Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #11

My Dad worked/lived a couple winters out in western North Dakota in a Terry tt. He's a plumber, so he skirted w/ insulation sheets, used bales, heat tape. Installed some electric baseboards etc. didn't have any problems, so it's doable! Besides NOAA is predicting above average temps for MN this year, that'll help a little. Keep us posted.

keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Trailer Trash

Although the Columbus units have a enclosed and heated underbelly and holding tank heaters..............My 320RS has little insulation. The R factor on these units is pretty low as they do not come with a winter package. R factory is on the specs of the 2013 brochure as I recall. Don't know if you can spec extra insulation on a new factory build. In late September nights got down to 38-45 degrees. Furnace was set at 63 degrees. Went through a 20lb tank in 3 nites. Only other thing using propane was water heater and I shut that off at nite.

Regarding the Ford 6.0 - I have a 2006. It's VERY well documented what goes wrong with these engines and what you have to do to bullet proof them.

Im in Buffalo MN so send me an email to [moderator edit / Please use PM system] for trading contact info. Love to come up and visit ya this winter.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #13

Welcome from south central Mn. This should be quite a winter for you. I would be interested in following your adventures. As a skiier, I am hoping for lots of snow. I would enjoy seeing a picture of your place this winter with piles of snow around your foundation. Have fun..and good luck!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #14

I have been in the underbelly of my 325rk. It has 4" of fiberglass insulation on the very bottom then the underbelly area then the foam insulation against the floor. 1500 watt electric heater kept us comfortable at 38 degrees in the mountains.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Factory Rep

Insulation in the floor.
Block foam in main floor you walk on.
2 layers of spun Fiberglas insulation in underbelly
Bubble / alum foil insulation below
Heater from furnace vents into basement
Electric heater pad on each tank in basement
Chris
Old 10-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #16

[QUOTE=joelek;266365]

Regarding the Ford 6.0 - I have a 2006. It's VERY well documented what goes wrong with these engines and what you have to do to bullet proof them.
QUOTE]

Yeah I know, we found a 2004 F350 DRW Crew Cab with 82000 miles that has lived a garaged life and only towed an amateur race car team around. $18,000 couldn't pass that up. I'm fortunate enough to have a master mechanic as my co-worker and drinking buddy, so I'm in a good place. Plus I grew up with Land Rovers, so I don't care how bad the 6.0 gets, it cannot be more of a maintenance hog than a Landie. I'm also fortunate enough to have the time/resources to throw into this truck. So we're willing to gamble a bit on the beast. If it fails, we can re-address with a newer F350 with the 6.7, but I think this truck will outlast me.

I'll email you tonight while I'm suppoesd to be "working" .
Old 10-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
Insulation in the floor.
Block foam in main floor you walk on.
2 layers of spun Fiberglas insulation in underbelly
Bubble / alum foil insulation below
Heater from furnace vents into basement
Electric heater pad on each tank in basement
Chris
As always thanks Chris. Compared to the Itasca, the 385 is going to be significantly warmer.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Trailer Trash

I gambled on my 6.0 also and bought a 2 year 12K mile warranty with the truck. Poor guys are WAY upside down on the warranty repairs - aka I am way ahead. Truck runs very well now!

I saw the new Ice Castles at Milaca Unclaimed Freight a few weeks ago. Those rigs are the ultimate man cave on ice.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
Factory Rep

Gypsy Family
I hope you ordered the dual pane windows They will help you so much in the very cold cold days you may encounter.
Chris
Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
Gypsy Family
I hope you ordered the dual pane windows They will help you so much in the very cold cold days you may encounter.
Chris
We bought it off the lot vice ordering it so we get what we get, and I don't think we have the dual pane windows (not on the spec sheet). Odd given it's coming from a dealer in Duluth, but I think we can make due without, we've never had dual paned windows before (never been to -35 before though). I understand it would be probably quite expensive, but could dual pane windows be added in the future if we find we're loosing too much heat/AC to the windows?

Also is there any consideration we should give to building up ice on the slide tracks?

Thanks in advance.