Old 10-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily
Excuse me if this is already a posted thread. We had Direct TV out today to install a Slimline dish on a post outside of our site so we could get HD programming. They installed the dish no problem, but said that there was no way for the slimline to connect to the rig. Obviously the ouside connection is ok, but he told my wife (as I wasn't there) that inside the bus, there is a splitter that will not accept a slimline dish, or any direct tv dishes. Furhter he stated that the system was installed incorrectly.

Christopher Columbus can a 385BH accept the input from an externally mounted Direct TV Slimline antenna?

Does anyone else have experience with these? Is my option really $300-$1000 for a portable NON-HD dish, or $1600+ or a hard mounted one if I want to watch sat tv?
On my 325rl, the cable line was installed incorrectly also. It was the way the splitter was installed. I am experienced in sat and cable tv installation. What I did was to install a coax switch in the basement to switch from sat to cable and installed the splitter for my direct tV swr in the living room. This enabled me to use the same cabling for sat as I use for cable.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #42

Quote:
Excuse me if this is already a posted thread. We had Direct TV out today to install a Slimline dish on a post outside of our site so we could get HD programming. They installed the dish no problem, but said that there was no way for the slimline to connect to the rig. Obviously the ouside connection is ok, but he told my wife (as I wasn't there) that inside the bus, there is a splitter that will not accept a slimline dish, or any direct tv dishes. Furhter he stated that the system was installed incorrectly.

Christopher Columbus can a 385BH accept the input from an externally mounted Direct TV Slimline antenna?

Does anyone else have experience with these? Is my option really $300-$1000 for a portable NON-HD dish, or $1600+ or a hard mounted one if I want to watch sat tv?
I should add that I am using the single wire slimline dish.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #43

try putting moth balls or fabric softener sheets in the ends and sides of the bales. That might help with the mice as both are repellents.
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #44

Quote:

We have the direct to slimline. It does directly to the living room. The bedroom feed is in through the window to a separate receiver. If you have hd programming at home the portables will NOT work.

I have not figured out how to get the signal through the RV for the bedroom. The basement does not even have a cable to it ..... Mute point for that outlet. Still looking into that.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #45

On my columbus 325rl the splitter for tv was behind the external cable tv input in the storage bay. I placed the direct tv splitter there and connected the cables from the living room and bedroom at that location. I also ran a cable to the outside tv connector that is next to the outside radio. Hope that helps. If it doesn't send a private message with email address and I will send a diagram with pictures when I get back to Florida the end of this week

Patrick
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #46
Trailer Trash

Outside connection to dish and cable tv are in the water panel. This lets you run coax up through bottom of RV like the water hose.

I have not tried mine as I am too damn cheap to pay to watch tv on a weekend. I get 20+ channels on free antenna tv. Then DVD's are a dime a dozen. People I know share an all you can eat netflix account.

You full time RV guys would be a different story. IF I was living out of the RV, satellite TV would be nice.

Cable and Dish hookup picture below. There are two flip up covers one for dish and one for cable. Look to the upper right of shower head. The rectangle box above that is a 120VAC outlet as I recall. In all the conversation about Columbus models, very little on t his forum about the electrical features in this water panel. May even be a light on the top of the panel. I'm getting too old to remember and now it's winter for me so I can't check to confirm for you guys.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #47

Chris, I've been trying to answer your PM to me, but your PM center is full and won't accept my answer.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #48

Frozen Lines

For those still reading this, I figured I'd continue until I see few or no new hits to the thread.
Last night we saw 13deg F, with around 0deg F at wind chill (and a high today of 22deg F), and we froze the aft end of the coach's water lines . So we had water to the W/D, Shower, Master bath sink and toilet, but no water to the kitchen sink, or rear bath.
This happened partially by design as I wanted to see what would fail before the actually cold weather comes.
We have 1" extruded polystyrene surrounding the coach between the actual hull of the 5th wheel (ie not the slides) and the ground. Up against this we have hay piled, but as another posted, I am increasingly worried about rodents infesting the hay, then moving into the coach. In the "basement" (or fort, depending on if you're 9 years old or not) I have 2x 120w landscaping lights and 1x 500w halogen work light for heat.
We thawed the frozen sections of the lines using our old faithful water line de-freezing propane heater, and noticed no damage nor any sing or leaking water from any kind of bursts. We have noticed that the hot and cold low point drains that extrude from the bottom of the hull are definitely a serious failure point. Our freeze began here, and moved up the line. We will be insulating these and possibly heat taping them if Palomino believes this will cause no damage to the lines, insulation, or bottom material.
We will probably be adding Tyvek house wrap over the extruded poly to kill the wind and close up gaps, then deleting the hay (with the exception of the hay that covers the dump lines which are incased in extruded poly and covered in hay.
I am still wary of letting the faucets drip as I still believe this may cause an ice dam in the drain hose/aft dump valve and seal off the rear line, and further may cause a backup in the coach.
In an unrelated note, why is the forward grey tank labeled "galley tank" when it isn't connected to the galley? This caused me some confusion, also why are the tanks not just simply labeled BLACK 1/GREY 2 like they are on the level indicator board? Finally does anyone know the exact capacities of each tank? The coach's instruction manual is useless, and honestly can just be discarded.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #49

Hope you keep posting all winter. I wonder if a person wired just the furnace fan to the thermostat to keep the belly warm????????
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #50

Actually, speaking of the furnace, this was an idea we've been tossing around, but haven't tried yet. Wondering what you all think.

We were going to duct the furnace vent gas under the rig. We'd put in place a more robust CO detection system, but I think by proxy of running the furnace we could recapture the combustion gasses and provide some heat to the underbelly. Not IN the underbelly, but just to our "basement". I'm sure this is a bad idea, but I'm equally sure someone has tried it and not lost too many brain cells.

Has anyone ever tried such a thing? I'm sure CO would be a concern, but what else?