Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 06:19 AM   #1

new Columbus 340RKC

Good morning everyone,
I am new to the Palomino forum. My wife and I just purchased a new 2018 Columbus 340RKC and we are so impressed with what we have seen with it and we are hoping to get some input from fellow owners.
We made a very good deal on this coach which swayed us from a Rockwood Signature 5th wheel costing about the same but it seems that you get so much more and a quite bit stronger unit.
I was wondering if I can ask everyone about our tow vehicle and your input. We could not get an answer about the bed size for clearance purposes so we opted for an 8' bed just to be sure. After checking all the specs for weight etc. we ordered a new 2018 Ram 2500 with 6.4L V8 with 4.10 diff. and anti spin with 8' bed.
All specs seem like we made a good choice, maybe not everyone else's first choice, but still what we thought would be best for us. We hope to be talking with some of you soon and we are hoping to have a great time as new full timers.
Harry & Jill {navypoppop & Irish Eyes}
navygrandparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #2

I really like the Columbus line. We have friends who are dying to get a 377MBC. They had a couple of models at a recent RV show and they're nice units.

I think your truck will be fun but you're getting close to the limits. Again, my opinion is you'll be OK but over time if you travel a lot, you'll want to get a 3500 and a diesel engine.

Have a great time and enjoy!
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

So you jumped from a "Micro Lite" to a 5th Wheel? in your Retirement! Go Navy! Youroo!!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. We started out thinking we would just go with a MicroLite for weekend travels but the wife said lets go the full timer route. After looking at an Ultra lite Rockwood and almost buying one we saw this Palomino Compass 340RKC with the rear kitchen and it was final! I'm sure that most people would say a dually and diesel would be the way to go and I agree if we were travelling across the country but our initial travels are from Florida to NC, VA, TN and AL stopping at each area and staying for a month at a time to enjoy the sites and play tourists. The Ram 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi is rated at 15,800# and we weigh well under 13,000# loaded. Because of the total cost involved with the diesel purchase we went this route and I'm sure it will be fine. We thank you for all your input and hope to see some of you in our travels.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Retired

Congratulations on your new Columbus 340RK.
We spent about 2 years and many hours looking at floor plans, manufactures and visiting dealers through out the northeast. Two weeks ago we purchased a Columbus 340RK and will be doing the PDI at the end of March. We found a awesome dealer who treated us well.
Looking forward to camping season.
Enjoy your 340RK.
Have a great NAVY Day

Happy Trails
Old 03-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #6

Took delivery of our 340RKC in January. Hope to take our first trip from NJ to Wilmer, Al to see the grandkids this weekend if the weather cooperates (Coastguard grandparents). Really like the floor plan. Wife thinks a floor to ceiling pantry to the right of the refrigerator makes more sense than the slide out counter. May have a summer project.
fifth wheelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

DW and I have had our 340rk for 4 seasons.. it has been trouble free..other than minor walk through Issues.. Enjoy..
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

Here is the First Mod on my then new 2014 340rk
Why would you put a ladder over a Window when you have the whole rest of the back.. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6219.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	165834

I still laugh at this.. But were happy to look out from the Kitchen Window.
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #9

Congrats on your 340RK, wishing you many years of enjoyment. I went the same route with my 295RLC, 6.4 Hemi w/4.10 gears and haven't regretted it. Pulls my 5er just fine all within weight limits. I have pulled it up and down significant grades without issue. The truck works hard going up grades and from a stop but always gets up to speed. The only time I wish I had the 3500 diesel is going down grades for the exhaust brake, I'm sure it feels much more in control but I have never towed with a diesel so I don't know. I just use the lower gears and take my time and all is fine. I've always been curious about 3/4 ton diesels being significantly over payload specs with all of the Columbus models but it seams to be a common choice for many owners. I am sure it pulls and stops better than my set up and only an issue when its an issue for insurance, tickets or suspension wear and tear. BTW, my fuel mileage has been 9 when towing and 15 combined when not with the Hemi. Happy Trails...
tonybarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #10

340RKC and Ram 2500

We wish to thank all of you for your replies and encouragement. Our new Ram finally arrived last week and what a sweet ride she is. Some will encourage the diesel idea but our style of Rv'ing will be fine with the 6.4L. We leave Florida the end of May for Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi and return to Florida in November for the winter. We are staying a month in each RV park in these states so not a lot of driving or hills to put the Ram under pressure. The Columbus has been just perfect for us except for a small leak under the shower into the basement area that the local Forest River dealer is going to fix next week. It seems to be dripping from the hose connections at the rear of the shower faucet. Oh well no big problem. We wish everyone a great summer and we will post often.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

We are very happy with our 340RKC. The dealer (Campers Inn Philadelphia) & factory response to issues is a problem. A simple answer to a switch of a sleeper sofa is being ignored. Fortunately have not had any mechanical problems I could not take care of. No problem recommending the product. Don’t expect any support after you drive off the lot.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:30 AM   #12

Fifth Wheelen,
Thanks for your comment. We too bought from Campers Inn-Leesburg, Fl. and it was not as expected. They fixed the initial problems detected at walk-through then bring it to them at their convenience. Oh well we love the coach and are leaving Florida the end of May for a 6 month journey throughout the southern states.g everyone.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

We are at the Jekyll Island, Ga campground thru tomorrow. Highly recommended if you need a stopover on your way North. Safe travels.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #14

thinking of trading in my Rockwood 8285IKWS 32ft for the 340RKC Compass 37ft.
Any comments from owners of the Compass would be welcomed.
Thanks
pmay2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #15

Columbus 340RKC

pmay2088,
We purchased ours in March 2018 and we love it. We have had a few issues that warranty fixed 2 and we fixed 2.
1-We had a water leak into the basement area from behind the shower, a screw into water line and fixed by dealer.
2-The converter failed causing the AC not to come on because of lack of 12V and fixed by dealer.
3-The left bedroom closet clothes rack came out of wall while travelling. I put in longer screw and moly's and removed some jeans. Probably too heavy.
4-Left side sliding closet door upper track came down and repaired the same way with larger screws.
We love the ride, the looks and the huge living area this model offers. I decided to go with this model because of tire size, axle weight capacities, the insulation values are higher and it tows like a dream.
Good luck if you decide on one we have not regretted it.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #16

Question

Have a question regarding the sofa bed that came with your unit. Does it have a mattress like the one in the photo?
Old 08-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #17

Columbus 340RKC

Fifth Wheelin,
Ours has a full mattress so I am calling it a sofa bed and not like a futon. We found out that there is 2 style sofas available. One has 2 cushions and a small built in table next to the slideout window and the top is the same corian type surface. The other style has wider cushions and no table because it fits to the wall. We have the first type and love it.
We also have the large residential refrigerator which is nice but I would rather have had the RV refrigerator which came with a full length pantry next to it. I believe the residential is about 20 cu. ft. and the RV type was 8 cu. ft. std. or 18 cu. ft. available.
I hope this helps you. I will be more than glad to answer your questions so good luck in your choice.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #18

Can you send a picture of the sofa to mark@gessusa.com.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #19

I hope you enjoy your 340RK as much as we have. We bought our slightly used unit a couple of years ago. In our case we already had a 3500 Ram Dually as we intended on towing a different brand, much larger, toy hauler. When that deal tanked, we had a truck and nothing to tow. We found our 340RK and our truck handles it just fine, flats, mountains, etc.
Other than minor issues that we are able to repair ourselves easily, our unit is doing well.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus