Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

New to me Puma 27FQ

We took out our Puma 27FQ for our first adventure this last weekend. We learned a ton, and probably ended up with more questions than answers. We planned on going to the nearest campground that would have room for a walk-in. Unfortunately, fires are rampant here in the west and all most of the campgrounds south of us have been evacuated, or the people just couldn't handle the smoke. (Notice the smoke haze in the pic below.) I took off work early so we would be sure to get a spot, but according to the host, "every campground in the county filled by 10am." So..... we went boondocking for our first campout.

The kids were a little upset because we promised them they could ride their scooters & bikes around the campground. Instead, we went on hikes, picked wildflowers, and watched the deer, squirrels & birds. We figured we'd end up hot & wanting the air conditioner, but instead we ended up needing the furnace. It was frightfully cold at night at 8000+ ft!

Our Yukon XL had tons of power to pull the trailer, but I am a bit worried about tranny temps crawling up steep off-road grades in 4wd slowly with the air conditioner on full blast in 100+ heat. After a bit of searching I found that's the "perfect storm" for overheating your transmission. I plan on going on one more trip pulling uphill a bit faster on pavement to see if I still get too hot before I put in a bigger cooler.

So far we are very happy with our new-to-us trailer, and now have RESERVATIONS for a campground where the kids can ride their bikes. Thanks for all of your help deciding on a trailer. You guys are great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	15999

retire_early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Our Yukon XL had tons of power to pull the trailer, but I am a bit worried about tranny temps crawling up steep off-road grades in 4wd slowly with the air conditioner on full blast in 100+ heat. After a bit of searching I found that's the "perfect storm" for overheating your transmission. I plan on going on one more trip pulling uphill a bit faster on pavement to see if I still get too hot before I put in a bigger cooler

bigger cooler is a good idea but I seen the best benefit from a 16" hayden electric fan I installed on the inside of the radiator and also used a hayden manual adjusted temp switch . so fan come on at a certain temp.
took about 1 and a 1/2 hours to install and works great !
visit your local oriellys store to purchase .
I can get you pt numbers of what I got if your interested?
leave the existing belt driven fan on for more benefit.

also changing trans fluid to synthetic will help as well .

Ron