Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Rugged Brown, well stated and very true.

2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Agree, well said by all. Like many we still love the look and feel of our new Sabre, however like many posts I have seen we also have had numerous small issues. As well we have a significant issue with the fit and finish of our roof which I posted on in May. To be fair both our dealer bluenose Rv and warranty Manager Gary who was engaged by Sabre Sam ( best part of FR service so far has been the online assistance offered by Sam) have acknowledged in writing the roof and other issues and have committed to address at the end of the season in october. I'm am hopeful the issues will all be addressed and we will have many happy camping years with our Sabre.

However as stated well here I truly believe it would take only a few more hrs in quality control and proper assembly and most issues would have not occurred. A very small percentage increase in assembly cost would increase customer sat multiple times...seems like a no brainer! While certainly I have seen some posts that may possibly be too negative to forest river, I also see way too many post defending this poor quality control, reasonable threads like this are great and I trust Sabre Sam will pass on for future improvements as well as keeping collective pressure on FR to fully honor the warrenties or beyond to correct what appears to be some poor quality model yrs.
We may have just been lucky, but never had as many issues in 8 yrs of ownership with our first TT as we have had in one with Sabre.

ns-sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
We share a lot of what you are experiencing and saying. We love our 32RCTS Sabre floorplan but are dispapoointed witgh each newly discovered defect. We wonder why so many of our issues were not corrected at the factory or better yet prevented in the first place by a better mfg process.

We've toured several RV mfg facilities and the one thing we noticed in common with all of them was how fast the units moved through the line. Maybe they need to slow down a bit (We call it "Go slow to go fast")

I work for a very large global manufacturing co and we learned many years ago that you cannot aqchive high quality performance by inspection. You control quality by eliminating manufacturing (& design) defects at the time of production (or development) through systematic &
continuous process improvement. I guess Palomino RV (& others too) have not yet figured that out.
Cathy & Jeff
Midland, Michigan
2013 Sabre 32RCTS / 2012 Ram2500 Hemi
Nights Camped: 2015-140; 2016-137 YTD; 160 Planned
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
They'll learn when the RV's imported from China start rolling in.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
One of the biggest problem we have seen is that someone from Forest River knows about a problem and then chooses not to correct it until we bring it up. Example would be when we left our RV in Goshen for the repairs they wanted to do. Whatever they used to move it from the lot to the bay, damaged ur capture plate severely. At that point they knew about the damage and instead of doing what was right, they chose to take it off and throw it in the storage compartment. The work was completed and the transport brought it back home to Wisconsin. When he dropped it off, I asked where the plate was and we found it underneath. This was on Friday before the Labor Da weekend. We then had to contact them to tell them of the damage. Yes, they agreed to pay for the part, which we are still waiting for the check, but we had the inconvenience of not being able to move it for a week.

All could have been avoided as the part manufacturer is right there in Elkhart Indiana!

Understand that mistakes do happen, but so many can be avoided for the customer to find if the staff was just a little proactive. They have to know that you are not just going to say "oh we'll" on a $200 part and not be upset.
2013 Sabre 34 RLQS
2010 Ford F250 diesel

FRF & FROG member
Rallies 12 & 13, Cherry Blossom 13, Branson 13... More to come!
CheezPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
[QUOTE=Rugged Brown;253668]I think most people get confused with the factory responsibility, a PDI and a systems familiarization by the customer. These expensive units should come off the assemby line with all systems go, meaning that everything works and all construction completed to some quality standards. A PDI should be completed by a dealer before the unit is sold to ensure the factory did their job. It is also understood that transportation of units may cause some minor issues. The customer familiarization and inspection should only be intended to familiarize the customer with how the systems function and any questions a customer may have about functionality. It annoys me to no end that a large portion of responsibility is placed on a customer to inspect, test and correct factory mistakes or poor quality. It is also understood that some systems may malfunction after delivery. This is where a warranty kicks in. Having said all that, and reading hundreds of posts about problems with new units, it is my belief that most issue are related to poor quality control and workmanship at the assembly line. I also believe that this is not unique to Forest River. I think it is an industry wide problem that exists because consumers do not demand quality.
nuff said.

Rotorhead102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
john I
Ya i hear you all I am on my 6th camper now and 3rd 5th wheel and i am always amazed on the problems we encounter with them when we leave the lot. Quality control is out the window today,and no camper is immuned from this, from the low end to the high end. My friends and I sit around the camp fire and tell our war stores with all the campers we have owned,we always say we never know what will fine when we open the door ,water line brakets snaped,door handles that do not latch,that mysterious screw on the floor,draw slides that don't slide and always a leak that you can't get at with out tearing into half the camper. Oh well the best advice I can give is to shake them down hard on the frist year so these and all the problems shake out during the warrantee,and then learn to be a fix it man.
John I
2012 Columbus 365RL
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 cummins
1963 5'2" wife Sheri
johnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Originally Posted by wincrasher
They'll learn when the RV's imported from China start rolling in.
I was coming back from Ohio to Mo and a nice person pulled me over and told me my roof skin was flapping.I called the dealer and left a message that I was leaving my Rv in their lot. They called Last Monday saying they would get it taken care of since it was only about 4 months old.
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Cuttinchief View Post
I was coming back from Ohio to Mo and a nice person pulled me over and told me my roof skin was flapping.I called the dealer and left a message that I was leaving my Rv in their lot. They called Last Monday saying they would get it taken care of since it was only about 4 months old.
Wow! Cuttinchief, you must have been really bummed, sorry to hear about this. Were you able to to get up on the roof to see where or how it started?

Joel & Bec Native Texans
2012 F350 KR dually 6.7 PS diesel, factory 5th wheel prep, Hensley Trailer saver BD3 hitch. Extang Encore tunno cover.
2013 Palomino Columbus 320rs adds: 6 way auto level, fantastic fan, bedroom ac, slide awnings, trump mattress.
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote