Old 11-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
New to Forum, Seeking Advice!

Threads merged. See next post to help member with their Columbus.

LNGrandePrairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Desperate for Advise!

We bought a new 5th wheel toy hauler (Columbus F3600TH) on JUL 12, 2014, and had it only 2-3 attempted weekends until APR 2015, each attempt to take it failed. It has been plagued since day one with defects like serious electrical shortages, burning electrical & a melted braking system & emergency exit windows that wouldn't open, and all other exterior & interior doors that don't close right. Our exterior doors have repeated broken locks from them being forced to close.

The dealer sold to new owners, who won't service it as they say it's not their responsibility. After 16 months, the old owners told us to bring it back. They inspected it and said they were certain it needed to go back to the manufacturer and they would make it right. A week later we got a call stating we had 5 hours to get there and get our trailer as they were out of business (we are almost 7 hours away in another city).

The manufacturer initially said they'd have it delivered to their facility to strip down & rebuild, then they recanted the following morning adding they'd only look at it if we pulled it to Indiana ourselves (we are a week drive to get there as we live in a remote region in northern Alberta Canada). More concerning is that the braking control system has melted 3 times and we are fearful to pull this trailer anywhere.

After 16 months I've run out of ideas where to turn. I started a website to post our story, hoping someone would tell us where to turn. If anyone here can offer advise I'd truly, truly appreciate it.

Here's my site: RV Lemon in Grande Prairie - RV SERVICE IN ALBERTA Lemon Deal

Grande Prairie Alberta Canada

Old 11-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Ouch !!

Man, I do feel for you. I wish I had some advice for you. Seems like the only route available to you is to hire someone to transport it to the factory.

I wish the very best outcome for you.

Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Northern Ohio
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Your second video brings back memories of the day I plugged into a brand new 50 amp pedestal at a campground we've been every Spring for at least 4 years.

As soon as I plugged in my wife hollered EVERYTHING IS POPPING!!!!!!!. Then the breaker on the pedestal tripped. I was camping that weekend with two journeymen electricians. One test showed the pedestal 50 amp receptacle was wired "220"

After wiring the pedestal right and plugging in again we found exactly what you have going on with your microwave. Our turntable was running backwards without the microwave turned on.
The 220 took out the converter, microwave, home entertainment center, bedroom stereo, central vacuum, and fireplace.

I would suggest you have your 5er checked out by a licensed electrician to see if you got hit with 220 volts.

cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
I'll definitely do this, but the first time the electrical showed issues was plugged into the 110 outlet at the dealer. It kept tripping the breaker there. They said it was their outlet. We got it home, and it blew the breaker on our entire house. So we went right back. They serviced it, said it was a short. Then we left with it, got about 3 hours down the road and we had no braking system. When it finally got back to the dealer, they entire electrical had been melted from the wheel to the controller.

They've found endless shorts, most from the factory, but i know that the dealers servicemen cut some wires when they couldn't find the source shortage too. After that, was when we noticed the burning wire smell coming from the electrical panel.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
So sorry for your nightmare. WOW.
Hate to say it but, looks like it's time for an attorney.
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Man, my heart goes out to you guys as well. I read through your posted information and you couldn't make up a story like that. What a nightmare! I guess if it were me, I would continue to make my way up the Forest River management chain...including Warren Buffet. Forest River is a great company and I can't believe that you have not received satisfaction thus far. Good luck and keep us updated.

gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
Hello LN Grand Prairie.

I have sent a PM's to a couple Rally buddies of mine that may have contact information for Columbus Factory on the forum.

So sorry to see the oil collapse catch you and your RV is a mess of dealers going under. Being a fellow Canuck I would lay off the lawyer route right now and try to get a Factory resolution.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
Met a couple 2 years ago with a NON Forest River brand who lived in N Canada. Their unit was 4 plus years old and out of warranty. They were on the way to the factory to have the frame straightened at factory expense. They stayed after the factory, without a lawyer, and were about to find resolution. I suggest you continue to connect with FR and eventually you may have to take that rig back home to Indiana. FR knows "stuff happens" in the build. I recently had to take my 2015 Silverback for extensive repair from Atlanta. The factory COULD NOT get me in before spring. We opted, at factory recommendation and referral, to use a service center in Goshen. Sometimes you need to make choices that may not be your first option but an ADEQUATE solution.
My "selling dealer" was a small operation and not equipped to make the repairs and it was equidistant either direction (675 to Goshen, 655 south Florida). No brainer.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Call these number till you get some answers.

Claims/Warranty Brandy (574) 825-1891
Melanie Newcombe Warranty Manager (574) 825-3161 fax (574) 821-1512
Miranda Blackburn Service (574) 821-1487
Jennifer Parts (574) 821-1540
Shawn Service (260) 316-7688
Andy Downton Sales (574) 226-9566
Jack Plummer Sales (574) 210-4810

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote