Old 12-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

New problem with Hot Water pressure

I have had great pressure on my Hot Water on all faucets until 4 days ago. I use the electric function on my HWH and checked and flushed my HWH tank today, the anode rod was not that bad but did have some calcium buildup, plus I flushed a lot of calcium and debris out of the tank, after completing this the pressure is still low, just a trickle. Has anyone experienced this or have the answer on how to repair. Thank You in advance.

Sparks Full Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks Full Timers View Post
I have had great pressure on my Hot Water on all faucets until 4 days ago. I use the electric function on my HWH and checked and flushed my HWH tank today, the anode rod was not that bad but did have some calcium buildup, plus I flushed a lot of calcium and debris out of the tank, after completing this the pressure is still low, just a trickle. Has anyone experienced this or have the answer on how to repair. Thank You in advance.
If I am understanding right, you already had pressure problems before flushing the water heater, correct?

Have you by chance fiddled with your bypass/crossover valves to the water heater? This could cause the symptoms you describe

Is the pressure low on all the hot water taps......but you have good pressure on the cold water taps still?

It's possible there is some trash stuck in the hot water line coming out of the water heater, thus cutting flow to all the hot water taps.

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #3

Is the cold side as low as or perhaps lower than it was?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

To answer both questions, yes the problem did occur before I flushed the tank, and no the cold side pressure appears to be the same as it has always been. I have not done anything with the bypass valve, I am not sure where it is located on my Columbus unit.
Sparks Full Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

The aerators on faucets are blocked from the calcium that you disturbed. Unscrew, wash screens, turn on faucet, it will splash, when comes out clean, put screen back.. that should do it.
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #6

Ditto

Ditto to what Tom just posted. Plugged strainers
Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3205 View Post
The aerators on faucets are blocked from the calcium that you disturbed. Unscrew, wash screens, turn on faucet, it will splash, when comes out clean, put screen back.. that should do it.
OP in post #4 stated that problem occurred before flushing tank, and that the cold water is not affected (which it also should be with a plugged strainer). I was thinking originally that it might be a clogged strainer too, which is why I asked when the problem happened, and if the cold water was affected.

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

I lost hot water while taking a shower. Fortunately that happened on the homeward-bound leg of our trip. When I got home, I spent several hours troubleshooting.

I discovered there is a backflow preventer valve on the output side of the Suburban HW heater. After 10 years of service, the little plastic part inside the valve had worn out.

I replaced it with:
Backflow Preventer Check Valve 1/2 Brass - $8.95

Problem solved!
KD5OUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Verify if there is a check valve installed on the discharge side on the water heater. May need replaced.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
RVdoctor

I agree that it is most likely a back flow preventer on the output side of water heater. Could possible be a faulty water heater winterizing valve as well but not likely. If cold water flows okay at faucets then faucet strainers are not the problem.

rvdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, pressure, water