Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #1

My first trip should be interesting...

My unit came off the line Friday, and will be in the Shine Bay Monday/Tuesday. I should pick it up Saturday the 18th. Then, four days later, I go on a 2000 mile round trip to Myrtle Beach. Should be an interesting trip, as this will be our first chance to try it out, and see what's-what.

We're surprising our son at Shaw AFB, who's become a bit home sick. One night in their on-site camp (which looks good online), then on to the State park.

I guess there is no time to learn like when you have to! I just hope there is nothing seriously wrong when I go to pick it up. I have containers of supplies, so hopefully loading the unit won't be too bad. The plastic tubs should fit into the belly storage and stack nice. I have the 50 amp power protector to install, and really want to get that done before I use the unit, so, that'll be my after-work project next week. Other than the digital upgrade for the TV to Stereo link, that's the only real upgrade I have planned immediately. I don't watch TV, but, I do have DVD's & Blue Rays, so we can have family 'Movie Night' in the trailer too!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Also, anyone with a Columbus, please post some pics on your Progressive 50amp hard wire install. I've read where two different people - I believe with the 320RS like mine - have put them adjacent to the battery cutoff. I'd greatly appreciate some pics, if for no other reason to keep me occupied for one more week!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

Good luck on your new rig and thank your son for serving our great country.

It looks like you have some experience with trailers so I won't lecture except this one thing.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK ALL THE TIRE PRESSURES BEFORE THE TRIP....

Mayny prople think the tire looks full so I'm ready to roll.
Actually most rig failures are from low tire pressure/heat and overloading rig.

I don't have your trialer but I did install a 50 amp in my motorhome.
I just cut the main cable and installed the box inline wirein and wireout.
See pictures
Have fun and I'm sur eyou are counting the days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 004.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	30263   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 001.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	30264   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 007.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	30265  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

I'll pass along the thanks; he's still young enough to think he's the center of the world, so hearing this will reaffirm that belief!

I do have the TST507 TPMS, but that should be an easy install. I selected the unit with the pass-through valves. Hopefully they work well.

My wife has a four horse goose-neck trailer, and that's what I'm used to. This unit is a good deal bigger, heavier (unless all four horses are onboard), and longer. Our first trip with the horse trailer, I go to get gas, and am very carefully monitoring the island, to be sure I don't hit it or a pump. Unfortunately, I was not watching the cigarette sign posted at the top of the port, until I heard the unmistakable sound of screeching metal. The aluminum trailer sidewall was plient enough it just scratched off the paint and left about an 18" long scare, but did not break the metal skin. Hopefully I'll not do anything like that with this!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
I'll pass along the thanks; he's still young enough to think he's the center of the world, so hearing this will reaffirm that belief!

I do have the TST507 TPMS, but that should be an easy install. I selected the unit with the pass-through valves. Hopefully they work well.

My wife has a four horse goose-neck trailer, and that's what I'm used to. This unit is a good deal bigger, heavier (unless all four horses are onboard), and longer. Our first trip with the horse trailer, I go to get gas, and am very carefully monitoring the island, to be sure I don't hit it or a pump. Unfortunately, I was not watching the cigarette sign posted at the top of the port, until I heard the unmistakable sound of screeching metal. The aluminum trailer sidewall was plient enough it just scratched off the paint and left about an 18" long scare, but did not break the metal skin. Hopefully I'll not do anything like that with this!
Don't feel bad about the height of the horse trailer.
My motorhome is 12.5 ft high and total length with car 54ft. (26,000 lbs max)
When I'm driving I have to alway remind myself to look right, left, down and up when entering gas stations and low bridges.
I haven't hit anything yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4198.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	30269  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #6

I will try to get you a pic of my Progressive hard wire install tomorrow. Good stuff!
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote