Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #1

newbie questions...Shoreline power?

I recently bought a travel trailer... we went from a popup to a 2010 Puma 30FQSS. I was just used to hooking into the garage extension cord to power the lights. Well I left the trailer with the slide out extended and turned off all lights. I came back a few days later and battery drained. I was wondering if I could just hook up to an extension cord running from the garage to help power and charge the battery. I dont quite know what they consider "SHORELINE" power. Im really not stupid...I have had no one show me how to use this or what to do, so I have been trying to read on the manuals and it doesnt go into that much detail. Any feedback is appreciated.
1999 Ford Expedition
brandy2679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

Yes you can you can plug the camper in to the house just make sure that the plug can handle 15 amps and you should buy an 30 or 50 amp cord so that you do not melt one of hoes common orange exstention cords (fire hazard) or you can also put a mid west electric 30 amp power box in your grudge so that you can use all of your camper when it is in your driveway
Matthews1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

Also plug into a non GFCI protected outlet. Since the trailer has its own GFCI, nuisance trips can happen when they are plugged in line with each other.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Site Team

brandy, what's different is the TT has a lot more parasitic power drains than your old popup.
therefore, if you only have one battery, it can be dead in just a few days.
the solution most do, is add a battery disconnect switch.
so you can just turn off the battery connection and the battery can sit, without drains for a long time without it being drained.

the other solution is keeping the shore cord connected to an outlet. this if fine but you'll have the same issue if you dry camp, without a disconnect switch.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I had been reading other posts and seen people recommending the Battery disconnect switch, I think I will definatly look int that.

I looked at a local TSC store we have local in town and saw a extension cord for $129.99 I was trying to find a cheaper way around that. I like the idea of putting a 30 amp in the garage. I will check into that.

My main concern was that I was hurting something by plugging into the garage if it was not the correct amp output.
1999 Ford Expedition
brandy2679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Gary and Pam

The cheapest way to do things is to get a 12 gauge cord to run from your garage. It will handle your power needs as far as charging and the frig. Just don't run the ac. The cord will handle the amps that the house breaker will supply before it trips.
Nights camped 2010-20 2011-26 2012-22

GSF63 is offline   Reply With Quote