Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

Opinions of Columbus V/S other high end rigs

Wife and I are planning our retirement, and are looking at RL floorplans. We've seen some pretty high end stuff (Landmark, Lifestyle, Pinnacle, Redwood, New Horizons). All are very nice, and except the Jayco, well over 100k. The Columbus is as the lowest end, and seems to offer more for the money. We are looking at a real FT rig, and need something that will hold up over the years. I really like the 375RL with its double vanities, but the weight may be an issue, since I'm pulling with a single wheel 3500.

Any observations are most welcome.
norfl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

We have a 2013 Columbus 340 RK (rear kitchen) Love the floor plan and unit. BUT, It is now back at the factory for the second winter in a row for repairs. All under warranty, and the factory does seem willing to get it right. Make sure you do a through PDI. As with most manufacturers, they all use the same sub-components, the difference will be in who makes the chassis, how thick the walls and roof are (insulation value) and how well all of these things are assembled. We toured the factory back in august, and actually saw workers running back and forth to do task. Was told that if they get a certain amount of production done the can go home. ????
Also toured the Diesel factory, I pointed out to the floor manager how some floor tiles were sticking up and asked if it would be easier to fix now while glue is not set vs. waiting for customer t complain. He said they will just chisel out and repair if need be. Not impressed. So I believe they all have their problems.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #3

Have heard a lot of mixed reviews on them. Old neighbor bought a brand new one earlier this year. By the time we left the park in May it had spent three weeks back at CW for repairs. And they are full timers. I think for the money the Cedar Creek is a far better unit. But I am predijuce, my 9 year old CC has just this year had a few easily repaired issues.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #4

Whether its a high or low end unit they all could have potential issues. Do your research and pick the one that best serves your needs and budget. If your 3500 is deisel you should have no problems towing the 375rl.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

We're actually more interested in the 325RL after some online research. I agree about issues; for us it's more about how the factory handles each claim.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

Check out the Grand Designs. I believe they are in the price range of the Columbus. I thought they were really put together well. It's on my list for my retirement rig.
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfl1971 View Post
We're actually more interested in the 325RL after some online research. I agree about issues; for us it's more about how the factory handles each claim.

Most of the problems I've had with my 325rl were quality control issues things like molding pulling lose dining table not being secured
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

We have a 2015 320. I ordered 7k axles & still had 2 grease seals leak on the left side. The only major issue I have is all 4 tires are wearing on the outside. If I knew for sure it was the tires, I would just replace them. We had an initial 2 month trip that put 9400 miles on it & have added at least another 1K plus since. We compared several with a similar or identical floor plan & Columbus had the most bang for the buck. We really liked the double vanities but wouldn't trade the large shower for the extra vanity. All makes have some quality control issues & Columbus is no different. There are real sad stories from every brand/make & probably Columbus. We all have different wants/needs but DW & I are very happy with our 'C'.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

We really like our Columbus 320RS and enjoy it on our long weekend trips and occasional long journeys. You state you want a real full time rig. Though there are a number of Columbus owners that consider themselves full timers, the Columbus is not a real full time rig. A real full time rig is built to withstand full time usage. That means a heavier unit; thicker walls, larger frames & axles, different components meant to stand up to daily usage. Go into a full time rig, i.e. Mobile Suites or Big Horn. Big difference in construction and material quality. The Palomino warranty does not cover your rig if used as a "permanent residence".
If you are looking for a real full time unit, spend the time and effort in purchasing a real full time unit. It will pay off in the long run.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfl1971 View Post
Wife and I are planning our retirement, and are looking at RL floorplans. We've seen some pretty high end stuff (Landmark, Lifestyle, Pinnacle, Redwood, New Horizons). All are very nice, and except the Jayco, well over 100k. The Columbus is as the lowest end, and seems to offer more for the money. We are looking at a real FT rig, and need something that will hold up over the years. I really like the 375RL with its double vanities, but the weight may be an issue, since I'm pulling with a single wheel 3500.

Any observations are most welcome.

I agree with amxpress’ comments on full-timer & quality. From your list below, I would also add Mobile Suites. We had a 2013 Columbus 320 and within a year traded or a 2013 Trilogy. The 2013 & 2014’s Trilogy’s are much different than the 2015’s, if considering a Trilogy. Not to over simplify it, but the heavier the rig, usually the better quality, especially for a full-timer. With a 3500 single, you can pull any of those listed below, with the exception of a few of the giant Mobile Suites.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #11

Looked at several rigs; not sure what makes the Big Horn a full time rig, since it's a similar weight and cost as a similar Columbus (a bit heavier, but not by much). Did check out DRV and a few others; considering what they weigh empty, I would have to a dually conversion just for stability. Cost is another factor; I'm not sure we're actually going to be full timing. Rather, we may find someplace we really like on our family trip and decide to get a condo or something there for the winter (looking at south Florida on the Gulf as a possiblity). To that end, a lower end unit should work. However, If we decide that the road becons, we'll definetly look at something more substantial.

One potential change in plans is we may be upgrading to a BH; I've seen some good deals on Silverbacks, Jayco Premiers, Columbus and now the Gateway 3650BH. I really like the construction of the Forrest River products, and need to research the Heartlands, as well. I don't know if our current rig will hold up to 12 months or more of continuous use, so upgrading makes sense.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #12

Talked with the wife yesterday; she agrees a new trailer would make sense considering our upcomming situation. The Columbus 385BH is our current favorite, and the price is right.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

I'm rapidly learning that all trailers seem to lack in certain areas, namely attention to detail that used to be taken for granted with older rigs. It seems that after the economy tanked, makers started cutting too many corners to stay competitive. Even DRV is not immune, as I have read several blogs about poor QC and customer service to get repairs completed. At least with FR, they seem to handle most issues swiftly.

I'm thinking about a CC now; they are more residential, and using Dexter axles v/s Lipert. Would honestly love a New Horizons Majestic, but can't swing the $200k + for the one we want or $$$ for an MDT to haul it.

Tags
columbus