Old 07-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

Not a happy camper!!

This is our first trip in our 2013 Columbus 320rs. The problems keep coming..... The bedroom AC sounds like a jet plane when the compressor kicks in. The water heater cold water hose leaked and FILLED the undercarriage of the camper so now all the insulation is soaked!!!! The cable wiring was WRONG!!!! The kitchen sink drain leaked and soaked the floor and under the cabinet. We LOVE the layout and really liked the 5th wheel.... But if everytime we camp I have to spend this much

Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

So sorry to hear about these issues. I have to wonder about before and during the PDI and why all this went unnoticed or unfixed by your service team. I can understand about the cable wiring but there should had been signs of the other issues before your arrival for pick up.

Recommend getting it back to service to get it fixed right away. They should be able to open up areas and taking care of the soaked insulation.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
The Bedroom AC issue is a known problem and it's actually a Dometic issue, not Forest River. But...your local dealer should be able to help you with it. They installed a grommet "fix" kit on ours and that quietened it down considerably, but not enough to please the service manager so he is working with Dometic to get a replacement AC.

We too had the cable/satellite wiring done incorrectly - and again, the dealer handled getting it fixed. The problem lies in the screw-on connectors. Forest River acknowledges they need to be replaced with CRIMP style connectors.

As for the water leaks - fortunately I haven't encountered any of those problems. In fact, the bedroom AC noise issue, cable/satellite wiring issue and a couple of more very minor issues (no key to the front storage, bent rail on bedroom door, doorknob issue on bathroom) is all we've had go wrong in 30 nights of camping so far - and our local dealer has been very quick to get repairs done in every case.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

A mistake people often make is rushing through the PDI. The last three RVs I bought the wife and I used a checklist that I downloaded from the internet. You should always schedule the PDI for first thing in the morning and allow enough time for the PDI to where you feel comfortable that the RV is ready to be used. If the PDI last all day, so what, one dealer bought us lunch during the PDI. One motorhome I bought the wife and I spent the night in the coach before we would agree to the PDI. Don't think about imposing on the dealership, it's your money and if you leave the lot happy the dealer will also be happy. It's always best to be a happy camper!

RV Inspection Checklist
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #5

good point, Jayhawk! We were both naive and lucky with our first 5er. We will be more careful this time when we take delivery. Thanks for the checklist.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #6

When we picked up our Columbus the dealer scheduled us for noon (after lunch) and we got done ~ 5:00. They were very patient and covered EVERYTHING!! Then we stayed on the lot for 2 nights. Could have stayed longer but we were comfortable with leaving. As with any unit there is a learning curve!!! So our dealer, service dept and the walk through tech is in our cell phone. We have only had to call once for an issue!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Trailer Trash

The dealer should preform their own setup and repair of items from factory/delivery to dealer before a customer goes through their PDI. When you get reports of things going bad during and/or just after the PDI I would encourage users of this forum to ALSO include info on the dealer they bought it from.

Allydaven - who is ypur dealer and did the dealer follow up and make things right for you or did the dealer's service dept fall on their face? Owner of Columbus camper want to know about problems that arise. We also want to know about good and bad dealers.

And you know dang well that Forest River, Columbus, and plenty of dealers troll on this forum board. They may not post here, but they are on here reading.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Agreed that the PDI should catch most of the problems. We bought our new 2013 Sabre from Collier in Rockford Illinois. They "briefly" went through it with us, we asked some questions that we could think of, and off we went. Wished we would have had that checklist when we picked it up!

By the time we got back to home in Wisconsin and opened the RV, we had a light hanging by the wires and swinging away. Tried to tighten it back up and found that there was nothing in the ceiling to screw it too. Think that Collier might have known that when they got it in? Would think it had done the same for them?

Very disappointed - first that our RV left the Sabre plant in the condition it was in (so many problems that they had to take it back, keep it for 2 weeks to get them all done) but knowing that most of the issues could have been caught by the dealer and weren't even paid attention too, is just frustrating.

We bought the RV in May and had it back multiple times over the summer. Now we just called again this week and the service manager Jerry acted like he didn't even know who we were! Funny, I guess they must get so many back that they lose track of who is who????

Keep at them. I hate doing this as it makes you feel like you are the bad guy, but you've bought too large of an investment not to make sure that it gets taken care of.

I believe that Forest River has a great product, but someone really needs to take note of the problems that are leaving the factory and get them taken care of BEFORE they escalate to the customer.

FRF & FROG member
Rallies 12 & 13, Cherry Blossom 13, Branson 13... More to come!
CheezPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #9

I think most people get confused with the factory responsibility, a PDI and a systems familiarization by the customer. These expensive units should come off the assemby line with all systems go, meaning that everything works and all construction completed to some quality standards. A PDI should be completed by a dealer before the unit is sold to ensure the factory did their job. It is also understood that transportation of units may cause some minor issues. The customer familiarization and inspection should only be intended to familiarize the customer with how the systems function and any questions a customer may have about functionality. It annoys me to no end that a large portion of responsibility is placed on a customer to inspect, test and correct factory mistakes or poor quality. It is also understood that some systems may malfunction after delivery. This is where a warranty kicks in. Having said all that, and reading hundreds of posts about problems with new units, it is my belief that most issue are related to poor quality control and workmanship at the assembly line. I also believe that this is not unique to Forest River. I think it is an industry wide problem that exists because consumers do not demand quality.
nuff said
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown
I think most people get confused with the factory responsibility, a PDI and a systems familiarization by the customer. These expensive units should come off the assemby line with all systems go, meaning that everything works and all construction completed to some quality standards. A PDI should be completed by a dealer before the unit is sold to ensure the factory did their job. It is also understood that transportation of units may cause some minor issues. The customer familiarization and inspection should only be intended to familiarize the customer with how the systems function and any questions a customer may have about functionality. It annoys me to no end that a large portion of responsibility is placed on a customer to inspect, test and correct factory mistakes or poor quality. It is also understood that some systems may malfunction after delivery. This is where a warranty kicks in. Having said all that, and reading hundreds of posts about problems with new units, it is my belief that most issue are related to poor quality control and workmanship at the assembly line. I also believe that this is not unique to Forest River. I think it is an industry wide problem that exists because consumers do not demand quality.
nuff said
I agree 100 %