Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #101

When we ran on 20# propane tanks we went through $80 in propane a month in 15-20deg temps. If we ran on propane only we'd use up a 20# tank in 2 days or less.

I wouldn't be concerned with some light winter camping, your rig will be more than fine.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #102
Trailer Trash

Went through 20 pound tank in 3 nights when it was 40 at nite and set furnace to 63 degrees. In the morning, we turned off furnace and turned on fireplace. I am thinking next fall, sleep on couch and keep the fireplace on instead of furnace. I bought an elevated queen aerobed for fold out couch. Probably just as comfy to sleep on as a RV upgraded matress with a memory foam topper. The idea is why heat the entire RV to be warm in a bedroom? Now if you have more than 2 sleeping like Gypsy does then you have to heat the whole rig. But if it is just 2 people then just heat the living room. The fireplace does a very nice job of doing just that. Adding an electric blanket to beds would help also!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #103

We use a heated mattress pad ..... and a small ceramic heater. Keep the rig set to 55. It's a bit chilly in the am but warms quickly. Mind you this is during the fall. Not the winters of Missouri!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #104

We only run the furnace for about 1hr in the morning just to boost the temps until the sun comes out around 8-9am. When it's going to be below zero all day we leave the furnace set to 58degrees and it usually runs all day (with the fireplace, two 1500w electric/oil radiators, and one 900W ceramic heater). But it's been a couple of months since we've used one of the 20# tanks. At the rate we use propane we'll only have to fill the 250# once a year or so. NOW, if we had to pay for our electricity, we'd use the propane MUCH MUCH more, and when we bring the rig to Eelpout we'll have a bigger test.

Here's a question: how long does the battery last and does it run the furnace? If not what kind of generators do all you use, and how much does your genne run, and how much fuel do you go through? We, foolishly in my opinon, did not get the gennie installed as we bought off the dealer floor.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #105

So we have a new issue. My 10 year old son's chore of emptying the black tanks has led to both drain lines being frozen solid with black waste as he opted to leave the black valves open, and grey (thankfully) shut. All the way to the connection with the rig. Thankfully the valves still function so we're not too too bad off. It's supposed to be -30 tonight, so thawing is out. I'm not excited about cutting the line, but I may have to, as cutting the line and replacing it will be cheaper than running heat tape along the lenght of the sewer line.

Bah humbug, Jan 16th and our first ice dam in the sewer lines...We came so close to making it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #106

Bummer!!! It could be worse, I think. You could have been looking at a situation where the sewer line is plugged, no block or bleed valves and about 10psi on the line and in 98 degree weather. You probably would like to see some 98 degree weather about now. Anyway, hang in there and don't take it out on the 10 yr old son. LOL!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #107
Trailer Trash

Got access to a engine steam cleaner or other method of shooting steam onto the frozen line? This is used to thaw out frozen pipes, gutters, etc. Ice damn removal contractor for houses.

Just some ideas for ya. Stay warm as ya can. Temp is going downnnnn for a few days to way below zero in MN.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #108

Look forward to hearing your winter adventures. We're up in Winnipeg and are looking forward to camping in April, that's even early up here! Good luck and have fun.
Winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #109

So we have a major problem here. Our lala land existence in the world of free electricity is now over after a falling out with the property owner of this rv park. We must move the rig by Monday 21 January, we have a place to go and all but we cannot move. Literally we cannot move.

We elected to have the 6pt leveling system and that system has, according to LCI, a failed "rear sensor". That sensor is creating a persistent error code to appear on the control panel that makes it impossible to use the control panel. So the next course of action would be to manually retract the landing gear right? WRONG. To all 385bh owners / prospective owners, I challenge you to go manually retract your middle two jacks. There is actually NO way to reach those jacks with the tool provided. You literally cannot retract the middle jacks manually. So I spoke with LCI about this, and apart from agreeing that the design was lacking common sense, I have to connect a battery to each motor and retract each jack via that battery, OR just cut the things off with a cutting torch.

SO, lets recap, the roof leaks in half a dozen places, the microwave no longer works, the aft TV no longer works (wont connect/stay connected to our network), the fridge no longer works, AND it cannot be moved. The roadside assistance people came out, and tried to lift it high enough for me to get my truck under, but that failed and they left suggesting we hire a CRANE to lift it onto a flat bed.

At this point we're absolutely sure we've made the worst decision of our lives buying this thing. The only thing that could possible save this situation is the folks at Forest River doing something about this. If they do not, and I'll let you know if / what they do, my suggestion would be to STAY AWAY from these products, and consider highly suspect any product made by Forest River.

If ANYONE has any idea of how I can get this thing underway, PLEASE let me know. If I'm wrong about the middle jacks, PLEASE prove me wrong, I'd be the happiest man on earth. At the same time, if anyone know's where this "rear sensor" is for the LCI 6 way levelers let me know. It's -30 here, we're in a hotel not our home, and this is getting extremely tiresome.

We all desperately miss our Itasca Sunova 35J at this point. We never had a problem with our bus, but this thing?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #110

Right now we're not feeling so great about Forest River products, so we'll see how this shakes out, if Forest River does something for us we'll continue to be a Columbus owner, otherwise I'm torching this thing and moving on.