Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #121
Trailer Trash

Regarding the 6 way leveler and rear sensor issue.......instead of forcing or cutting, ask LCI or whoever makes this unit how to bypass the sensor or sensor fault. This would be done on the logic board I would guess and may be as simple as unplugging, resetting, or jumper wire to clear the fault.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #122
Trailer Trash

I would also ask owner of lala land for an extra week or two till weather warms up to move rv. Apologies forgiveness etc is in orderof course. I realize the pissed off level falling out situation and say f it cut losses. However, moving during -30 temp is crazy.

Im also convinced the older RV units are waaay less controlled by microelectronics. Not as nice or as fancy, but more reliable sometimes. Sales lady I had at Appliance Mart has sold home appliances for 30+ years. Display and logic boards in home apliances fail all the time nowadays. Not really an issue 10 years ago she said and I agreed with her.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchand
You exemplify "when the going gets tough, the tough get going" Hang in there. Glad to learn about the screen door. I saw a new model on a lot and noticed that the factory started putting on screen doors and I want one. Looked into it and the entire factory installed door has to be replaced with a new door/screen door and frame. Over $800. Too much for me! I agree with you--fit and finish could be a little better. The factory assembles these units in three days. And, I have spent a couple 100 degree days and the air conditioners run a lot! I installed a 12' awning over the dining room/living room slide windows. Looks like that will help knock off the sun and help with the cooling. Won't do much for -15 degrees! Big windows????
We use that aluminum bubble wrap cut to fit to cover windows under the blinds. It keeps the light out and really keeps our RV cool and does not look bad behind the blinds.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily
So we have a major problem here. Our lala land existence in the world of free electricity is now over after a falling out with the property owner of this rv park. We must move the rig by Monday 21 January, we have a place to go and all but we cannot move. Literally we cannot move.

We elected to have the 6pt leveling system and that system has, according to LCI, a failed "rear sensor". That sensor is creating a persistent error code to appear on the control panel that makes it impossible to use the control panel. So the next course of action would be to manually retract the landing gear right? WRONG. To all 385bh owners / prospective owners, I challenge you to go manually retract your middle two jacks. There is actually NO way to reach those jacks with the tool provided. You literally cannot retract the middle jacks manually. So I spoke with LCI about this, and apart from agreeing that the design was lacking common sense, I have to connect a battery to each motor and retract each jack via that battery, OR just cut the things off with a cutting torch.

SO, lets recap, the roof leaks in half a dozen places, the microwave no longer works, the aft TV no longer works (wont connect/stay connected to our network), the fridge no longer works, AND it cannot be moved. The roadside assistance people came out, and tried to lift it high enough for me to get my truck under, but that failed and they left suggesting we hire a CRANE to lift it onto a flat bed.

At this point we're absolutely sure we've made the worst decision of our lives buying this thing. The only thing that could possible save this situation is the folks at Forest River doing something about this. If they do not, and I'll let you know if / what they do, my suggestion would be to STAY AWAY from these products, and consider highly suspect any product made by Forest River.

If ANYONE has any idea of how I can get this thing underway, PLEASE let me know. If I'm wrong about the middle jacks, PLEASE prove me wrong, I'd be the happiest man on earth. At the same time, if anyone know's where this "rear sensor" is for the LCI 6 way levelers let me know. It's -30 here, we're in a hotel not our home, and this is getting extremely tiresome.

We all desperately miss our Itasca Sunova 35J at this point. We never had a problem with our bus, but this thing?
A lot of time disconnecting the battery for a period of time will reset the electronics. It may be due to extreme cold but unbolting jack could also be an option. Electric jacks can be disengaged by removing motor and hydraulic jacks can be released by bleeding the fluid in a worse case senerio. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily
We only run the furnace for about 1hr in the morning just to boost the temps until the sun comes out around 8-9am. When it's going to be below zero all day we leave the furnace set to 58degrees and it usually runs all day (with the fireplace, two 1500w electric/oil radiators, and one 900W ceramic heater). But it's been a couple of months since we've used one of the 20# tanks. At the rate we use propane we'll only have to fill the 250# once a year or so. NOW, if we had to pay for our electricity, we'd use the propane MUCH MUCH more, and when we bring the rig to Eelpout we'll have a bigger test.

Here's a question: how long does the battery last and does it run the furnace? If not what kind of generators do all you use, and how much does your genne run, and how much fuel do you go through? We, foolishly in my opinon, did not get the gennie installed as we bought off the dealer floor.

I have the Honda 6500ic it runs everything in my camper and runs 11 hrs on a tank of fuel. If only running 1 AC it will run about 15 hrs.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #126

Well so that's annoying, I just wrote this whole long post and my browser froze up...sigh.

Ok so Bottom Line Up Front, we got the rig out, and without cutting anything.

We had to leave the campground, I'm not going to get into why in this forum, but just to say, we had to leave immediately. We were not kicked out, quite the opposite, we just learned things that forced us to leave ASAP.

Ok so, today one of the tech's from LCI called and explained a simple way to retract the jacks to us non-electric types:

- Disconnect the two wires leading from each electric motor at each jack.
- Pull your vehicle around with jumper cables attached to your battery.
- Strip the wires back on the motors about 1" and attach the jumper cables to the stripped cables
- the motor should go either up or down, if you want to reverse the direction of the motor, reverse the jumper cables on the motor cables.

Easy? YES, but too late. We didn't do it this way.

We managed to heat the front landing gear enough so it would move, then spent about 2hrs jacking the landing gear up 2" so my F350 would fit under the front and dock. Which it did, and I litterally jumped for joy. Then we cranked it back down and lifted the feet into the jacks. As there is no descernable way to jack up the middle two feet, we took the tire jack out fo the F350 and jacked against the frame at each of the remaing electric jacks. This allowed us to relieve enough tension on the foot to pull the pin and push the foot back up into the jack. Middle and back doing this took about 2hrs. It would have been quicker but it was -55 with wind chill and I move slower in the cold.

At this moment the F350 blew a cooling line and I lost an injector (yep same time) now with coolant all over the ground the truck spuddered to a halt. I fired it back up, and now am the proud owner of a 2004 Ford F350 air cooled 6.0l V7 Powerstroke Even with only 7 cylanders firing it still managed to drag the 385 to Duluth.

To their credit both LCI and Forest River called all day Saturday and Sunday. Monday we got the rig to Bullyan's RV in Duluth, and, because they are awesome, it's in the shop now for a "few weeks" dealing with the jacks, leaking roof, fridge, etc.

What a drama.

The only horrible terrible thing to come from all this is that this little tiny hotel room is getting smaller by the minute we're probably going to have to, I can't even say it...move into a house.

Shame.

A house. With a foundation, and a roof, and it doesn't go anywhere. Ugh. Just sits there dumbly and can't move.

So I wanted to thank all of you for your words of support, for the tips, ideas, tricks. For all your PMs, Calls, emails. For those of you who challenged us, and supported us. Our journey is NOT over, even with this house thing. Though it looks like our winter is over in the rig, we'll be back in it in no time. And mabye now we can pull the ice castle out to where it belongs (on the ice!) and catch a 'pout or two!

Thanks again, and we'll continue this post as we learn more about what all went wrong with the camper, and what was done to fix the issues so we can all continue to learn something.

Thanks again,

Sam.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily View Post
Well so that's annoying, I just wrote this whole long post and my browser froze up...sigh.
There is no way you just said that!

I read your post and sorry things did not work out the way you wanted, but your coach is in for repairs and Forest River is backing you up. Good news for the most part.

Man, your browser froze up. Really I could not resist.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #128

Right?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #129
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Sorry to hear.you couldnt make it work. But it certainly wasnt for a lack of effort.
Best of luck Gypsy.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #130

Good try anyway, just that mother nature hit a little harder this year.

2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote