Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

New 325RL and some findings.

Hello All... Been on/off the forum for a few months now, just got back from picking up our 2015 325RL. We were able to camp in it for a week on it's maiden voyage and so far love the trailer. found a few issues along the way but nothing I hadn't already read about or can't fix...

1) One of the gray/black tanks is not sealing completely. Every time I take cap off a bit of liquid comes out (unfortunately looks like it's the black tank). I'm going to review this during winterization but I think I remember hearing of it before. What's the fix?

2) fireplace/outdoor kitchen slide has gap between slide frame and wall. I don't think I can adjust the slide to get rid of gap as it actually looks like the hole in the wall was cut too wide on one side.. I can see daylight when slide is in so will have to deal with that before winter. Was thinking of spray foam or silicone but waiting for feedback from FR.

3) pantry drawer didn't latch and literally fell out going down the road which ruined both metal slides. I had noticed the latch needed adjustment so shoulda done that before leaving. Had to buy new slides and got the auto-closing ones that hold it shut and added an extra 'side' slide. all good

4) A few baseboard trim pieces have fallen off, put back on with 1/2" brad nails and/or some silicone where required.

5) There is a shelf unit on the left hand side of the fireplace. The trim piece on the unit was extended PAST the wall edge of the slide by about an inch. What that meant is when opening the slide, the trim piece would actually hit the wall before the slide sealed and basically ripped the shelf unit off of the slide. I trimmed the piece so it is flush and re-screwed the shelf unit together.

6) A few of the plumbing connections were loose and leaked. had to tighten up the drain pipe under kitchen sink and found out it's a little short so need to brace it before next year.

all in all, we are loving the Columbus and athough the above list looks long, I do consider them small items and were honestly somewhat expected as this isn't our first new trailer.

sabrecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congratulations!
Just picked up our 2015 320rs last friday!

Came from a sabre.......

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

The holding tanks have a 5' vertical pipe that's ties them together to dump the tanks, it's impossible to get all the liquid out. After you replace the cap and take the first turn it all rolls down the pipe and to the cap.
Rmk2001800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmk2001800 View Post
The holding tanks have a 5' vertical pipe that's ties them together to dump the tanks, it's impossible to get all the liquid out. After you replace the cap and take the first turn it all rolls down the pipe and to the cap.
I was curious about that, the pipe appears to be very 'level' instead of sloped. Has anyone tried lowering the mounting point at the end of the pipe to allow for better/faster drainage? Preferably drain BEFORE putting the cap on? LOL
Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

The vertical is in the underbelly- don't ask why I have been under their either.... Long story!

The 2 tanks are next to each other, the 5' pipe connects the 2 dump gates then drops down from the frame and out the side.

I just saw someone at the camp ground put a gate at the end of the pipe where they attach the hose- might be a good idea, I have just been running with out the cap from the campground home to avoid the issues of "stuff" on my hands...
Rmk2001800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

On every RV made to avoid just what you commented on, manufacturers could put an extra gate at end of drain pipe. I have done this on every RV I have owned. FR sent me a piece of pipe, a coupling and a new valterra gate valve that I installed on my cedar creek. A little abs glue and a hacksaw and job was an EZ fix, no more dirty water coming out when you take off the cap.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

Pic of gap.

Here's a picture of the 'gap' that I mentioned above on the fireplace slide... It appears to be between the slide frame and the wall.. Waiting for FR to advise what to fill with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Detroit 085.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	92573  
Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Out of the 1000 plus members of our Columbus Group, I have found that some have problems and some don't.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #9

I had the same issue with the valves. The dealer installed a Valterra valve at the connection point. It solved the problem. The factory tube is too long to get all the liquid for sure as someone mentioned before.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote