Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Columbus 302 rs

Palomino Columbus 320RS Leveling System

I"m in the process of ordering the 320RS fifth wheel and need some input from current owners regarding the different leveling systems.

The salesman I'm dealing with has told me there are problems with the 6 way leveling system and that I should go with the manual system instead.

This seems crazy to me. I would think if the 6 way system is a problem I should at least go with the 4 way auto leveling system.

Can current owners tell me about your experience and recommendations for the best leveling setup?

Thanks folks, and have a great weekend.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #2

Hi... we have a 320RS with a 4 way leveling. DH wishes we got the 6 way. We haven't had any problems with the 4 way at all. And by the way we LOVE our Columbus!!!! Check our our FB page too!!! More than happy to help answer any questions you may have about your Columbus!!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Columbus 302 rs

Thanks Felicia and Jeff, I appreciate your input.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
"On the road again"

I have the Columbus 320RS with the six-way and I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Not sure what your sales guy is trying to accomplish, but our Lippert six-way is tremendous. We get to a location...unhook...drop the middle and back legs down generally about half-way with the quick-release...and then push AUTO-LEVEL and for the next minute or two while it's leveling I can be getting other things done.

With our previous fifth wheel we always had to pull one side or the other up on the yellow blocks...no wait, we need TWO blocks...oops...that's too much...scoot over to the left more and see if that works.

Our Lippert has yet to fail and it is always within 0.1 degree of level.

The extra stability (especially with the kingpin tripod we've now added) is amazing. We have ZERO movement as we walk around in the trailer.

GET THE SIX-WAY...forget what the sales guy tells you. You'll kick yourself if you don't.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Columbus 302 rs

Six way leveling

Thanks for the info and taking the time to provide a comprehensive answer.
Don
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Did your sales person provide you with details on the problems they are having with the leveling systems? We just got back from a long awaited maiden voyage with our new 320. When we broke camp this morning and raised the rear levelers, the driver’s side continued to make a noise every few seconds. When I got it home, I lowered and raised it again, this time while watching. The other side locked into place the problem side was unable to lock. It tried twice and stopped. More than likely an adjustment that the dealer will need to make, as this side is covered by the motor, not something I am willing to mess with.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Columbus 302 rs

I'm sorry, but he didn't provide any specifics. Do you have the 4 leveling or 6 leveling system?
Your problem kind of sounds like a clutch issue, if there is one?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #8

We have the 4 No idea on clutch, there was no information provided in the materials package for the lifts...operations or maintenance.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
"On the road again"

First...no, we've not heard of problems nor have we had any issues personally.

Just a suggestion, but I contacted Von Haning at Lippert when we got our unit and I couldn't find the instruction packet. He emailed me the PDF version of the six-way levelers.

His email address is vhaning@lci1.com

If you want to give me your email address, I'll send what he sent me...probably not a lot of difference between the four-way and six-way.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #10

Rjshiflet-
I'm brand new to this forum. Earlier today we decided to purchase the 320RS. What a special 5'er this is!!! We have been looking & comparing for a long time & immediately knew this was the one for us as soon as we looked it over.

We also have on order a 2012 F-250 K. Ranch diesel. Am just somewhat concerned how our truck will handle towing the Columbus.

1: Are you satisfied how your truck does the job?
2: Have you towed thru any high country, such as Smokies, Rockies, etc.?
3: Is yours the 6 & 3/4 or 8' bed & if it is the shortbed, do your have a slider hitch or use any extended pin box such as a sidewinder, etc.?
4: What axle ratio does your diesel have - 3.55 or lower?
5: Have you upgraded the trucks suspension at all (other than probably having Ford's camper package suspension) such as installing air bags or something like Torklift's Stable Load, etc.?

Sorry for all the questions - we have never had a 5th wheel before.

Thanks very much for your help. Your certainly seem to enjoy yours very much & you have every right to be proud of such a fine RV.

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #11
"On the road again"

First of all Chaps - welcome to the Forum. I've just been a member since we ordered our Columbus. You have made a decision that I hope you will enjoy as much as we have...buying a Columbus 320RS. What a great fifth wheel this is!! We're heading out tomorrow for a full week on the road...and look forward to every opportunity to get it out.

I'm glad to answer any questions you have to the best of my knowledge:

1: Are you satisfied how your truck does the job? - 100% satisfied. We pulled a Travel Trailer for 3 years before getting our first 5th Wheel. We pulled that Sandpiper Fiver for 6 years. First with another F250 and the last couple of years with our current one. No hesitation to take it anywhere that we've been so far.

2: Have you towed thru any high country, such as Smokies, Rockies, etc.? - No...the wife is not much of one for mountains even without a trailer behind us. We do travel the Texas Hill Country frequently and they have some significant inclines, but not true "mountains" or high country. I can tell you...with our 250 we have no problem passing other vehicles (if necessary) while climbing the inclines and pulling the Columbus.

3: Is yours the 6 & 3/4 or 8' bed & if it is the shortbed, do your have a slider hitch or use any extended pin box such as a sidewinder, etc.? - We've got the short bed and yes we do have the slider hitch, but I haven't used that since the first year we had a fifth wheel. It just never has been needed...and I have to back down a narrow, tree-lined driveway over 150' every time we get ready to head out. The Columbus has an even better backing/turning radius than the Sandpiper had.

4: What axle ratio does your diesel have - 3.55 or lower? - 3.55

5: Have you upgraded the trucks suspension at all (other than probably having Ford's camper package suspension) such as installing air bags or something like Torklift's Stable Load, etc.? - No modifications at all have been done to the truck beyond adding the 5th wheel in the bed...and the seven-way plug in the bed.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
I"m in the process of ordering the 320RS fifth wheel and need some input from current owners regarding the different leveling systems.

The salesman I'm dealing with has told me there are problems with the 6 way leveling system and that I should go with the manual system instead.

This seems crazy to me. I would think if the 6 way system is a problem I should at least go with the 4 way auto leveling system.

Can current owners tell me about your experience and recommendations for the best leveling setup?

Thanks folks, and have a great weekend.
We have the 4-way; which works just fine and does a great job. Sometiomes more is not better- actually- all the more to go wrong or have trouble with and the added extra weight to pull around.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
"On the road again"

Regarding the leveling system...I went with the 6-way (basically the same price as the 4-way at my dealership) and I wouldn't take for it. We've been out several times, plus leveling it in the driveway and it has never failed to be within 0.1 degree of level either side to side or front to rear. Normally...it is 0.0.

One point of clarification that I didn't understand when I ordered it...the six-way is basically nothing more than a four-way leveling system - but it has the additional two legs as to stabilize. After the front and rear finish adjusting...it then adjusts the center two legs to stabilize the unit.

We also have the standard 5th wheel tripod on the kingpin and we get ZERO bounce or movement as we walk through the trailer...upstairs or downstairs.

My advice...go with the six-way. It's a breeze to use and you'll really enjoy it.

But...the bottom line, it's your rig - you'll be using it so it's your decision.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 06-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Columbus 302 rs

Thanks again for everyone's input. We ordered the 4way, but I'm confident from what's been said here that the 6 way is also solid.
The info about trucks and everything else on this forum is a great education as we will be first timers and expect our unit at the end of July or first week of August.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of other questions. Right now i'm looking for a nice King Ranch F350 about 2008 for pulling.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
I have the Columbus 320RS with the six-way and I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Not sure what your sales guy is trying to accomplish, but our Lippert six-way is tremendous. We get to a location...unhook...drop the middle and back legs down generally about half-way with the quick-release...and then push AUTO-LEVEL and for the next minute or two while it's leveling I can be getting other things done.

With our previous fifth wheel we always had to pull one side or the other up on the yellow blocks...no wait, we need TWO blocks...oops...that's too much...scoot over to the left more and see if that works.

Our Lippert has yet to fail and it is always within 0.1 degree of level.

The extra stability (especially with the kingpin tripod we've now added) is amazing. We have ZERO movement as we walk around in the trailer.

GET THE SIX-WAY...forget what the sales guy tells you. You'll kick yourself if you don't.
Hey guys, how are you. With the 6 way leveling system, what do you use under them, i.e., square 2x6, two, etc? do you carry extra blocks with you? I am not sure if you camp on mostly level places or not. Thanks
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
Columbus 302 rs

Based on our salesmens recommendation we ordered the four way leveling system. When we arrived to pickup the 320rs it didn't have any leveling system. The salesman tried to tell me that the stabilization jacks were the leveling system. He must have thought I was an idiot since I'm a newby.

Whole lot more to our experences with this salesman.
When we are ready we will do an aftermarket leveling system, probably in late October or November.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #17

With all due respect your salesman sounds , well...like a typical salesman. I had JT Strong arm stabilizers installed this week.
Looking forward to seeing how well they work
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
Columbus 302 rs

I will be anxious to hear how the JL's work for you.Been thinking about them either without or with a leveling system.

I'm also curious about the weight of each type of system.
Our next purchase will probably be a satellite antenna with dish network and than resolve what we want to do for leveling and or stabilization.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo View Post
Hey guys, how are you. With the 6 way leveling system, what do you use under them, i.e., square 2x6, two, etc? do you carry extra blocks with you? I am not sure if you camp on mostly level places or not. Thanks
We generally don't use anything beneath them, unless we're on really sandy soil or in case there is a really uneven spot we're camping, then we generally have some wooden blocks or the yellow plastic "Lego-looking" RV blocks. Several years ago I came across some discarded 3x12 pieces of lumber a foot to 15" long and snagged those. We toss them into the back of the truck to have just in case (unless it's somewhere we've been before and know it's pretty level).

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS

Tags
320rs, columbus, jacks, leveling