Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #31
Trailer Trash

If you look at the factory brochure for 2012 Columbus models, zoom in on page 3 of the pdf file. You can see the shower floor drain track is installed backwards so water would drain onto floor. The oval holes allow water to drain into the shower and the outside rail towards toilet is solid when installed correctly.

I never run out of hot water when on propane. I must be using 10 gallons per shower cause 4 showers and gray tank is full. !0 gallon water heater. Guess I got it timed right. LOL

Remember to open the glass doors and use latch hook when you move the RV. I forgot to do the bedroom closet doors floor pin latches. Woops! No damage thankfully.

Who is your dealer by the way. We all want to know about the good ones.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
I also noticed the bathroom door swings open way too easy and the door handle crashes into the closet door.
I found that during the summer the bathroom got way too hot........... figuring it will get way cold in the winter. We leave our door open. I found that cast iron handle pot holders fit the handle perfectly and no scratches to either door!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #33
Trailer Trash

I used dark brown felt furniture pads that have adhesive tape to keep doors from marring up what they crash into. Bathroom door, bathroom vanity doors, kitchen cabinets. The round dots fit perfectly on the bathrrom door handle center pivot area. Dark brown color blended in with dark cherry wood finish. Menards had them.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #34

Our dealer is Bullyan RV in Duluth. I have bought two RV's through them (this one and a fish house). They are excellent, and currently working on a mobile RV repair service. Once they have that worked out, they'll be close to the perfect operation. We met with our tech on Tuesday (to my horror, I forgot his name) and he spent hours with us. He clearly had no pressure to work on anything else, and just took all the time in the world getting us up and running. This extends to our salesman (Andy), finance guru (Duey), and the owner (Joe) who drove 1.5 hrs to look at our bus so we wouldn't have to break camp to get it evaluated.

RV Dealer in Minnesota | The Best RV Sales in Duluth Minnesota

I'd drive back here from Colorado to do business with them in the future.

Caulked the shower and it's all fine, cost me $1.47. So far that's the worst thing I'm happy. The little drain holes are on the right side, there is just no sealant between the metal track and the plastic tub.

It's funny the Columbus brochure shows the wrong install, but at least they're consistent! This is what happens when Americans stop wanting to work for a living. I manage an iron mine and we pay six figures for guys to drive trucks just to get and keep the best people, I can't imagine what Forrest River has to go through to find good manufacturing labor. Given the drought of good labor for factory jobs all over the mid-west, I'd say the quality control on these things is EXCELLENT.

If we want better products made in this country we need to push the "millennial" generation to move away from the play station, move out of the house, and get to work.

Sorry, I'll get off my pulpit.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #35

Thanks for the tips on what crashes around when this thing moves. We really are not looking forward to moving. There is so much more storage inside, and she is busily filling all of it up. Moving will be a challenge.

We've noticed that many of the handles on doors/cabinets open into other doors or hit metal on wood. I'd like to say those could be designed better, but I'll save my critique until I've had a chance to see what the design mentality was.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #36
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily View Post
I can't imagine what Forrest River has to go through to find good manufacturing labor. Given the drought of good labor for factory jobs all over the mid-west, I'd say the quality control on these things is EXCELLENT.

If we want better products made in this country we need to push the "millennial" generation to move away from the play station, move out of the house, and get to work.

Sorry, I'll get off my pulpit.
Sam, same problem at my work. We can't find good factory workers either that are Gen X kids. Sooo average age were I work is 49 years old. We have nicknamed our place the CRS club and tease about getting old. CRS = can't remember squat.

Using your Columbus in the winter will reveal new problems I'm sure I wonder about delamination, cracking, etc on the wood laminates, flooring, wall finish, etc. I guess if she stays warm all the time, this would be a non issue.

I had a tradition of going to the boat show in middle of winter at Mpls convention center. After the show, I did a road trip to my boat that was in winter storage covered outside. Clear snow off cover, crack open a beer, and give boat a hug and say, see ya in a couple more months. Gonna have to do that with my Columbus now. First snow is going to happen today in Alexandria and parts of metro area.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #37

So, snow. Christopher Columbus, or anyone else, how much snow/ice can build up on the slides? Anyone have any idea what the snow load of these things are?

Apart from that, 20kt winds at 35 degrees and snow, we had the fireplace and 2 small eletric (both at 7amps) and the interior temp was 72 degrees.

We still have to put the remainder of the hay in, but the rig so far is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	552408_4871603913147_632393056_n.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	21045  
Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #38
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Welcome to the forum GypsyFamily! What options did your new Columbus come with?
2011 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel King Ranch
2011 Rockwood Roo 21RS
2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #39

- Voyager Package
- 2nd AC in Bedroom
- Roto Flex Pin Box
- 6-way levelers (which is really a 4 way with 2 stabilizers. The middle two only come down when the front/rear four have leveled the coach).
- 4 door fridge
- Booth Dinette
- Standard Issue Leaking Shower

Pretty standard. Spent yesterday putting plastic over most of the windows as we don't have the double paned glass. It seemed to work well. Last night it was 19 degrees F, and when we woke up it was 59 degrees F in the coach with just the fireplace heater and the heater in the kids room running. Including the fireplace we run a total of 4 1500w electic heaters (our power is free) and usually have it around 72deg F in the coach.

We also run a de-humidifier to control condensation and thusly our arch enemy mold.

We're very much used to the vast limitations of a 120V / 30A system, this whole 240V / 50A world is amazing! So much electricity!!

Starting Thursday we put into place the hay from the round bale a friend gave us. Then we should be good to go.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #40

Direct TV

Excuse me if this is already a posted thread. We had Direct TV out today to install a Slimline dish on a post outside of our site so we could get HD programming. They installed the dish no problem, but said that there was no way for the slimline to connect to the rig. Obviously the ouside connection is ok, but he told my wife (as I wasn't there) that inside the bus, there is a splitter that will not accept a slimline dish, or any direct tv dishes. Furhter he stated that the system was installed incorrectly.

Christopher Columbus can a 385BH accept the input from an externally mounted Direct TV Slimline antenna?

Does anyone else have experience with these? Is my option really $300-$1000 for a portable NON-HD dish, or $1600+ or a hard mounted one if I want to watch sat tv?