Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Got access to a engine steam cleaner or other method of shooting steam onto the frozen line? This is used to thaw out frozen pipes, gutters, etc. Ice damn removal contractor for houses.

Just some ideas for ya. Stay warm as ya can. Temp is going downnnnn for a few days to way below zero in MN.
Thanks for the tips, the line cleared with heated gray water, and is fine now, and to "ranchand": I believe in life you have control over that which you are willing to inspect. My son made a mistake, but I FAILED by not inspecting his work. So that was my fault. Henry (my son) just got a refresher on how to empty the tanks correctly.

- Sam

Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #112

We are currently planning on purchasing a 2013 Columbus 385BH.....and as I read concerns on this unit, I am wondering if I should go forward on the deal! We are trading our 2010 Blue Ridge 3704BH...maybe we should keep it! If you have advice for us on your 385BH, would appreciate a note. We will be full timing in this rig with our kids. Thanks for your time. Bill Quinn in Ocala, Florida

Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #113

I think we all need to keep things in perspective. The unit Gypsy is using was never designed for the conditions they are using the unit in.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #114

I have been following this thread for awhile and have hoped for better results. I am in Grand Rapids, just south of you of course. The next day or two will be brutally cold. Highs of -1 to -12. Lows of course will be considerably lower, -28 at its worst Monday night. This info is for those that are not from around here. Temps can change fast.

Sam, I hope you and your family the best through this winter. If I can help in any way, seriously, PM me.

Gregg
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #115

Yes, wishing you luck for the next few days, we are in for a ride. -50 windchills when we go to work at 5 on monday morning. Make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working, be safe.
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #116

We have been living in our 325RL since August 5 with no problems except a couple of minor things that were discovered the first week. So far we would rate our Columbus five stars out of five.l
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
I think we all need to keep things in perspective. The unit Gypsy is using was never designed for the conditions they are using the unit in.
Well, yes and no. This unit will sit on a lot at a dealership in the same conditions. When we purchased the unit Forest River said, with the exception of the windows, the unit would fare ok.

The unit itself we have no issues with, the layout/floorplan is the best in the industry. The day-to-day living in and with the unit has been supurb; However, the systems that have failed have done so regardless of the exterior weather. The roof leaking is due to faulty seals on the exterior flashing, and insufficient self leveling caulk. The Fridge has failed do to a faulty cooling unit requiring the entire unit to need to be replaced. The Dometic tech stated he didn't know how to get the fridge out without damaging the rig, and that if damage was done it wouldn't be his fault. So we waited until the rig could be brought to Bullyans. Dometic (corporate) said our weather had nothing to do with the failure. The failure of the landing gear/jacks is due to a faulty connection with the rear remote sensor which is buried under the enclosed bottom of the rig, making it functionally impossible to make a hasty field repair, and the apparent design fault of not being able to raise the middle two jacks without damage to the rig is not weather related either. The buttons on the microwave no longer work (not weather related), the aft TV wont stay connected to the network (not weather realted), I could go on. We DO have weather realted issues, but those are common, and we experienced those in all the other places we've lived in our various rigs.

In order to keep things in perspective you need perspective. I hope this has helped. By your logic, NOBODY who sees negative temps where this rig is being used/stored should not buy one. That's BS. As I have stated to Forest River during our copious communications as of late, the rigs are Very Good, but shy from being Great because of a few repetitive issues, and some basic design issues. So why not just make the leap from good to great? Why not make the rig we all see when we look at our columbus', not the one we may or may not have recieved.

Thank you for your comments and I/we value everyone's help and thoughts this winter, but be careful where you'd like to level blame in any given situation. The truth is always more complicated.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep camping View Post
Yes, wishing you luck for the next few days, we are in for a ride. -50 windchills when we go to work at 5 on monday morning. Make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working, be safe.
Thanks, and no kidding. I'm starting my nights rotation at the mine. We're pretty much shut down this week and just trying to keep the slurry lines from freezing/sanding. Good news is most of the guys work inside or in their mobile equipment. You know it's cold when the trucks only get about 30deg whith the heat full on!

Here's to hoping this is the coldest week of the year!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnwr3 View Post
We are currently planning on purchasing a 2013 Columbus 385BH.....and as I read concerns on this unit, I am wondering if I should go forward on the deal! We are trading our 2010 Blue Ridge 3704BH...maybe we should keep it! If you have advice for us on your 385BH, would appreciate a note. We will be full timing in this rig with our kids. Thanks for your time. Bill Quinn in Ocala, Florida

Bill, I'll PM you as well with my contact info. We've been fulltiming most of our lives, and the kids for all of theirs. (though we're cheating now with a hotel room, we took the skirting off the rig to move it, and I can't keep it above freezing with -50temps).

As far as a family home goes, this is excellent. I have never, and we've seen MANY $1million + custom rigs, seen a layout better suited to family use for this price anywhere. My kids are normal kids, 5, 6 and 10. They jump on beds, draw on walls, get spankings after jumping on beds and dawing on walls, normal kids. The interior of the rig has been AWESOME, and the exterior systems are mostly great.

However, in speaking with Forest River, I expressed that I feel like the rigs seem to leave the factory 80%-90% finished, and the consumer gets to finish off the rest. What that 10% is is a mystery for the consumer to find. BUT that being said, this will be true of ANY new rv. The frustering thing is that is seems that some of the most annoying issues, are repeat offenders.

The pros are that the rig is easy to clean, easy to move (our situation exempted), and easy to maintain. The systems are all electric so no worring about hydraulic systems, however as I have stated you may have issues with some of the emergency back ups. Just be sure you have a course of action for these. At this point I wish I knew more about electric motors and how to rewire them to an exterior power source. I do, however, konw alot about cutting this up, so that's my first choice.

Not to hijack your question, but Forest River has been very responsive to our issue, and that may/or may not speak volumes to how they react to customer issues. If this is solved in quick order, and Forest River is the company they advertise to be, then you can't ask for anyting better. But we'll see what Monday brings. We've had our dealership already order the sliding aluminum foot portion of the landing gear (the part that will fall out without the pin). We'll be jacking the rig up, cutting the feet off, and hauling it to the dealer. I do have an electrician coming by to see if he can wire teh motors to a car battery, but failing that, out comes the torch.

Again I'll PM you and we can chat on the telephone if you'd like. We do love our rig, and I'm pissed I'm in a hotel not in my cozy rig watching the snow. I would just take a minute at the dealer, and look at all the backup/emergency systems. If you're fulltiming, you have systems fail no matter what.

Hope this helps,

- Sam.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #120

I'll be out with our 385 today so ill take a look and see if I can come up with any ideas for the middle gear. The only thing that comes to mind right now is to extend the front and rear legs to take the weight off the middle ones enough to retract the drop leg portion. Depending on how far extended the electric part is that may be enough to make the camper mobile. Just an idea.