Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

Palomini 150RBS

Has anyone had any trouble with AC not cooling the camper. If so what did you do.
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

We have the same problem. We even took ours camper back to the dealer and was told everything is working fine that we just need to park the camper in the shade. To me the air conditioners they put in the side wall are a sorry excuse for an A/C. My opinion they should not say there is A/C in the camper. Saving our money to put a roof one on.
2001 Keystone Bobcat 289FBS
lstall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Not the greatest ac units if your in a hot part of the country. Go for a roof air. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the info I am going to take it back to Camping World first because it is still under warranty. I will hopefully get this taken care of.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

Local dealer here said they stopped ordering units with sidewall ac. They just wouldn't cool the unit. Good luck hope you get it fixed.
I have a palomini 180FB are the water lines on the 150 RBS. Run outside of the TT like they are on the 180FB. I bought foam water pipe insulation to cover mine. I like to camp to late October early November and was worried about them freezing. Don't know how much the insulation will help. But think it has to be better than nothing.
Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

Yes they are. That is a good idea I will have to do that Thanks.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Just to update everyone took my Palomini back to the dealer which is Camping World which is a joke. They informed me that they checked the A/C and it worked fine the only trouble was it was only 73 degrees and or course it worked fine so they won,t do anything about it.That means I will have to replace it myself. I thought dealers were supposed to take care of the customer HA HA. But then why would Palomino put an A/C that is to small. I would not advise anyone from buying from Camping World if they are all like the one in Grain Valley Missouri.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #8

Just a thought but would a higher BTU unit fit where your current AC is.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #9

Talked to the company today and they said the same thing. They said they also do not recommend the unit in my trailer. So the warranty would not cover it. I ordered it today. He also said the dealer should put in a new unit. I am not even going to ask. Just want it back so we can go agin before it gets cold. Like I said before I would never buy from Camping World agin.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Hope you get the new unit in quickly. Enjoy the end of the camping season.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #11

Hopefully I can pick up my camper this week. My new A/C should be here Monday so we can get out next weekend.Really enjoy taking with you.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

Kind of a late posting. We have a 142CK and noticed the AC would not keep things cool when it was really hot. It is only a 9K unit but the problem was the type of deflector it has. No matter how it is set it would only send the cool air towards the door. I added a small fan to blow the air forward and it helped quite a bit. While the trailer doesn't get down to 70 degrees on a 95-100 degree day it does stay comfortable. Here are some pics of what I did.

On a side note when I talked with Palomino way back when about a different AC issue they told me the trailer was setup to accept a 13K roof top unit. I don't know why the dealer didn't order this way as I think it would have worked better from the start.

keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #13

Thanks for the help. Ordered an AC but will have to cut the side of my camper and the cabinets. Decided not to because of the warrenty . So know stuck with a 200.00 AC. I am sure we are not the only ones having this problem. and like you I don't know why they don't put the correct size in is beyond me. It really makes me wish I had checked a little more before I bought but I am stuck for know.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #14

I have been in contact with Palomino and they offer NO help other than tell us to make sure we camp in the shade. Like that can happen every time we go camping. If I had known of this issues, I would have NEVER brought this trailer. Cause now it get a roof A/C put on is going to cost $1500 to $2000. Thanks Forest River for the added expense.
2001 Keystone Bobcat 289FBS
lstall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Thanks for the help. Ordered an AC but will have to cut the side of my camper and the cabinets. Decided not to because of the warrenty . So know stuck with a 200.00 AC. I am sure we are not the only ones having this problem. and like you I don't know why they don't put the correct size in is beyond me. It really makes me wish I had checked a little more before I bought but I am stuck for know.
I don't blame you for not wanting to cut into the walls. I did see some 12K BTU Haier units that should fit the same cutout as the Frigidaire they put in my TT. I do not know if they are good quality or not. I also had concerns about not being able to pull the filter to clean it as it comes out on the left side as opposed to the right on the Frigidaire.

I was able to obtain the roof drawings from Palomino for my unit and it shows all of the bracing and hard points for the TV antenna and AC. Everything is there if a person were to decide to retro fit a roof top unit. Of course that leaves a big hole in the side that would need patching.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #16

It is pretty sad when you buy a camper and the maker knows the AC will not do the job. And I am like you had I known this I would have bought another. Thanks from me too Forrest River.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1 View Post
Local dealer here said they stopped ordering units with sidewall ac. They just wouldn't cool the unit. Good luck hope you get it fixed.
I have a palomini 180FB are the water lines on the 150 RBS. Run outside of the TT like they are on the 180FB. I bought foam water pipe insulation to cover mine. I like to camp to late October early November and was worried about them freezing. Don't know how much the insulation will help. But think it has to be better than nothing.
Mine are run on the outside hanging below the frame in some spots. See My thread here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-95425.html
Heli911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #18

Yes the water lines are on the outside. I am pretty much screwed because the dealer said they wouldn't do anything. So again thanks Forrest River for building something you knew wouldn't work.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Yes the water lines are on the outside. I am pretty much screwed because the dealer said they wouldn't do anything. So again thanks Forrest River for building something you knew wouldn't work.
I've looked on mine and a simple design change would allow all the water lines to be run on the inside. However, i'm not sure that they still wouldn't freeze. I've just accepted the fact that I will try insulating my lines with pipe insulation and try to tuck them under a little better. However for a $15k camper (in any brand) the palomini's are nicer in many ways. Obviously the people assembling these things don't take any more time than necessary to make sure the little things are done properly.

Ultimately I'd like to have an airstream. But $65k for a used one in the same size seems like an awful lot. I'll figure out the little problems and fix them on my own.
Heli911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #20

We like our trailer quite a bit. It is a good size for the DW and myself. We bought it 18 months ago and at the time there really wasn't anything as well laid out or equipped in the 11K street price range. Being our first it has helped us learn a lot about what we would want in our next (permanent?) trailer. There are some things like the AC we wish we had known more about before we bought it but for the most part the fan has resolved that. We have talked about trying the 12K Haier but aren't sure if it is worth it at this point. We've had good results with the one warranty visit we made where Palomino helped us find a local dealer agreed to fix it our way. Other than that I've just had the typical RV issues you even see in the five figure RV's.

I have thought off and on about the water lines as we use our trailer when it is cold out but have just used water jugs for everything. It would be more convenient to be able to fill the inside tank and use a faucet. My lines are mounted to the inside of the side rail. I might give the insulating a try. The worst that can happen is the lines freeze and leaks but I have all of the tools to repair PEX so easily fixed.