Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
Hats off to you Christopher Columbus, you have risen again above and beyond your needs, and to Forest River for coming to the rescue of this 385BH. Thanks Again, This is why a lot of us LOVE Forest River.
Oh yeah, "thanks".

Christopher, why don't you tell us what all you did to help me get the rig out when the jacks wouldn't work...

waiting...

waiting...

you did nothing.

So yeah, thanks for saving the day. You and your marketing staff are great! at what I don't know, but I'm sure you're great at something.

Keep up the good work!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #152
Trailer Trash

Hey Sam, welcome back to the nuthouse called FRF.

I have nicknamed the model 385BH (bunk house) the red headed stepchild of the Columbus line. Lots of them are plagued with quality problems! Major problems at that and those units also had to go back to factory for repairs as the mess is too big for dealers to handle.

The Columbus line ended up being waaaaay more popular and sells like hot cakes. 3 times more than the estimate Palomino first imagined. So they did what any greedy company in America does. Pump units out the door, collect the sales money, lower quality standards, let somebody fix it in the field. Pretty standard gig in the RV industry

Sure there are some good 385BH units out there. But it is the model that gets the complaints the most. It's gotten too big for it's britches is my own opinion. Too many slides, too long, and too much plumbing featuring two bathrooms. Just lots of stuff to go wrong.

Now to defend Palomino and Forest River, eventually the Columbus RV's get fixed. But it could take many months. The collateral damage of pissed off owners, ruined vacations, stressed families, etc. is also the norm for the RV industry I have learned over the last two years of being an RV owner.

Winter is just around the corner and your name came up recently on another website Sam. I know the group says hello and wishes the Gypsy Family well.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #153

yes... what he said... we have wondered how you and the family were Sam!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #154
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks for the update Sam, I was wondering what happened to you since March!!!
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #155

I feel your pain, but again, asking a pinto to act like a Ferrari is a bit much. Yes your old A class did well, but asking a NON 4 season trailer to do what you asked it to do and then not be happy is total bulls**t too.

FR and component manufacturer aside with the underlying quality or response issues, many on here have had great to excellent response on issues too. With some having full unit rebuilds required to walls etc.

A full 4 season type trailer at minimum was required, think arctic Fox etc. Putting a R-9 walled trialer in that environment, well....
Yes they are made cheaper than 15 yrs ago, because no one could afford it if they maintained standards and most of us know this.

If the salesman or rep told you it could handle the environment, research it, you know they are lying when they open their mouths!

Good luck with it, but don't lump all owners etc in same group. I challenge you to find another brand that does not have same or larger issues.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #156

I must respectfully agree with 5 hole. I grew up in MN, and understand harsh weather. When I started reading this thread (and admittedly only read maybe the first 10 pages), I was astonished that you'd try to overwinter on the Iron Range in an RV.

I do not think you should expect 4-season-in-MN performance from what you bought.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #157
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
I feel your pain, but again, asking a pinto to act like a Ferrari is a bit much. Yes your old A class did well, but asking a NON 4 season trailer to do what you asked it to do and then not be happy is total bullshit too.

FR and component manufacturer aside with the underlying quality or response issues, many on here have had great to excellent response on issues too. With some having full unit rebuilds required to walls etc.

A full 4 season type trailer at minimum was required, think arctic Fox etc. Putting a R-9 walled trialer in that environment, well....
Yes they are made cheaper than 15 yrs ago, because no one could afford it if they maintained standards and most of us know this.

If the salesman or rep told you it could handle the environment, research it, you know they are lying when they open their mouths!

Good luck with it, but don't lump all owners etc in same group. I challenge you to find another brand that does not have same or larger issues.
X2. There are better units out there but probably none that will quite hold up to those conditions. Artic Fox, from what I have heard, may be have a better chance, but I think would still come up short. There are 4 seasons and then there is Minnesota and the other northern plains states which has a 5th season called holy s*&t it's frickin cold.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #158

Any updates Gypsy Family? This is a very interesting story and would love to hear how things are turning out!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #159

Here is their last reply...not very happy campers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily View Post

Oh yeah, "thanks".

Christopher, why don't you tell us what all you did to help me get the rig out when the jacks wouldn't work...

waiting...

waiting...

you did nothing.

So yeah, thanks for saving the day. You and your marketing staff are great! at what I don't know, but I'm sure you're great at something.

Keep up the good work!
jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #160

4 season is relative and it's whatever the sales person at the dealership tells you. Columbus was a brand new model for Palomino when the gypsy family bought his RV. Nobody knew at that time how well a Columbus was going to do in sub zero weather. The Sabre line is very close to a Columbus model. Just not as nice on the inside. Would I try to use a Sabre during winter months in Wisconsin? NOPE!