Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #81
Trailer Trash

My plan down the road is two RVs. One north, one south. Two Rvs is still less money than one house. When you're retired, who wants to maintain a house! Two Columbus rigs - My idea of a double wide.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #82

With reference to previous posts about using a semi to tow a trailer, I've seen semi's set up for towing RV's, but some seem to be a little more than needed for the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Rig Big Bend NP TX.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	22246  

Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
With reference to previous posts about using a semi to tow a trailer, I've seen semi's set up for towing RV's, but some seem to be a little more than needed for the trailer.
Ya, but wouldn't a "Columbus" look good behing that!!!
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
Ya, but wouldn't a "Columbus" look good behing that!!!
That looks exactly what my 2500 Silverado wants to be when it grows up!!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #85

I was kinda hoping to wake up one morning andmy SuperDuty changed into one of those............
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
Gypsy- we had about 10-12" of snow in south central Mn. Looks like most of it went south of you. Did you get much? How is this cold stretch going for you?

We got about 3", mostly just cold. Around -7 to -10. No problems yet. Down to two heaters at night to save on electric bill for the park owner. Cabin usually dips to 48deg F during the night at -7 outside.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
We are thinking about purchasing one of these units. The main reason was, we thought it was a four season coach. Am I wrong about this?
Hey,

To piggy back on what joelek said, up here things get REALLY cold, and most folks just buck up and move into a house for the winter. For a whole host of reasons that's just not pratical for us right now.

Sooo, yes. In our old rig (Class A MH) we used to see temps down to 0deg F and never took any measures other than to drip the water at night. With this rig at these temps (0deg F to -30deg F) more precautions need to be taken. For one thing we need to run an electric heater 24/7 UNDER the rig to keep the aft end plumbing from freezing. the Front end never has issues, but the back end will freeze in a hartbeat. It will also form an ice dam and overflow VERY quickly (within 3 hrs) if you leave the sink in the aft head to drip. This has happened to us twice. Both times we caught it and saved the day, but what a mess. This is due to the aft dump station valves being exposed to the weather, not insulated within the rig like the forward ones are.

I would say these are very very definitely 4 season rigs, you just have to take some time to manage your expectations for the winter season if you're going to be in sub zero weather for any extended amount of time.

Also you just need to give up on the 20# propane tanks if you're going to stay a while you'll need a pig. We use a 250# tank provided and filled by Como, but if you're going to camp for a week or more, you'll need more propane (or be prepared to deal with a $500+ electric bill). If we paid for our power our bill it would be around $1300/month (which is why we're backing off some of the consumption and using more propane). Keep in mind we're pulling 1 50 amp service, 1 30 amp service, heat tape, ground heater, three block heaters and one heated cargo trailer (15A). We use two whole power poles.

I would say if you want a TRUE 5 season rig capable of easily handling -30+ temps you should look at the RV versions of my Ice Castle. http://icecastlefh.com/ I've not run the propane heat in there once, and all there is to heat it is a small 900watt electric heater. Stays about 65deg F. With NO heat it says about 50!!

- Sam.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #88

Wow Sam --- hats off to you and your family!!!! No matter the circumstances!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #89

Fridge Broken

So, in the latest development our Dometic RM1350 Fridge is broken. The entire cooling unit needs to be replaced. Lucky that it's plenty cold out here so keeping things cold is not an issue, but what a pain in the ass. We need to have it removed which will have to be done at the dealer, and as we're pretty much entrenched here, that will not be done until March. So no fridge until March. I have nothing nice to say about Dometic, their customer service, or their local contractor Yuhalla, Brothers.

I however have GLOWING things to say about Norcold, their products, service, etc. So the jacks are still broken, and we will need to manually retract each one to get this thing to the dealer. The fridge is busted... I'm still a fan of the Columbus, but I have to say, my Itasca Sunova 35J saw this weather and more and did better.

Your stock is going down Forest River...and it hasn't even gotten cold here yet.

I'm beginning to see a 3 season, non-fulltime rated coach here. I could go on, but this will begin to sound like the typical forum bitch session.

Yours,

Sam.

Oh, the Ice Castle is rocking along like a champ. Still just one 900watt electric heater and it's currently 77deg F in there. We spend most of our time in the Ice Castle. With it's Norcold Fridge...

Over to you Forest River...
Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #90
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily View Post
I'm beginning to see a 3 season, non-fulltime rated coach here.
That is how I view my Columbus 320RS. I use mine only on weekends and the occasional 1 or 2 week long summer vacation. Absolutely no use during winter season. R factor in walls, floor, ceiling is too low. The Columbus models do not have Nordic or Winter package options available. Compare R factor specs on other brands and you will be enlightened.

I'm also convinced that the 36' and longer new lightweight 5th wheels flex quite a bit during traveling. This flexing causes eventual problems with plumbing leaks, wiring connections coming loose, screw/nail/staple fasteners coming loose, tweaked frames, slides no longer working properly, water leaks, etc.