Old 08-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Palomino 132RD axle & tire off center. Tire rubs

I hope someone can help with this. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2014 Palomino 132FD in pristine condition that was hardly used as the owner works for an oil company in the gulf and is gone a lot of the time. Since he could not use it very much, he sold it to me.

While waxing it I noticed it has 13 in tires but the sticker stated that it came with 14. Owner stated it came with the tires that I got. 14". Thinking the sticker was a miss print I called the Palomino rep. He checked and emailed me back that " We use a ST205/75R14C Radial Ply 6 Maximum load (lb.) 1760
Pressure 50psi". So I ordered the correct tires per your Palomino specs and when I tried to install them, I ran into a problem. The tire works on the driver’s side but rubs the inside wheel well on the passenger side. I crawled under the camper and took measurements and found that the body of the camper was assembled off center. Driver side measurement is from frame to edge of wheel well opening is 2 Ύ”. Measurement on passenger side frame to edge of wheel well opening is 2 1/16’ and this is the side that rubs the 14’ tire.

No sign of tampering or damage to body, frame, or axle, so it looks like it was like this from the factory. While this camper is out of warranty, this is a factory defect. I wrote Palomino but do not expect any results. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Earl.

Sgt York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #2

No one run in to this problem with the body mounted off center?

I had though about buying a wheel spacer to solve the problem. Anyone ever used a wheel spacer and if so, what brand is a good one?

Thanks

Earl

Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

Maybe the dealer noticed the rubbing problem and swapped out some 13" tires and rims for a quick cost-effective fix... I think I would buy some large SS washers and shim out the tire an 1/8 or 3/16 inch and see if that solves the rubbing problem. Then maybe have a fabricator cut you a round steel shim and use that. You might have to replace the wheel studs with something a little longer for a long term fix.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Buy good quality wheel spacers, do not use washers. Measure how much clearance you have on the outside of the tire to the fender and get only the minimum thickness spacer. Make sure you have lug studs long enough to have a good nut depth. Tighten them several times when pulling to make sure they are not working loose.
Kstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
I think I would buy some large SS washers and shim out the tire an 1/8 or 3/16 inch and see if that solves the rubbing problem
I guess I should have added that using the washers would only be for seeing what thickness would be needed to fix the rubbing problem... maybe pull the trailer a mile or two down the road or around an abandon parking lot... certainly not for any length of trip... make sure the wheel nuts can be tightened properly...

thinking about how long my wheel studs are I am pretty sure adding 1/4 inch of washers behind the wheel would not do any harm for a short run, but I am also not sure if you can pound out the wheel hub studs and replace with slightly longer ones either... maybe take a lugnut and measure the approximate length of a stud and go to NAPA to see if you can find 5 longer replacements. Also inquire about a wheel spacer while there or shop online.

Quote:
Make sure you have lug studs long enough to have a good nut depth. Tighten them several times when pulling to make sure they are not working loose.
X2 what he said

Other than that, a frame shop I'm sure could re-position your axles for not much money.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Why not recenter the axle?
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

The axle is not the problem. It's centered on the frame as it should be. The factory mounted the body to the frame off center to the passenger side.

I like the washer ideal for determining how much space I need to move the tire out.

Tags
tire, axle, palomino