Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
dms

Newbie questions: weight, brakes,...

Hello,

I am newbie on path of purchasing Palomino Gazelle g-178 qb. For now I am exploring it on-line. Before going to actual dealership I'd like to have better understanding of some issues.

Weights: I understand difference between dry weight and GVWR. However, there are two confusing points regarding dry weight itself. One is lack of definition what is standard equipment counted in that weight. Another is wildly ranging "dry weight" reported by dealers on apparently identically configured units (and vs. manufacturer's brochure). Ex. I have seen identically equipped units on sale on Internet posting anything between 2900 to 3500 lbs as the "dry weight". Their mistake or my misunderstanding? What is counted in manufacturer brochure listed dry weight spec?

Brakes: As far as I understand brakes are mandatory for travel trailers in US. However, I don't see any mention of brakes in standard equipment in manufacturer brochures or in sales ads. Closest to it are options some dealers have for brake controllers, need and function of which I understand - but what is with brakes themselves? Are they included and just ignored in descriptions or one must ask for their installation?
dms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Add about 500 lbs. to the listed dry weight, and that will get you in the ball park of what the trailer will weight after adding a battery, propane, AC, awning and other items. The listed dry weight on my SV 263 was 4139, but weighing coming back from the dealer was 4760.

With most trailers except the lighter weight pop-ups, trailer brakes should be a standard item.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Manufacturer dry weight is generally the bare trailer. Then you have the weight as the dealer sells it, add awning, propane tanks and propane, battery, etc. This will add around 500 pounds to the manufacture dry weight, and may account for the weight difference you are seeing.
Usually when looking at trailers, you will find a sticker on the left front corner with the bare trailer weight and axle weights. Another sticker will be found in a kitchen cabinet door with options added, awning, propane, etc. This is a more true weight. For actual weight, you have to get it weighed yourself.
As for brakes, basically anything over 2000 pounds will have brakes, and they won't advertise that. That would be like advertising seat belts in a car. You will need a brake controller wired in to your tow vehicle to actuate the trailer brakes. Almost all are electric brakes, and the controller will handle that.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, gazelle, palomino, weight