Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #1

New 320RS,a few comments, problems, and solutions

We are new to the forum. Just picked up our 320RS from RV Wholesalers in Ohio March 22cd. Our experience with Kelly Tussig at RVW was excellent. That said, I would also like to thank all the contributors to this forum for the wealth of information they have provided. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Now maybe we can give a little back by sharing a bit of what my wife and I experienced during our first few weeks in our Columbus 320RS.
First a few of the problems:
1. The black water tank valve cable was not adjusted properly at the factory and was leaking into the common drain pipe. Fortunately on our return to RVW on Saturday morning, the tech was able to adjust the cable quickly and no further issues.
2. The ceiling AC vents were cluttered with several chunks of the styroform material from the roof ducts. Getting the rotating part of the vent out of the base requires prying it off with a thin bladed screw driver.
3. The passenger side rear sheet metal skirt that encloses the very rear section of the under belly was not attached properly and required two self tapping sheet metal screws to properly anchor it to the frame.
4. The shower head was putting out very low volumes of water. If you unscrew the wand from the tubing and take out the little round white flow limiter with the two miniscule holes in it, you will significantly improve the performance of the shower head in low water pressure situations.
5. The glass door that covers the bay for the Samsung stereo was installed upside down, so that it opened up instead of downward. If you move the magnetic latch to the center of the top of the opening and rotate the door 180 degrees so that it opens downward, the door will function properly.
6. The electric fireplace thermostat doesn't work properly because it is zip tied to the air intake at the back top of the fireplace. If you pull the fireplace out and take off the back, you can free the thermostat wire (a black wire about 16" long with a fused beaded end) from the mass of wires in the top right of the case. I routed my thermostat wire out the back of the case, over to and out the edge of the top drawer opening and scotch taped it on the face of the cabinet. Now the thermostat will actually cycle the unit in response the the temperature of air in the room.

On the plus side we are, we are thrilled with the overall features of the Columbus 320RS. If you have any questions about these problems and solutions, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. Thanks again to the many previous contributors and greeting from Port O'Connor way down on the Texas coast. My awnings are flapping as I type from the 28knot gusts generated by the last Norther that passed through here this afternoon. We think it's cold...55*. You folks up north and in the midwest, don't laugh too loud!
Larry and Linda O
larlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
LAY

This is really great information I appreciate your posting it, thank you.
LAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #3

The glass door above my TV opens up, as have the others I have seen. Is this not normal ?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info on your new Columbus! Oh...and I do envy you with your 55* weather!

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

With regards to the fireplace, the air temp at the intake will be the air temp in front of the unit, where you remounted the probe. So I do not understand what advantage you think that brings? Unless the air intake is not bringing in air from the room itself?
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
With regards to the fireplace, the air temp at the intake will be the air temp in front of the unit, where you remounted the probe. So I do not understand what advantage you think that brings? Unless the air intake is not bringing in air from the room itself?
Hi Treaves,
Since the fireplace is seated in the face of the cabinet under the TV and the thermostat probe is inside the cabinet with the heat/ventilator unit, the air inside the cabinet heats up quickly and is warmer than the air being pulled in from the room. Our experience has been that to get the heater to work reliably without shutting off prematurely, we had to run it on "on" and that even with the thermostat set on 82(the highest setting), the heater would not stay on long enough to heat the room. Having repositioned the tip of the thermostat sensor as stated, the heater now maintains relatively constant room temperature and cycles appropriately.
If yours works OK with the thermostat probe inside the cabinet, that's great, no mod is needed. If the heater doesn't work well on thermostat, try the fix.
L&LO
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

So the probe wasn't actually on the air intake then? O.K. Makes sense.
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
The glass door above my TV opens up, as have the others I have seen. Is this not normal ?
Hi amxpress,
On our door, large headed screws were used to mount the hinge, so the glass door wouldn't close and engage the magnetic latch at all. When the door was in the up position, the only way it would stay up was to open the cabinet doors above and rest the door on the face of the cabinet so that you could do anything with the Samsung unit without having to hold the door up with one hand. I replaced the over sized bulge headed screws with flat headed ones so that the hinge would actually close. When you put the magnetic latch above, it will hold the door closed and release it when you push in on the spring mechanism in the latch. When the door opens down, it hangs there out of the way, patiently waiting for me to close it when I'm done with the Samsung unit. To my mind this is a much more suitable arrangement of the door and is probably how it was designed to work when you take into account where it sits.
Happy trails,
L&LO
Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
MI Camperz

Larino...............Good thing you know how to assemble the parts of your new RV....I'm just sayin...
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

Great info Larry, thanks. I am picking up my 320RS today and will post if any of my findings are similar to yours. All in all, that's not a bad list of issues though. Being that this will be my 5th new RV, I can tell you that some have been very trying to get through their "issues".
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #11

The glass door in our entertainment center opens up as well. Normally for that application you are correct, it would open down, but I just assumed they configured it to open up so that it didn't fall open in transit.
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #12

Hey Sarge W,
Good luck with your PDI. Let mw add to other things to my list that I forgot last night.
two failures to caulk:
1. the bottom of the sliding doors in the shower are not caulked and tend to leak a little water under the door... not a big deal, but on my list to fix.
2. all the windows had a nice thick bead of clear caulk across the top except for the big one behind the chairs. Got forgotten like the fender, i guess.
So check your windows.
3. Also forgot to mention, the TV has a swivel mount that attaches above and below. the TV is mounted crooked so that its not level across the top. If you rotate the TV, it tilts in the mount. Don't know if that was done at the factory or if the TV is mounted at the dealer. Haven't fixed it yet.
Later,
L&LO
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperW View Post
The glass door in our entertainment center opens up as well. Normally for that application you are correct, it would open down, but I just assumed they configured it to open up so that it didn't fall open in transit.
Hi SkipperW,
Does your hinge have the right screws in it? Does it close ccompletely and engage the magnetic latch? Just curious. Sofar we've had no issues with the mag latch not keeping it closed.
L&LO
Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

i was told today that my 320 came off the line yesterday. It should be at the dealer by the end of next week>
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #15

Thanks for the heads up Larry! My PDI got put off til tomorrow. They needed extra time to get the generator up and running. So tomorrow morning we roll!
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #16

Good info. Our door also opens up. We just prop it open. Can't wait to be able to go out in ours. Where did you stay in Port Oconnor? Happy camping.
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisbell View Post
Good info. Our door also opens up. We just prop it open. Can't wait to be able to go out in ours. Where did you stay in Port Oconnor? Happy camping.
If I could ask, what do you use to prop the door open?
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #18

Ugh you have not instilled any confidence in me. I'm literally at the airport waiting on my flight to Ohio. So I can inspect my 320RS prior to delivery from RV Wholesalers.
Gazoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #19

Put it up and then just bring the door above it to hold it up. Just don't forget to close it before you leave.
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoink View Post
Ugh you have not instilled any confidence in me. I'm literally at the airport waiting on my flight to Ohio. So I can inspect my 320RS prior to delivery from RV Wholesalers.
Gazoink,
Wasn't trying to rain on your parade. Actually, of the various travel trailers, popups, slide-in campers, and tent campers that we have owned over the years, the Columbus is by far and away the nicest, best made RV of the bunch. There are so many good things and outstanding features in this 5th wheel that I couldn't begin to list them all! The fix up process is one of my favorite parts... my wife always gives me the eye and asks, "Oh no, what are you going to "customize" now."
So look yours over carefully, fixup the things that got missed and enjoy.
Larry O