Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

noisy refrigerator

I have a new 34reqs and the refrigerator is the worse I have ever seen. I have owned 2 jaycos and 1 forest river and I have never had one that the refrigerator runs almost constantly. The 12 volt fan they put in it sounds like a electric drill running. You can hear it in the bedroom with the door shut. I also took the cover off at the top where the ref. vent is, I guess for the fan and I noticed quite abite of moisture. Is this going to cause delamination??????
Duchie
duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchie
I have a new 34reqs and the refrigerator is the worse I have ever seen. I have owned 2 jaycos and 1 forest river and I have never had one that the refrigerator runs almost constantly. The 12 volt fan they put in it sounds like a electric drill running. You can hear it in the bedroom with the door shut. I also took the cover off at the top where the ref. vent is, I guess for the fan and I noticed quite abite of moisture. Is this going to cause delamination??????
Duchie
Seems if its noisy people have been taking fan out and installing computer fans.
Someone will chime in with a link from ebay to get them.
I think less than 20.00
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Replace the fan. I get them at a local computer store, around $13.00 or so. Just get one with ball bearings.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #4

You ever have a rv with a fan on refrig? I never have, sounds to me like it is a cheap product and they put fan in it to cover up the real problem.
And what about moisture in fan area,computor fan isnt going to fix that.
Also it takes 18 to 24 hours to cool down so you can put stuff in it.
All well maybe Forest River will put a cooler full of ice in it in case fan doesnt work
Duchie
Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The fan is there to help with efficiency. The coils don't always get the airflow they need, especially for people that open the refer door and and stand and look for 5 minutes thinking about what they want. Then there are the people that open the door, grab a drink, and leave the door open while they drink half of it. These refers aren't efficient, but they are light, and they work. Don't blame Forrest River, every RV maker uses them.
Now you can put in a "house" style refer, with compressor, and motor, and all the extra weight, but then you loose the option to operate on propane while traveling or dry camping, then you would need the cooler full of ice, and a place to get more ice.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #6

Is fan inside or behind unit?

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Chances are you Jayco had the same fridge as the FR unit. There are only 2 mfrgs of these fridges in RV's.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #8

Papa
Not sure other then the vent for it is in the top outside of tipout. All I know is that it runs on 12volts and it makes alot of noise, hard to go to sleep.
Thanks Papa
any help will be appreciated
Duchie
Old 05-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #9

I believe they put the fans in units like mine that don't have the usual chimney type venting. The fridge is in the slide out and has 2 plastic vents in the wall, probably inefficient air flow without them.
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

You can get a quiter fan, but you may have to pull refrig forward to replace it. The moisture would be my biggest concern. Where does that come from? I don't think this is a problem exclusive to FR. I'm betting that neither of your Jayco's had the refrig. in the slide out. No other way to vent it, no matter who the MFG. is.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #11

I have the same Fiver as you and we hardly hear the fan. Even with the door open it's very quiet. I would contact your dealership and see what they say. What you are describing is not right.......
2012 Sabre 34REQS
Unruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #12

Your correct,the ref.was not in the tip out. Iam going to put dealer on notice about moisture and keep close eye on it myself.delamanation is not good.
Thanks
Duchie
Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #13

The fan is mostly annoying during the night when you sleep because of the constant cycling on and off. To help this situation i installed a fan from a refrigerator ( the one that you have in the freezer compartment ) and now the built in fan does not start all the time and you can sleep at night. Have a look at my picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06620.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	14081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06621.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	14082  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #14

Looks like you do very good work. however your missing my point,why should someone who doesnt have your ability have to put up with this problem,when a company that makes tons of money stands by a chooses to ignore it because it might cost a few dollars to make a wrong a right.
And still you have the moisture problem---which be a bigger problem then the noise.

DELAMANATION
Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #15

Where is the moisture coming from? Where is your drain hose? Does it drain to the outside? Does it have the cap on the end with holes in it? I hope you get this fixed. You are right, we shouldn't have to do all these add ons to make it work correctly, but yours seems abnormally bad. Good luck with this situation. Let us know how it turns out.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchie View Post
Duchie
This was my solution...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ise-22616.html

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #17

Bob 213
Take the top vent off and there is a flimsy pc. of plywood across the opening. Behind that is the top of the refrig. and a silver pc. of foil and that foil and in that area is wet.
As for the drain hose for condensation it is there but I have never seen any water drip out of it yet ??????
Duchie
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Oddjobs

Just got a new Sabre 31CKTS yesterday and today the refrigerator strated making a load whining sound. Is that normal? Never heard a peep ot of my previous refer. in my motorhome. Any thoughts?
Oddjobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #19

Regarding the moisture, is the fridge drain hose sticking out through the vent cover? I am amazed how many are not.
Funny about the fan thing, as ours doesn't have one either, thankfully.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #20

My solution to the noisy fan was to take a $2 yard sale 12" box fan and set it on the shelf for the grill on the side of the trl. My shelf could set right below the frige vent on the side of the trl. I'd point the fan into the vent and set it on low. Once the box fan was on the fridge fan didn't come on again.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote