Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Ordering a new Sabre

Greetings everyone. My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our 06 Larado 284 BH TT to a new 5th wheel next spring. We have been to several RV shows and done alot of shopping around and we think we have settled on a new Sabre 34 TBOK. We love the Larado and have had zero issues with it on our many camping trips, the kids however are growing and we need more room. I do have a few questions though about owning a 5th wheel. First is, can I pull it? My tow vehicle is an 02 F-250 4X4 ex-cab short box with a 7.3 diesel. I believe the hitch weight is listed at 1750lbs on the 34 TBOK. Second is my bed long enough? Do I need a slide hitch, and what is a good brand to go with? Also if I wanted to wait for a 2014 model what month would be the earliest to order it in? Any tips, tricks or suggestions about owning a 5th wheel would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Marc and Renee.
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Greetings everyone. My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our 06 Larado 284 BH TT to a new 5th wheel next spring. We have been to several RV shows and done alot of shopping around and we think we have settled on a new Sabre 34 TBOK. We love the Larado and have had zero issues with it on our many camping trips, the kids however are growing and we need more room. I do have a few questions though about owning a 5th wheel. First is, can I pull it? My tow vehicle is an 02 F-250 4X4 ex-cab short box with a 7.3 diesel. I believe the hitch weight is listed at 1750lbs on the 34 TBOK. Second is my bed long enough? Do I need a slide hitch, and what is a good brand to go with? Also if I wanted to wait for a 2014 model what month would be the earliest to order it in? Any tips, tricks or suggestions about owning a 5th wheel would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Marc and Renee.
I tow my sabre 32bhok-6 with a 2500 hd short bed gasser.
You'll be fine.
I have a slider but have yet to use it.
A day will come and I'll be glad I had it.
one thing I highly recommend is a set of air bags for trailer chucking or porpoising.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

Others can speak more to the question about towability than I can, but, like "turbo" I have a SB 2500 gasser with a slider and have yet to use it. And i'm still NOT sorry for paying a little more for it.

As far as the 2014 question...We ordered our new Sabre the 1st week of Feb 2012 and got a 2013.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre
Others can speak more to the question about towability than I can, but, like "turbo" I have a SB 2500 gasser with a slider and have yet to use it. And i'm still NOT sorry for paying a little more for it.

As far as the 2014 question...We ordered our new Sabre the 1st week of Feb 2012 and got a 2013.
I can turn about 75 degrees without hitting cab if needed without sliding slider.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Truck is definetly ready for the new 5'ver.

After I spent thousands of hours researching the "slide or no slide debate" chose the Pullrite Superglide due to me probably needing it one day AND wanting the feature automatic AND not wanting to be one of those guys that popped their window out!

Happy Camping!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

Well I'm a bit more relaxed about the tow vehicle now, thanks for the input everyone. I will look at the pullrite and see if I can find one near me. As for the air bags I have a buddy that installed them on his truck and it wasn't that big of a job. I will find out where he got them.

Our salesman said the same thing about ordering in Feb for a 2014, there are all new interiors coming out, can't find any pics of them yet though. Wanted to make sure he was on the level.

F1100turbo, on a different subject, how do you like your sled? My buddy bought an 2012 FX800 limited last winter. I personally ride Doo, but it's nice to see Arctic Cat come out with a chasis that is a bit more modern.
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Congrats on your decision to order a Sabre 34TBOK. We really enjoy our 34REQS-6. FYI we ordered ours in late Feb '12 and got a '13 seven weeks later.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Well I'm a bit more relaxed about the tow vehicle now, thanks for the input everyone. I will look at the pullrite and see if I can find one near me. As for the air bags I have a buddy that installed them on his truck and it wasn't that big of a job. I will find out where he got them.

Our salesman said the same thing about ordering in Feb for a 2014, there are all new interiors coming out, can't find any pics of them yet though. Wanted to make sure he was on the level.

F1100turbo, on a different subject, how do you like your sled? My buddy bought an 2012 FX800 limited last winter. I personally ride Doo, but it's nice to see Arctic Cat come out with a chasis that is a bit more modern.
Sent pm