Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

New to Forum, Seeking Advice!

Threads merged. See next post to help member with their Columbus.
LNGrandePrairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #2

Desperate for Advise!

We bought a new 5th wheel toy hauler (Columbus F3600TH) on JUL 12, 2014, and had it only 2-3 attempted weekends until APR 2015, each attempt to take it failed. It has been plagued since day one with defects like serious electrical shortages, burning electrical & a melted braking system & emergency exit windows that wouldn't open, and all other exterior & interior doors that don't close right. Our exterior doors have repeated broken locks from them being forced to close.

The dealer sold to new owners, who won't service it as they say it's not their responsibility. After 16 months, the old owners told us to bring it back. They inspected it and said they were certain it needed to go back to the manufacturer and they would make it right. A week later we got a call stating we had 5 hours to get there and get our trailer as they were out of business (we are almost 7 hours away in another city).

The manufacturer initially said they'd have it delivered to their facility to strip down & rebuild, then they recanted the following morning adding they'd only look at it if we pulled it to Indiana ourselves (we are a week drive to get there as we live in a remote region in northern Alberta Canada). More concerning is that the braking control system has melted 3 times and we are fearful to pull this trailer anywhere.

After 16 months I've run out of ideas where to turn. I started a website to post our story, hoping someone would tell us where to turn. If anyone here can offer advise I'd truly, truly appreciate it.

Here's my site: RV Lemon in Grande Prairie - RV SERVICE IN ALBERTA Lemon Deal

LN
Grande Prairie Alberta Canada
Old 11-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Ouch !!

Man, I do feel for you. I wish I had some advice for you. Seems like the only route available to you is to hire someone to transport it to the factory.

I wish the very best outcome for you.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Your second video brings back memories of the day I plugged into a brand new 50 amp pedestal at a campground we've been every Spring for at least 4 years.

As soon as I plugged in my wife hollered EVERYTHING IS POPPING!!!!!!!. Then the breaker on the pedestal tripped. I was camping that weekend with two journeymen electricians. One test showed the pedestal 50 amp receptacle was wired "220"

After wiring the pedestal right and plugging in again we found exactly what you have going on with your microwave. Our turntable was running backwards without the microwave turned on.
The 220 took out the converter, microwave, home entertainment center, bedroom stereo, central vacuum, and fireplace.

I would suggest you have your 5er checked out by a licensed electrician to see if you got hit with 220 volts.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

I'll definitely do this, but the first time the electrical showed issues was plugged into the 110 outlet at the dealer. It kept tripping the breaker there. They said it was their outlet. We got it home, and it blew the breaker on our entire house. So we went right back. They serviced it, said it was a short. Then we left with it, got about 3 hours down the road and we had no braking system. When it finally got back to the dealer, they entire electrical had been melted from the wheel to the controller.

They've found endless shorts, most from the factory, but i know that the dealers servicemen cut some wires when they couldn't find the source shortage too. After that, was when we noticed the burning wire smell coming from the electrical panel.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

So sorry for your nightmare. WOW.
Hate to say it but, looks like it's time for an attorney.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Man, my heart goes out to you guys as well. I read through your posted information and you couldn't make up a story like that. What a nightmare! I guess if it were me, I would continue to make my way up the Forest River management chain...including Warren Buffet. Forest River is a great company and I can't believe that you have not received satisfaction thus far. Good luck and keep us updated.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello LN Grand Prairie.

I have sent a PM's to a couple Rally buddies of mine that may have contact information for Columbus Factory on the forum.

So sorry to see the oil collapse catch you and your RV is a mess of dealers going under. Being a fellow Canuck I would lay off the lawyer route right now and try to get a Factory resolution.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #9

Met a couple 2 years ago with a NON Forest River brand who lived in N Canada. Their unit was 4 plus years old and out of warranty. They were on the way to the factory to have the frame straightened at factory expense. They stayed after the factory, without a lawyer, and were about to find resolution. I suggest you continue to connect with FR and eventually you may have to take that rig back home to Indiana. FR knows "stuff happens" in the build. I recently had to take my 2015 Silverback for extensive repair from Atlanta. The factory COULD NOT get me in before spring. We opted, at factory recommendation and referral, to use a service center in Goshen. Sometimes you need to make choices that may not be your first option but an ADEQUATE solution.
My "selling dealer" was a small operation and not equipped to make the repairs and it was equidistant either direction (675 to Goshen, 655 south Florida). No brainer.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Call these number till you get some answers.

Claims/Warranty Brandy (574) 825-1891
Melanie Newcombe Warranty Manager (574) 825-3161 fax (574) 821-1512
Miranda Blackburn Service (574) 821-1487
Jennifer Parts (574) 821-1540
Shawn Service (260) 316-7688
Andy Downton Sales (574) 226-9566
Jack Plummer Sales (574) 210-4810
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Having been through major issues over the past year with my Sabre I can feel your pain. As bad as my issues were (2 factory trips plus factory rally, rebuilt slides, propane leaks etc), your problems make mine sound minor. I was not protected by a lemon law here either. I did keep climbing the food chain at palomino until I got someone who could help. Like you, I stayed polite and respectful but made my expectations known. I never got a new trailer and we are still finding issues with ours. They did help us and they did have someone transport our fiver to and from NC to the factory twice. My best advice is to climb the chain of command. If someone can't help you, ask for their boss. It was a program developmental manager that was finally able to help me with my Sabre. I wish you luck and happiness.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I sent you the contact info that I had.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #13

I appreciate deeply the time you took to look these up, but we’ve exhausted these already.

For over a year, we’d been told to deal with B* at Forest River Inc, after months of unreturned emails & calls, our last message to him said we were going public if we didn’t’ get a call back in 24 hours. In minutes we got a call from M* (Service). She apologized and said this was the first she’d heard or it. She spoke with Go RV and confirmed all we claimed on the trailer’s issues & agreed it needed to go back to the factory.
She said they coming to get our trailer, would take it back to the factory & strip it down. Based on what they found at that point, they would decide then on if it was worth rebuilding, if not, they’d replace it. We were beyond relieved that finally we were getting action on it.

Less than 24 hours later though, W* (Service Manager) called and recanted M's promise to us. He said now they’d only look at it if we brought it to Indiana ourselves. We are a week’s drive from Indiana. More important, the braking system has melted 3 times now. That trailer is too dangerous for us to drive it down there. We explained all this to Wayne but he was unmoved. He simply said that’s the best they’d do. He added there would be no guarantee of what they’d do once they got it there or what the outcome options would be. We were utterly stunned.

So, short of getting an owner involved from Forest River Inc, I think this door is sadly closed.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #14

Thank you. I will take your advise and see if there is someone above the Service Manager. I'm so moved by the care in this forum. I was afraid to reach out, and the encouragement here helps so much. Thank you, thank you
Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
LN

I know of many forums members assisting you personally and their trouble they have had with repairs, myself included.

Palamino is now being run by a different group manager (Rockwood/flagstaff). They admit straight up they have had problems and are trying to rectify them. We are looking at Columbus ourselves in the near future and after the plant tour and chit chat with staff I feel confident they will make good on issues.

As Asquared mentioned be persistent but professional!

When you get a hold of FR rep you might suggest a mobile RV tech to get the safety related issues fixed, brake wiring failure, main electrical issues. Someone needs to trouble shoot this and find the problems.

Then it can be safely driven and used. The rest is factory work and with Winter there already (at least 40 cm in Banff) flatbed might be best option.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #16

Update!

Oh my land, I don't know how to thank all of you on this thread!

I got some great leads sent to me the couple of days, and I sent an email this morning to the one that (I think) was higher up the chain than any of my previous FR contacts. I included a link to my website that I created & the RV Lemon Facebook page.

Within a couple hours, Forest River Inc contacted my husband and did a complete 180. I truly didn't believe it---but Forest River has already sent us the papers for the border crossing! I won't go into details yet, however I believe they are SINCERE THIS TIME to make it right. I have vowed, that once we have this all behind us, I will be posting on ALL of my sites my gratitude to the manufacturer for making this right with us.

It's never been my intent to wish anyone ill will, included the 2 dealerships involved that left us high and dry. However, when you are not treated right, I think we can't just slip away quietly. I waited 16 months to go public, and only did so after we felt every resource was exhausted. I have been cordial with all interactions (well 'almost' all... I did have a couple swears come out by accident), but given what we've been thru, not reflective at all of my true character.

So thank you all. I cannot thank you enough for your kindness. You are my hero's. I will post updates here as they happen.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #17
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Glad to hear it
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #18

x2. Looks like you stayed classy and cordial throughout this experience, as well. That will almost always get you much farther than shouting insults and threats. Best of luck

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #19

This past summer I had my trailer brakes rewired from the battery back to the brakes. The rewire was all done outside the coach, on the underbelly. You may have to do this so as to make the unit road worthy for whoever takes it to FR, then in the discussion ask FR for reimbursement on the rewire. The key to the discussion is being assertive not aggressive. Your doing well, please continue.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote