Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #1

Mouse in the house

I was putting dishes away this morning and much to my surprise there was some mouse scat in one of the drawers. Great surprise to say the least! I'm going to crawl under the rig with a can of spray foam and see if I can figure out where it got in. When I looked underneath before and it look as if they had done a pretty good job at the factory sealing it up. Must have missed a spot. Has anyone found any obvious spots that needed sealing up? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
MI Camperz

I hate mice! So far, we haven't had any, but I go ballistic with prevention when closing up in the fall....some say methods don't work, some say they do. We use bounce sheets all over, moth balls all over and under the camper. Foil to seal up vents, furnace exhaust. Some people use D-con, but I don't want dead mice crawling into walls and stinking up the place.
I will say it takes a day to get rid of moth ball odor, but worth it to me, if it works.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #3

I think I found the entry point. Where the slide tube goes through the frame there is about 1" of space around said tube. It has to move when the slide moves so I get the reason. I can shine my light in and see fiberglass insulation. Perfect mouse house. Then from there I'm sure it came up around the sink drain and into the cabinet. I'm going to foam the openings into the cabinet and foil tape the slide tube opening. Not a permanate fix as I'll have to re-tape the opening every time we run the slides. Maybe I can make a grommet of sorts when I have time. I hate mice.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneymaki View Post
...Must have missed a spot. Has anyone found any obvious spots that needed sealing up? Thanks!
It's the not so obvious spots that you have to look for. Mice can and will find the smallest hole to gain entry. Everyplace and anyplace there is a hole needs to be sealed. Wherever there is a water line, elec line, gas line poking thru is an invitation. If you have an enclosed underbelly seal up where it meets the frame. If you haven't done so already have somebody shine a flashlight in every cabinet and in the garages while you're underneath looking for any light coming thru. Best to do this at night, then mark the spots with colored chalk so you can find them in daylight and spray foam them. I even went so far as to put some copper wool (won't rust like steel wool) in our battery overflow tube.

Edit: I cut a hole in a 4' X 4" aluminum window screen that matches the size of the slide tube. Then I cut a slit in it so I can slip it over the slide tube and caulked it in place on the side of the frame.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

I spent a few hours sealing up the under belly today. Did the window screen trick on the slide tubes but used adhesive waterproofing foil tape to hold the screen in place. Thank you for the idea. Filled the penatrations through the floor behind the cabinets and under the sinks with spray foam. I sealed up more spots than I had originally thought there would be and I'm afraid there might be a few more holes in the frame to seal that are covered by the Aluminum "skirt" around the bottom of the camper. Time will tell I guess.