SWAG, it just a WAG. I just go to max cold pressure listed on the tire or 1 or 2lbs below and forget it. Never wore a set of tires out on a trailer, they usually get weather cracks long before any wear is detected.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo View Post
This being said, please make your own decision, don't let my 30 years in the tire business steer you
I have zero years in the tire business. I make no bones about it. Everything I learned about tires and trailering is from learning from folks like you who do know.

I have spent many hours talking to the tire safety folks like Walter C. Cannon, the Executive Director of the RV Safety & Education Foundation (321-453-7673
Fax 321-453-3853) and the good folks at Goodyear. I am always interested in learning more.

__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
hotrodj125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar,Minnesota
Posts: 207
We have one tire on our 320RS that wnet flat on our first trip and it was fixed and refilled with good old natural compressed air- and on our recent trip to the Black Hills, I had all tires at 80PSI COLD and had NO problem for the 1800 mile roundtrip and each stop i felt the tires and they ALL felt to be the same temp... So, I don't see any advantage of the NITROGEN AIR-- its a pain to find it and most places charge for it.
__________________
Rod & Linda Johnson
Cedar, Minnesota
2006 F-250 SD 4x4 6.0
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have zero years in the tire business. I make no bones about it. Everything I learned about tires and trailering is from learning from folks like you who do know.

I have spent many hours talking to the tire safety folks like Walter C. Cannon, the Executive Director of the RV Safety & Education Foundation (321-453-7673
Fax 321-453-3853) and the good folks at Goodyear. I am always interested in learning more.

I agree with you 100% Herk, my only point is how can you know what pressure to use based on the load if you don't know what the load is? I doubt if you change your load very much, but most folks are not that precise in loading a camper. In our case, if we are camping locally, we don't take a lot of spare stuff as opposed to when we take off for 1, 2 or 3 months. That's why I run the pressures I do.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
amxpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 695
The tire sticker on my Columbus 320RS says tire pressure should be set at 80 psi-cold. Besides my 40+ years in the business, Columbus says to run 80 psi. So, I run 80 psi.
__________________

__________________
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
320rs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


×