Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

New Dometic ACs..whisper quiet?....but trouble?

Just joined...being from Columbus...had to order a Columbus 320(grey)...factory is gonna put Woody Hayes's picture on the front cap.

OK, so I'm a 'junior member' (feel like I should be wearing knee-length trousers, or sumthin'), but I've been RV-ing many, many years. After reading what a 'babe-magnet' these Columbus units are, I figured it might help me find one.....

Anyway, in the course of shopping for a replacement for my M.Mountaineer, it's become clear that Dometic is pushing their new, high-output, residential-style, ducted AC system with roof cold-air returns.

MFGs always want to go with the latest & greatest, and I like the theory...biggest benefit is an AC system that is supposedly quieter than a gnat fart. Reality, however, is that these systems have only been in the field a coupla' years, or so....I'm wondering about owner experiences with reliability....any takers?

Thanks!
RoaminBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Trailer Trash

They are not quiet when vent is open so air blows straight down into living room. They are fairly quiet when vent is closed so air blows through ducts throught round ceiling vents. The smaller bedroom AC is noisy as people complain about this one. Some kind of rubber grommet kit has helped. And some units were replaced and that helped. They all remind me of a window air conditioner from an apartment for noise level. Whisper quite is simply false.

Reliability is a moot point on Columbus as the first ones were put in service fall/winter of 2011. That is not very long service life yet.

They are a chick magnet. Neighbors from other RV's will come over and visit. The ladies sit down in the theatre seating and don't want to leave. Be carefull of which husband you tick off. The rolling center island is great for hosting cocktails. Play a movie with the surround sound while your at it. I'm single also and having fun with it. LOL!
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

Joelek, you mention some kind of grommet kit that might help the noise level on the bedroom AC. Do you know where these grommets are installed at? The front bedroom AC on our new Columbus 320 is loud to say the least. If you or anyone has tried the grommets or anything else for the matter, I would certainly appreciate feedback.
Lifeiisajourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
The smaller bedroom AC is noisy as people complain about this one. Some kind of rubber grommet kit has helped. And some units were replaced and that helped.
For clarification, is the bedroom A/C ducted or quick cool as the options list doesn't specify?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Ducted but is still very noisy with the direct cool vent shut.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that this I what the OP is referring to... http://www.dometic.com/9ad940dc-efdc...af0d81ae.fodoc

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the link Dave.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

The main reason I went with the Cedar Creek instead of the Columbus was the a/c return air vents. The CC has Circular Motion Ductwork with cold air returns on each side of the ceiling in both living room and bedroom. No single return right under the a/c to make a lot of noise.
This really cuts down on the noise, to me it is indeed "quiet cool". Several manufacturers are doing this in the living room areas but not the bedroom.
When we went to trade our Sabre for a Columbus the dealer had a Columbus 320 next to a Cedar Creek 34 RLSA. When we saw the a/c system in the CC we were sold. We really like the quiet cool.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeiisajourney View Post
Joelek, you mention some kind of grommet kit that might help the noise level on the bedroom AC. Do you know where these grommets are installed at? The front bedroom AC on our new Columbus 320 is loud to say the least. If you or anyone has tried the grommets or anything else for the matter, I would certainly appreciate feedback.
I don't have a bedroom AC. Mine is setup in MN and the need for two AC units is not very often. That being said, dang near everyone that I read about that does have a bedroom AC on the 320RS is a low profile unit and it is loud. The grommet kits are something dealers have been installing to isolate vibration thus quieting noise. It makes it better but it's still noisy in a bedroom. Others say they like the noise as it lulls them to sleep. So I would go by vibration and not noise. If the unit has lots of vibration to it, check with your favorite dealer and have them demo other rigs on their lot and compare it to yours. Supposedly there is a quiet/secret recall by Dometic to install a better unit. Again, check with your dealer.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

Thanks Joelek, good advice. I'll continue my pursuit of a fix to dampen the excessive vibration/noise that makes it difficult to even hear the TV. One reason for joining this thread is to get some good advice on issues from folks like you. In so far as locating a good dealer that is currently the issue. The dealer we bought from has not returned phone calls,emails or even responded to an official warranty request made on their website(made the first request two weeks a go). Thanks again for your post. Bottom line if I can't get the thing to quiet down, I guess I'll have to move to MN where it's not as hot😄.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #11

We had the grommet kit put in at Goshen and it made a huge difference. It took away some noise but the best thing was it took away the vibration.
bobbyv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here is the Grommet kit that they speak of. I have it on my Columbus it quiets the bedroom A/C it down a little but not much.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Grommet Kit Page 1.pdf (564.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: pdf Dometic Grommet Kit Page 2.pdf (603.6 KB, 171 views)
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #13

Can any of that be done without opening the freon system?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminBuckeye View Post
Just joined...being from Columbus...had to order a Columbus 320(grey)...factory is gonna put Woody Hayes's picture on the front cap.

OK, so I'm a 'junior member' (feel like I should be wearing knee-length trousers, or sumthin'), but I've been RV-ing many, many years. After reading what a 'babe-magnet' these Columbus units are, I figured it might help me find one.....

Anyway, in the course of shopping for a replacement for my M.Mountaineer, it's become clear that Dometic is pushing their new, high-output, residential-style, ducted AC system with roof cold-air returns.

MFGs always want to go with the latest & greatest, and I like the theory...biggest benefit is an AC system that is supposedly quieter than a gnat fart. Reality, however, is that these systems have only been in the field a coupla' years, or so....I'm wondering about owner experiences with reliability....any takers?

Thanks!
Woody Hayes' picture on the front cap will surely attract a lot of chicks. Can't miss.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Can any of that be done without opening the freon system?
Barry,
I watched them do it and it can all be done without messing with the Freon system. The whole unit unbolts 4 bolts and 2 wire connections and then you can remove the whole thing. It took them about 15-30 minutes
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #16

As the duct work in the bedroom is connected to the living area, I just use the AC that is not where I am. When I first arrive I'll turn on both zones to cool off the unit. But after that, one of the unit's has been enough to maintain temp. So I'll turn on the AC in the bedroom when I'm in the living area, and at night, reverse this. I still get plenty of air throughout, and much reduced noise.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
As the duct work in the bedroom is connected to the living area, I just use the AC that is not where I am. When I first arrive I'll turn on both zones to cool off the unit. But after that, one of the unit's has been enough to maintain temp. So I'll turn on the AC in the bedroom when I'm in the living area, and at night, reverse this. I still get plenty of air throughout, and much reduced noise.
We tried that, but in our RV there are separate temp sensors for each zone and our bedroom was getting too warm with the living room AC only. (I know, I could just turn that one down more...my friends keep reminding me that I'm not paying for the electricity, but conservation is in my blood.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #18

the Dometic in my 36RE. 36CKTS, ridgeview were all Dometic units that would make as much noise as a freight train, just the nature of the Beast. if you want quite go coleman mach.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
I don't have a Columbus but I do the same thing in my Sabre! Works great!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote