Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

No Brakes

So you may remember that in my last episode, my 2013 Columbus 320RS that was purchased in 12/12 and available to be picked up in 2/13 was brought to the dealer because I had no brakes. Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and they confirmed: A. there were no brakes B. there was a bad crimp connection in the junction box where the 7 way plugs is wired into the trailer C. there were bare wires that were shorting out on the front axle every time the brake pedal was pushed. (This explains why Ford had to replace my brake controller) In addition they found two wheel seals were completly blown out and there was grease all over the brake assembly, and when the brakes were applied, they never touched the brake drum, meaning they were never adjusted after they were installed at the factory (Lippert or Palimino). It was clear to the dealer the brake shoes have never touched the drums and there is absolutly no wear on them. (wheel seal failure was a result of a phneumatic grease gun at the factory either set too high in pressure or pumped too much grease into the wheel)
Note: I have less than 200 miles on this unit and what a disaster just waiting to happen.
Ya gotta love that Forest River/Palimino quality control!
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

I wouldn't blame Forest River. Those axles should be delivered ready to go.
Who made the axles?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.z View Post
So you may remember that in my last episode, my 2013 Columbus 320RS that was purchased in 12/12 and available to be picked up in 2/13 was brought to the dealer because I had no brakes. Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and they confirmed: A. there were no brakes B. there was a bad crimp connection in the junction box where the 7 way plugs is wired into the trailer C. there were bare wires that were shorting out on the front axle every time the brake pedal was pushed. (This explains why Ford had to replace my brake controller) In addition they found two wheel seals were completly blown out and there was grease all over the brake assembly, and when the brakes were applied, they never touched the brake drum, meaning they were never adjusted after they were installed at the factory (Lippert or Palimino). It was clear to the dealer the brake shoes have never touched the drums and there is absolutly no wear on them. (wheel seal failure was a result of a phneumatic grease gun at the factory either set too high in pressure or pumped too much grease into the wheel)
Note: I have less than 200 miles on this unit and what a disaster just waiting to happen.
Ya gotta love that Forest River/Palimino quality control!
I did not know that they had quality control at the manufacturers facility, it was surely taken out as a cost saving and passed on to the customer to find any faults and report them to the dealer who may then carry out the repair if the company agrees of course.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I wouldn't blame Forest River. Those axles should be delivered ready to go.
Who made the axles?
It is irrelevant if they are delivered 'ready to go' or not. It is the trailer manufacturers responsibility to ensure each and every subsystem is working correctly and within tolerances. When you purchase your truck, you'd never excuse bad brakes as being American Axles fault, or a bad engine on Cummins; it's Ram's responsibility to ensure their suppliers are up to snuff, and it is Palomino's as well. As simple as that.
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

Mr. Z; did you know the brakes where an issue when you picked up your trailer, or only after driving it? Was that something you inspected closely in the PDI?
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
LAY

Lippert makes the axels
LAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAY View Post
Lippert makes the axels
Just because Lippert made the axle means nothing. It is still the trailer manufacturers responsibility to make sure they work when installed. It is called Quality Control.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #8

When I first took the camper home I was concerned about the brakes but thought it was just me not being familiar with the unit in general. After a short local trip I was convinced there was something wrong, and I thought it was the new truck brake controller. Never thinking they would deliver a camper from Indiana to NC with no brakes. Ford dealer replaced the controller and we went on another short trip. Then I was convinced the brake problem was in the trailer.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
LAY

Wow SPIER617, you added nothing with your curt comment. Sorry but I'm NOT going to waste my time arguing. I respect your right to express yourself. Many people do not know Lippert manufactures the axels and brake assemblies. Several of us are having similar problems.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
Just because Lippert made the axle means nothing. It is still the trailer manufacturers responsibility to make sure they work when installed. It is called Quality Control.
So if that's true

Then tell me how come the axle got out of lippert's quality control before shipping to forest river?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
LAY

That's easy..... " STUFF JUST HAPPENS". Unfortunately the world is NOT perfect like some people expect.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
That's easy..... " STUFF JUST HAPPENS". Unfortunately the world is NOT perfect like some people expect.
I feel ya !
Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #13

I guess asking or waiting for an apoligy or explaination either public or private from Lippert, Forrest River or Palimino is asking too much, however, asking them to testify in a fatality could have been the outcome of this "lack of quality". Car and truck manufactures are held accountable for their products why not RV's, Campers etc?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I guess asking or waiting for an apoligy or explaination either public or private from Lippert, Forrest River or Palimino is asking too much, however, asking them to testify in a fatality could have been the outcome of this "lack of quality". Car and truck manufactures are held accountable for their products why not RV's, Campers etc?

PM sent .

TURBS
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Wow SPIER617, you added nothing with your curt comment. Sorry but I'm NOT going to waste my time arguing. I respect your right to express yourself. Many people do not know Lippert manufactures the axels and brake assemblies. Several of us are having similar problems.
LAY you are absolutely correct. That sounded very harsh and I apologize. Unfortunately what ended up being posted is not what I was trying to say.
Here is what I was trying to say: Lippert dropped the ball and so did Forest River. The quality control that both company have in place was not adhered to for this customer. Mr. z deserves to have the the unit repaired and made right as it should of been when he took delivery. Again I apologize.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
When I first took the camper home I was concerned about the brakes but thought it was just me not being familiar with the unit in general. After a short local trip I was convinced there was something wrong, and I thought it was the new truck brake controller. Never thinking they would deliver a camper from Indiana to NC with no brakes. Ford dealer replaced the controller and we went on another short trip. Then I was convinced the brake problem was in the trailer.
Me too I took to dealer they said good voltage at The brakes but I think they are not adjusted , so this weekend I will do it because they will be right

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote