Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
Former Navy

Palomini 179RDS

My wife and I have owned a 2016 Palomini 179RDS since March 2017. We bought it Brand New from Hamilton's RV in Saginaw, MI. We tried to buy it from Price Right Auto and RV in Sterling Heights, MI...but that's another story.

This story is about why I joined this Forest River Forum shortly after buying this Forest River product.

I have yet to see anybody post anything concerning the 179 series which came as either an RDS or RBH.

C'mon...someone has had to have purchased one of these aye? So let's share knowledge.

So far our Palomini has been pretty good...except that on our second camping trip the Slide-Out would not retract. But with the help of 6 fellow campers...we snaked it in a few inches at a time, and were able to trailer it home.

Price Right fixed that issue under warranty.

So...any other Palomini Camper owners out there with knowledge to share?
Former Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #2

Hi! We just got one!

We just got one! Same year, same make, same model. We haven't taken it out for a weekend yet, and right now we're battling an electrical issue. We plan to take it out in two weeks time.

Are you still here on the forum?
dave_n_patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Former Navy

Wow...finally!

Good to meet fellow Palomini campers! My wife and I really enjoy ours, it's very cozy and so far no less troublesome than most any other camper you will read about on this forum. We have had some electrical issues as well. Our Slide Out acted up on our second camping trip...it turned out to be faulty wiring all the way back to the converter. And our awning LED strip melted on our last camping trip. But after you have read some of the posts here...it becomes apparent that it's just the way it goes when you own a home on wheels!

Again...it's good to meet you. Please don't hesitate to ask questions or share advice.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #4

Just call us "Former Air Force"

Thanks for the good news about your Palomini. Today has been a tough day of troubleshooting. In fact the "Dave" of "Dave_n_Patricia" is still out at the lot trying to find the cut/kink/other kind of aberration in the undercarriage wiring.

Ours has some after-market insulation underneath that's been more complicated to remove, apparently.

We'll know where to go if we have questions!
Old 10-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

Electrical Problem Solved!

It was some sort of hack job on the electrical that we had to bring in a professional to fix. We're glad we did, though -- someone had forced all systems' electrical to flow through the refrigerator!

It's now fixed and we're ready to go in about a week!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #6

Fellow Palomini owner.

Hello, I read your post and had a smile, not only because we have Palomini 178 RK and cannot find very much on it online or in this forum but we also purchased ours from Hamilton RV last May. And I also retired from the Navy 5 active 16 reserves. We live in Lapeer now. We have used it 4 times and have no complaints
Except for the trim work kinda of poor quality. My understanding is that the Palomini is shipped to Palomino dealers who finish the unit themselves not the factory and that could explain the quality. I made a few modifications, put gas lifts and hinges on the plywood (cut it in half )under the bed really only need the left half water valves.mounted a tv on the wall across from dinette . Put shelves in the kitchen cabinets, we are going to change out the dinette for a Jack knife sofa, and work on some solar .
Regards
Tony
atsieracki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
Former Navy

Palomini Owners Group!

Hey Tony...welcome. There aren't many of us Palomini owners here, so whenever we find another it feels like we have found a kindred spirit! Or at least another camper that chose to go small over going big. Let's all (Dave & Patricia, you, and I) keep in touch through this forum and help each other out whenever we can OK? BTW...was your Salesperson at Hamilton's RV Bob Mosher (Tigerbob)?
Old 02-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #8

Hi atsieracki!

Welcome to Team Palomino! We had just gotten ours last September, so we've only had it out and about once so far.

Dave (22 years AF active) and I (13 years AF active, 12 years AF Reserve, now USAF civilian) live in a cold climate (Colorado Springs, CO) so we've had to store Bojack (our Palomini's name) for the winter. We are very much looking forward to bringing him back out in April.

At the moment we don't have big modification plans but we did have fun exchanging cool Christmas gifts to decorate him. We want a place to display sticker or magnet souvenirs. And we got a map that we can place pins in as we travel. At the moment we don't have any plans outside of Colorado, but maybe we can open up a little as COVID gets better.

Enjoy!
Patricia

2016 Palomino Palomini M-179RDS Travel Trailer
Towed by a 2017 Honda Pilot
Old 02-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #9

Our Bojack Blog

Also, here's a blog we started when we got Bojack, so we can journal our experience. My pride and joy is the mapping, which you can explore on the right-hand column -- I've spent time planning out our "wish list" locations this winter.

The Roving Vollmers, Yet Another RV Blog – Follow Dave and Patricia as they embark on their latest cockamaney idea: learning how to "unplug" with Bojack, their new travel trailer.

Our next trip is scheduled for the weekend of April 24th, at a state park here in town.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #10

Welcome to the Gang!

Welcome smadacram!

We are new to this ourselves, having taken our 2016 179RDS out officially only once. Yesterday we had it in our driveway to dewinterize, and today we are taking it to Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado Springs to give him a "shakeout" for the season.

We have been enjoying our new purchase and new hobby quite a bit so far, but it's definitely a steep learning curve.

Good luck with your new purchase!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 7.31.50 AM.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	252671  

Old 02-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #11

Greetings! As it is the season for making reservations for Colorado camping, it's time to wake up this thread -- do we have plans with our Palominis this season?

Our goal is usually 1x per month during the warm season, and here's what we've planned so far:

April: USAF Academy FAMCAMP "Shake Out" weekend -- de-winterizing/getting out the kinks
May: John Martin Reservoir State Park, near Los Animas, Colorado
July: Arrowhead Point Camping Resort, Buena Vista, CO
August: Mueller State Park, near Divide, CO

I'd like to venture outside the state this fall, but not sure where. Maybe to NM or the TX panhandle over Columbus Day weekend?

Old 06-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #12

Newbies to rv ing

Hello to everyone
My financee and I just bought a 2017 palomino 179rds.
We just got back from our first minute adventure. We sure learned alot.
Any ideas or suggestions for us newbies.
The only issue we have is the bathroom..it's too tight. Can it be modified a bit?
Nb0565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nb0565 View Post
Hello to everyone
The only issue we have is the bathroom..it's too tight. Can it be modified a bit?
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
What kind of modifications do you want to do?
Old 06-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #14

Welcome!

Quote:
Hello to everyone
Welcome welcome!

We barely use our bathroom space, it's great for potty breaks in the middle of the night, but otherwise we tend to camp at places with toilets nearby (RV parks, state parks, national parks, etc.). So we're probably not of much use.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #15
Former Navy

Thumbs up Welcome!

Totally agree with you on the shower\toilet space...but like Dave & Patricia posted, we always set up within a reasonable walking distance from the campgrounds restroom facilities. I can't imagine how you could increase its footprint between the queen bed and the slide out couch. But if you figure it out please post what you did OK?
Old 06-06-2022, 10:24 AM   #16

Modifications?

Quote:
Hello to everyone
we will be staying at campgrounds with bathrooms and showers but we have mobility issues and sometimes it's easier to use the on board bathroom during the night..our issue is that the water knobs stick out so far it makes it impossible for my financee to even use it ...he's 6 ft 3 and not little... lol I'd like to hear if it's possible to either remove the knobs and the box it's attached to .
Nb0565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #17

Shower knobs!

Quote:
we will be staying at campgrounds with bathrooms and showers but we have mobility issues and sometimes it's easier to use the on board bathroom during the night..our issue is that the water knobs stick out so far it makes it impossible for my financee to even use it ...he's 6 ft 3 and not little... lol I'd like to hear if it's possible to either remove the knobs and the box it's attached to .
Ah -- there might be some opportunity there. Our shower knobs were moved (before we bought it) and there are these flat spacers in their place. My husband is working on our camper this morning and he was able to snap a photo just now.

I couldn't tell you how to do it, but I think you might be able to at least solve that particular problem. As for the 6'3", our 6'2" also-not-little-son definitely has to pretzel himself some to get in and out of there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BojackShowerKnobs.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	274446  

Old 06-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #18

Shower knobs

Thank you Dave n Patricia